how to install openelec on mx2

spanky

Dec 25, 2012
Sorry....but is the upgrade performed the same way as a fresh install?
no, enable samba in openelec settings and then you can access openelec from your pc then drop the .tar file in the update folder and then reboot the mx2.

adioukrou

May 12, 2012
Hello guys, For sometimes now I have been trying to get into the recovery mode of my mx2(using the the toothpick methode) but nothing work. I don't know what to do to get it going. Thanks

loup

Dec 23, 2015
Hi adioukrou as long as you have the 3 files on a formatted sd card, turn your box on its side blue light side on the bottom, insert toothpick minus the sharp points it can just sit in there.Press and hold toothpick on hidden button, now insert power cord keep holding toothpick button . Your box will start to boot as normal, keep holding that toothpick after a few seconds it will start to erase

jaded

Mar 20, 2014
Interesting...after reading this I looked on ebay and found this (quad core 2.0GHz) for $28. with shipping...or
MX2 clones which can be bought for same price but are duo core.

I've only recently considered buying a box to ease up my computers limited but so far adequate resources to run Kodi on my TV as a secondary monitor while I surf the net and work other applications. As far as hardware goes you really get much more bang for your buck it seems with some of these quad core androids...as compared to a raspberry Pii (which I was thinking of buying). So...if you didn't already own one would you bother getting one for the purposes of running openelec which is dependent on unofficial sources? Forgive me if this is slightly off topic...but you guys would know best.

Last edited:

spanky

Dec 25, 2012
me my self i would go with the rpi2 with official openelec over one of them clones any day.

bromerzz

Nov 9, 2012
Cyprus
Raspberry pi2 with Openelec every time. Easy to install, easy to maintain, easy to clone setups and plenty quick enough.

ute

Dec 16, 2012
absolutely Rpi 2 , only do this to a mx because "you can" and to resurrect a dead box

ute

Dec 16, 2012
lol good luck ..I have not been able to find a solution at all

roll back to the first release to get pvr function back

faresqc

Dec 20, 2015
Ok and to downgrade do I just need to put an earlier .tar file in the update folder? Also, is all my data gonna be lost?
Thank you for your help

xoted

Jan 12, 2015
hi spanky
will this work on any mx2 android box (mine has been running on openelec Linux 13 using gotham and fusion ) I am only interested in openelec.Linux not android.
is it still valid 8/01/2016 or is there different updates needed.
thanks a lot