how to install openelec on mx2

spanky

Dec 25, 2012
here is how to install openelec on g-box mx2 (kodi 15.2)

note before you get started
!!! if you use your mx2 for anything other then kodi do not use this for it will wipe android from your mx2!!!

here is things need,d

#1 SD Card
#2 The Zip file ( https://github.com/codesnake/OpenELEC.tv/releases/download/6.0.0/OpenELEC-Amlogic.MX2.arm-6.0.0.zip ) containing the OpenELEC build, recovery.img, and AML Script.
#3 Toothpick or small screwdriver
#4 i suggest hard-wiring the mx2 upon first install

Toothpick Method Instructions:
(#1 Unplug the power to the box.
#2 Using a toothpick or something similar, insert it into the back of the A/V port until you hear a slight click sound. (This is the hidden button in the A/V port and you should be able to feel the button depress)
# 3 Holding the button down in the A/V port, you will plug the box back into the power.
#4 You should now be in recovery.)

now unzip the file you got in step #2,

you should see 3 files inside it named
Openelec-Amlogic.mx2.arm-6.0.0.zip
Recovery.img
Factory_Update_param.aml

#5 now to get started
Load your SD card with the 3 files as seen below at the root of your SD card. This won’t work properly if you do not put it at the root.

#6 Once you have the three files on your SD Card, let’s flash our MX2! First, make sure you back up any and all files that you have on your MX2. This will erase EVERYTHING. Put your SD card into your MX2, press the reset button located in the back of your MX2’s A/V port (see Toothpick Method Instructions above for more info), sit back and watch your MX2 flash away! If you don’t see the flashing screen (pictured below), you may have an issue with your SD card or the file structure on your SD card. Verify that all the files are, again, on the root of your SD card.

#7 Now that your box has flashed and successfully restarted, you should see the OpenELEC boot screen

It’ll load up to the welcome screen, and there are just a few things that you can do to make this setup work a little better. First and foremost, WiFi is not enabled at the start, so you’ll have to enable that in the System Settings. Navigate to “System > OpenELEC > Network” and select Wireless Networks. This will allow you to browse the wireless connections and add them to your MX2. Next, you will want to enable automatic updates which can be found from “System > OpenELEC > System” under the “Updates” section.

Last edited:

MetalKettle

Banned
Oct 5, 2015
Definately worth doing. I had an old M8 knocking about doing nothing. Installed OpenELEC and it was like a little beast of a machine, alot better than having android.

peteman

Dec 14, 2012
Thanks for the update..just switched a mx2 too openelect and what a difference this does.Works great.Should of done this a long time ago

Thanks peteman

spanky

Dec 25, 2012
post updated to OpenELEC-Amlogic.MX2.arm-5.95.4 now. (kodi 15.1)

here is the tar file for upgrading OpenELEC-Amlogic.MX2.arm-5.95.4
(note)
( this file is not for a fresh install!! ,use the zip file provided in the first post for fresh install)

Last edited:

Kutty

Sep 30, 2015
Can I use the files from link OpenELEC-Amlogic.MX2.arm-5.95.3 to update from 5.0.3 on Matricom MX2? Please advise,Thanks

spanky

Dec 25, 2012
Can I use the files from link OpenELEC-Amlogic.MX2.arm-5.95.3 to update from 5.0.3 on Matricom MX2? Please advise,Thanks
yes you can use the file posted in post #9 to upgrade your openelec to 5.95.4

Kutty

Sep 30, 2015
I am trying to copy the downloaded files to an SD Card using WINSCP, but can not find the SD Card! It can find only the root. Any other way of copying to SD Card? Kindly advise, Many thanks

spanky

Dec 25, 2012
post updated to OpenELEC-Amlogic.MX2.arm-5.95.5 now. (kodi 15.1)

here is the tar file for upgrading OpenELEC-Amlogic.MX2.arm-5.95.5
(note)
( this file is not for a fresh install!! ,use the zip file provided in the first post for fresh install)

dick b

Dec 8, 2014
Hi,
cant get the zip file on page1 to download it just says waiting for mediafire but nothing happens,It may be just me?