How to get more than 50 results browsing by year?

Shinji3rd

Jan 6, 2017
Hi! I have a "problem" and I couldn't find information anywhere. Maybe someone can help me and others with this.

I've been watching movies from 1967 using Ex**us. I wanted to see movies from early years, but 1967 was the earliest on the list if you browse by year. No problem, great year with great movies. But guess what: after I watched some, I found out that the list only shows 50 results (not the movies list, I am referring to the list of years) and as we are in 2017, the earliest year on the list is now 1968. I want to know if there is a way to see more results on that list, to see movies from years prior to 1968.

I have tried other great addons, and the problem is the same, so I think it is a system wide limitation or something like that, and I also think that there should be a way to change it.

Shinji3rd

Jan 6, 2017
Go into search type 1967 an d you will find them
Nope, it does not work. Already tried that. Some results appear, but just a few compared to the ones I have seen browsing by "category". You can test it by searching for example 1969. Also, if you search like that, you will see all the movies that include "1969" in the name, even if they are not from that year.

So, searching is not the solution.

Stoofer

Staff member
Apr 18, 2015
Wales
There is no option in the Ex**us settings to increase the number of years displayed from 50 because that value is hard-coded into one of the Python files it uses. There has to be some limit to what Ex**us displays in this category and that limit is set be approximately 50 minus the current year. Since "50" is just a number you can edit the value yourself in the code to whatever you want - I set it to 75 and now my Years list goes all the way back to 1943.

I can tell you the filename and line to change if you want but I will assume you know a bit about where to find things and what it all means because if you don't then you shouldn't really be messing around in there.

The changes will of course be temporary and overwritten when Ex**us updates itself next.

Shinji3rd

Jan 6, 2017
Great! If you can tell me which is the file and line to change, it would be awesome Stoofer.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
.../resources/lib/indexers/movies.py

Code:
for i in range(int(year)-0, int(year)-50, -1): self.list.append({'name': str(i), 'url': self.year_link % (str(i), str(i)), 'image': 'years.png', 'action': 'movies'})
You want to change the 50 in that line to however many years you want to dial back to...

Editing can be a challenge on an Android box, might be easier to edit the file on a computer save it to a USB stick and then simply copy it over to the correct place in the Android install...

.py files are just text files so they can easily be opened and edited with a program like Notepad, just make sure when you re-save in Notepad you either just save, or if you do a save as you select file type 'all files' or else Notepad will append a .txt extension on the save as file, and it will need to be renamed...

The installed Ex**us files in Android can be found at

.../sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/plugin.video.Ex**us/

And you can download the current version of Ex**us here https://offshoregit.com/Ex**us/plugin.video.Ex**us/plugin.video.Ex**us-2.0.26.zip

Last edited: