[HOW TO] GET ANY REMOTE CONTROL TO FULLY WORK WiTH YOUR OUYA

giveantherTR

May 10, 2014
did it, but nothing. I can see I clicked [to explain to you] it but it doesn't do anything.
Like, I click it but it (mount r/w) but it does nothing, just says r/only.

I think Im going to have to try another version of this app
I use the one this thread or instructions linked.
Which version number do you use?

giveantherTR

May 10, 2014
I don't know how to root, can I ask what app you use for that.
n thanks in advance.
I never rooted, (really don't know much about).
Should I do a temp root?

giveantherTR

May 10, 2014
I used re 2172, root my ouya 1.1 it worked, thanks, but even though I wrote a new key, it didn't respond when finally trying.
But I have another remote. I only wanted one key the sync/home. the remote I have has everything but that.
but it still could sleep the ouya.
anyway these last days was fun and informative, but not a thrill, still cant be mad though cause my other remote works great still.
(just 1 button many days?)
btw I used if anybody interested Ortek Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver for Home, Premium and Ultimate Edition
and root my ouya 1.1
root explorer 2172
thank lartomer for your help

lartomar2002

Dec 23, 2012
Near Kennedy Space Center
I don't know how to root, can I ask what app you use for that.
n thanks in advance.
I never rooted, (really don't know much about).
Should I do a temp root?
Go here http://forum.xda-developers.com/ouya. Then go to the development section and search for one click root. After rooting you can install Google Playstore. I would also advise to learn how to sideload using one of the cloud storage services, I use Dropbox. You can get Dropbox app from their web site using the Ouya browser. I download non Google play apps to my tablet then upload them to Dropbox then open Dropbox on the Ouya and there you will find app (apk). Read and search the xda Ouya and you will find all types of good info.

TechGuy8

May 19, 2014
UPDATE :)

Testing Remotes
- Tested with two remotes (Logitech Harmony 600 and this one aka the shitty remote)
- KeyTest recognizes entries from the shitty remote (so it's a matter of completing steps 4-22 above)
- The Harmony remotes do not come with a USB IR Receiver nor Bluetooth so it has no way of get it's signal to the OUYA.
- I tried using the IR Receiver from the shitty remote with no success so I'm assuming it's not a standard RC6 receiver or it's just not undersatnading the Harmony codes being sent
I have a shitty remote that you were testing. But I purchased mine from eBay. The shitty remote does not work well as it sends the same command multiple time. I use the USB IR receiver from the shitty remote and configured my Harmony 700 to work with Ouya.

Use Chinavasion Media Player CVSB-983 to configure Harmony remote.

My Harmony 700/USB IR receiver/Ouya combination works very well without remapping any keys. But I like to remap the 4 color keys on my Harmony 700 to the Ouya controller Y, U, O and A botton. The 700 color keys have the same colors as the controller button. But I do not get the expected result.

A = BUTTON_B
O = BUTTON_A
Y = BUTTON_Y
U = BUTTON_X

Harmony 700 scancodes
Red key = 59
Green key = 60
Yellow key = 61
Blue key = 62

On the generic.kl, key 59, 60, 61 and 62 correspond to F1, F2, F3, F4 respectively.

I made the following changes to the generic.kl:
key 59 BUTTON_B
key 60 BUTTON_A
key 61 BUTTON_Y
key 62 BUTTON_X

When I hit the red key, I am NOT getting the function of the Ouya controller red button.

Please help.

tahyti

Feb 12, 2014
Is it just me or last night's update deleted our custom keylayout? I can't get the back and Home button to work anymore....!!!! :mad:

Edit :
Yep for me the last update deleted my custom Keymap : Generic.kl which never happened before.

I had to re root my ouya, install root explorer and put it back in system/user/keylayout...

few links to save times to some if needeed...

rootmyouya

root explorer

Generic.kl

Easy to upload with the new Upload in Make.

Last edited:

lshizzle

Dec 30, 2013
hmmmm my generic.kl file always has gotten deleted when i update, i keep it in a folder safely so when i reroot i just replace it and reboot. Also i use file manager and its always there after i update, so its just a few click and everything works perfectly!

HenryFord

Jan 6, 2014
Is it just me or last night's update deleted our custom keylayout? I can't get the back and Home button to work anymore....!!!! :mad:

Edit :
Yep for me the last update deleted my custom Keymap : Generic.kl which never happened before.

I had to re root my ouya, install root explorer and put it back in system/user/keylayout...

few links to save times to some if needeed...

rootmyouya

root explorer

Generic.kl

Easy to upload with the new Upload in Make.
This post could really help me! I thought it was a Gotham thing why my back button wouldn't work. Pretty sure you are using the mele f10 pro right?

tnichols

Mar 30, 2013
I purchased a USB wireless micro keypad/thumbpad and it works flawlessly on OUYA. Same with any other USB PC keypad.