How to download a tv show including subtitles

Lateron

Jan 7, 2017
Newbie here; first post.

I have searched a lot but cannot find "How to download a tv show including subtitles"
Watching a tv show with subs is easy.
Downloading a tv show is easy.
But for off-line viewing, I cannot get a tv show to download and download the subtitles as well at the same time.

I am using Kodi 16.1 on a windows 10 machine and Ex**us for the viewing / downloading

Any hints please?

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
SOP for Kodi is to Download the subtitles as soon as you request them from an external source. For live streaming video they get saved to a \Temp directory under a generic name while for playback of offline video they get sent to wherever you've told Kodi to put them via the Subtitles settings in System and renamed with the same prefix as the video.

Subtitles under Ex**us are pretty much the same, they get sent to a \Temp directory but with a different generic name from the Kodi-saved ones. Since this name stays the same Ex**us won't use them for offline playback, if for no other reason than you might have watched another subbed stream inbetween so it would be showing the wrong subs. So if you want to watch videos you've saved off with Ex**us with subtitles you have a number of options....

1) Start watching a video stream in Ex**us with subtitles enabled. Stop it. Dowload the video in Ex**us. Copy the subtitle stream out of the \Temp directory alongside the video. Rename it so the Prefix is the same as the video file. Watch the video outside of Ex**us with subtitles enabled.

2) Set Kodi 'Subtitle storage location' to 'Next to the video'. Install a subtitle add-on. Download the video in Ex**us. Play back the video outside of Ex**us, select Subtitles Icon from the OSD and Download your subs, making sure Subtitles has been enabled in Kodi.

3) [Optional] After 1 or 2 above wrap the subtitles and video stream in an MKV container (fast) or burn the subs into the video (slow) and then you'll have portability and only one file to worry about.

Last edited:

Lateron

Jan 7, 2017
SOP for Kodi is to Download the subtitles as soon as you request them from an external source. For live streaming video they get saved to a \Temp directory under a generic name while for playback of offline video they get sent to wherever you've told Kodi to put them via the Subtitles settings in System and renamed with the same prefix as the video.

Subtitles under Ex**us are pretty much the same, they get sent to a \Temp directory but with a different generic name from the Kodi-saved ones. Since this name stays the same Ex**us won't use them for offline playback, if for no other reason than you might have watched another subbed stream inbetween so it would be showing the wrong subs. So if you want to watch videos you've saved off with Ex**us with subtitles you have a number of options....

1) Start watching a video stream in Ex**us with subtitles enabled. Stop it. Dowload the video in Ex**us. Copy the subtitle stream out of the \Temp directory alongside the video. Rename it so the Prefix is the same as the video file. Watch the video outside of Ex**us with subtitles enabled.

2) Set Kodi 'Subtitle storage location' to 'Next to the video'. Install a subtitle add-on. Download the video in Ex**us. Play back the video outside of Ex**us, select Subtitles Icon from the OSD and Download your subs, making sure Subtitles has been enabled in Kodi.

3) [Optional] After 1 or 2 above wrap the subtitles and video stream in an MKV container (fast) or burn the subs into the video (slow) and then you'll have portability and only one file to worry about.
Thanks very much Stoofer.
Using your option 1) I finally found the .srt file supplied by Opensubtitles in:
C:\Users\******\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\addon_data\service.subtitles.opensubtitles\temp
The rest I can do as usual.

I'm going to try your option 2) as well to see which method is more flexible.