[HOW TO] GET ANY REMOTE CONTROL TO FULLY WORK WiTH YOUR OUYA

Ed777

Dec 23, 2013
Thanks umOuch for the guide.

To replicate the center button on the Ouya controller with the Mele F10 Pro all you have to do is assign a key in the Generic.kl file as HOME

For instance to assign the volume up key you just need to add...

key 115 HOME

You still have to double tap it to bring up the system menu by the way.

Last edited:

HenryFord

Jan 6, 2014
So your saying double tapping this Home button while inside of XBMC will bring up the Ouya System menu?

tahyti

Feb 12, 2014
So your saying double tapping this Home button while inside of XBMC will bring up the Ouya System menu?
Yes it works, thanks a ton Ed777!

Maybe uMouch should edit his first post and add all the command we've been looking for.
So far Im using those :

BUTTON_A = OUYA CONTROLLER's "O" button (system wide ENTER)
BUTTON_B = OUYA CONTROLLER's "A" button (system wide BACK)
BUTTON_Y = OUYA CONTROLLER's "Y" button (power off from the home menu)
BUTTON_X = OUYA CONTROLLER's "U" button (right click option)
MENU = OUYA CONTROLLER's "SYNC/HOME" button (system wide MENU with a single tap)
ENTER = Enter, to send search command whenever in a browser
HOME = OUYA CONTROLLER's "Ouya's system menu" (double tap)

HenryFord

Jan 6, 2014
Very nice, I think I was trying to use the MENU command instead of HOME this whole time as per keytest app.

Ed777

Dec 23, 2013
I should also have said that pressing the HOME key once has the same effect as the center button on the OUYA controller, in that it takes you to the Home screen in XBMC and brings up the bookmarks in the OUYA browser etc.

Also, I just noticed to bring up the system menu a long press of the button works as well.

Last edited:

tahyti

Feb 12, 2014
I should also have said that pressing the HOME key once has the same effect as the center button on the OUYA controller, in that it takes you to the Home screen in XBMC and brings up the bookmarks in the OUYA browser etc.

Also, I just noticed to bring up the system menu a long press of the button works as well.
That's great, make the use of MENU useless.

lshizzle

Dec 30, 2013
So what has everyone decide on the best key layout?? For the F10 pro i use the home button for back, then the button next to it for context, then the prev/next button for volume amplification, and the blue go button on the keyboard im going to change to home right after the lady go to bed tonight. It was nice having the f10pro hooked up to a pc because i got to use the phone buttons, and the smart assistant button. 3 buttons doesn't seem like a lot more but it was great lol.

JustaBrother

Feb 23, 2014
It will put the Ouya in sleep and wake. When switching to different hdmi input I use a harmony remote. You're right though I should test more. Waking Ouya with PS3 is sloow when switch back. Can't test til late night but will post results.

Last edited:

tahyti

Feb 12, 2014
So what has everyone decide on the best key layout?? For the F10 pro i use the home button for back, then the button next to it for context, then the prev/next button for volume amplification
It seams like a great idea but I cannot get it to work... I used Keymap editor to assisgn next and prev button to volume up and down and then edited the file to read volamp instead of volume and it doesnt work...

Did I miss something?

Edit : Btw, you should edit your generic.kl file to have the the button right next to home act as context/menu/ouya system(double tap). Make a good use of this one since half the button dont work.

Change 139 HOME

Why is there no way to do anything with phone, mute and pad buttons? They are infrared as well?

Last edited:

HenryFord

Jan 6, 2014
Is there anyway around the issue with the key mappings in Gotham Beta so we can have the Mele F10 pro perform like it does with other builds?

tahyti

Feb 12, 2014
Is there anyway around the issue with the key mappings in Gotham Beta so we can have the Mele F10 pro perform like it does with other builds?
I don't use the volume buttons since they have no use in music, volumamp dont work there, so for everything I'm using it does works.

As I wrote in another thread, U (which is X in the keymapping) and Y button do not works in gotham, as they are not recognised by xbmc.

Xbmchub's keymap, use the 139 button (second on left, right next to the little house) as X which is why is does not work there.

Just change this 139, for example use HOME and 217 to ENTER, change everything else in keymap editor.

As is, my setup is as follow , from left to right below the main round of the remote : back (everywhere), Home (xbmc's context one tap, ouya's system everywhere with double tap), volume_down in ouya/general menu (called home in keymap editor) in xbmc, Volume_up in ouya/ music fullscreen in xbmc.

Behind the remote on the keyboard, in XBMC, I have : Esc set as Fullscreen video and Space as Music playlist.

I'll upload my keymapping for ouya/xbmc if anyone's interested.

HenryFord

Jan 6, 2014
I don't use the volume buttons since they have no use in music, volumamp dont work there, so for everything I'm using it does works.

As I wrote in another thread, U (which is X in the keymapping) and Y button do not works in gotham, as they are not recognised by xbmc.

Xbmchub's keymap, use the 139 button (second on left, right next to the little house) as X which is why is does not work there.

Just change this 139, for example use HOME and 217 to ENTER, change everything else in keymap editor.

As is, my setup is as follow , from left to right below the main round of the remote : back (everywhere), Home (xbmc's context one tap, ouya's system everywhere with double tap), volume_down in ouya/general menu (called home in keymap editor) in xbmc, Volume_up in ouya/ music fullscreen in xbmc.

Behind the remote on the keyboard, in XBMC, I have : Esc set as Fullscreen video and Space as Music playlist.

I'll upload my keymapping for ouya/xbmc if anyone's interested.
Thanks for the info, that helps alot. I'm interested in seeing your keymapping if you want to upload it.

Bouya

Mar 9, 2014

As is, my setup is as follow , from left to right below the main round of the remote : back (everywhere), Home (xbmc's context one tap, ouya's system everywhere with double tap), volume_down in ouya/general menu (called home in keymap editor)
I'm using the H7 with SPMC 12.4.1 and it works very well. Is there a keyboard shortcut for the context menu? The only way I can get it to open is to use the touchpad to mouse over a file and then use the right mouse button to bring it up. When I double tap the explorer(e) button, it will bring up the system menu, however a single tap goes to xbmc home screen. I would like to bring up the context menu with a single tap.

Last edited:

tahyti

Feb 12, 2014
To Bouya :

Go to:
System, Add- ons, Get Add-ons, XBMC.org, program Add-ons.
Keymap editor : Install.

Go to program, Keymap Editor.
Edit. Global, navigation, Context menu : whichever key you want. Edit : go back and save.

There's a reason the OP made a step by step way to configure your remote.
To each his own, and its changing with XBMC's version.
You need to understand how this works if you want it to work in the long run.

Last edited: