How to install openELEC to a HD or USB

2pak

Apr 6, 2013
Hey Guys

What size SD card and USB Drive would I need to do this. Also, are the OP instructions valid to do from a Windows machine?

trogggy

May 6, 2012
France
I'm using a 256MB sd card (the speed's irrelevant, it's just to boot) and a 4GB flash drive which seems plenty big enough at the moment. The best solution seems to be a usb3 flash, which will probably be at least 8GB.

Frederick_99

Sep 18, 2012
UK
Apologies If I'm being dim but I have just tried to follow your instructions and failed.

I did seem able to follow the instructions OK for formatting the USB drive using the Raspian image and these seemed to complete OK.

However, after loading the SD card following your instructions and firing up the pi it just sat there :(

Can I ask that in your instructions

6. Find a sdcard with minimum 128MB format it as fat label it SYSTEM and copy the following files from the lastest 3.0.0 openELEC release: (http://openelec.tv , you can use 7zip or winrar to unpack it)
Code:

All the files from the 3rdparty folder
and
SYSTEM and KERNEL from the target folder

do you mean that all the files go into the root of the SD card ( ie bootcode.bin, config.txt, fixup.dat, LICENCE.broadcom and start.elf) or do you put the "3rd party folder" or the "bootloader" folder into the root of the card.

7. Rename KERNEL to kernel.img on the sdcard. >>>> Also does kernel.img have to be in lower case ?

I think i've tried every permutation but no luck so far.

PS Ive used the later 3.0.1 openelec

thanks

ute

Dec 16, 2012
This is what I did , worked perfectly

Write your image to the usb 3.0 stick ( I used Mark Rich but Tuxens works great as well )
Format a SDcard with minimum 128MB ( or any larger size or speed )as fat label it SYSTEM.
Plug the USB stick and the SDcard into the computer.
Now copy all the 10 files from the USB stick and onto the SDcard:
Code:
bootcode.bin, cmdline.txt, config.txt,
fixup.dat, kernel.img, LICENCE.broadcom,
openelec.ico, README.md, start.elf, SYSTEM
After that pull the USB stick out from the computer to avoid editing the wrong files just set it a side.
On the sdcard open the file cmdline.txt in notepad and change the following line:
Code:
boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 ssh quiet
Into:
Code:
boot=/dev/mmcblk0 disk=/dev/sda2 ssh quiet
but do this instead
boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 instead of mmcblk0 in cmdline.txt since two partitions where created on the sdcard by the image

then hit dev update grab the latest nightly for all the updates

Thanks to Tuxen for this

ute

Dec 16, 2012
my above post is just for the stated images ................not specifically Raspian

Thug

Apr 24, 2013
Thanks very much for this guide. I'm using a USB 2.0 flash disk at the moment

I was going to delete the 2nd partion on my SD card and extend the 1st one to use the complete card but then realised that you can't use an 8gb SD card with Fat 16 :)

garyhayes

Dec 31, 2012
Hi , im running windows 8 and really struggle with all the editing:( Is there a USB image somewhere I can download ?

Thug

Apr 24, 2013
Hi , im running windows 8 and really struggle with all the editing:( Is there a USB image somewhere I can download ?
No, there isn't a USB image. All images are specifically written for SD Card. Have a look at the first post by Tuxen where he gives a step by step guide to write an image to SD and then copy a partition over to USB.

As a side note and I don't know if its because I'm using a USB 2.0 but sometimes when I reboot, sda1 isn't available and I have to restart the RPi.

nothere

Banned
Nov 25, 2012
No, there isn't a USB image. All images are specifically written for SD Card. Have a look at the first post by Tuxen where he gives a step by step guide to write an image to SD and then copy a partition over to USB.

As a side note and I don't know if its because I'm using a USB 2.0 but sometimes when I reboot, sda1 isn't available and I have to restart the RPi.
Never experienced this myself. I've used sd.card, usb 2 and usb 3. The pi must be having trouble seeing the flash drive straight away. Strange. What usb stick is it?

Qasimja

Apr 21, 2013
question can i backup my sdcard that im running now and write that to a usb thumb drive or would that not work

Last edited:

Thug

Apr 24, 2013
question can i backup my sdcard that im running now and write that to a usb thumb drive or would that not work
You would need to backup the Storage partition from the SD and then restore that to the USB.

As I'm running a Linux box, I just copied mine over but don't forget to include the hidden files.

Once done you need to change your config.txt file to reflect that you're now using sda1.

Last edited:

Thug

Apr 24, 2013
Never experienced this myself. I've used sd.card, usb 2 and usb 3. The pi must be having trouble seeing the flash drive straight away. Strange. What usb stick is it?
I'm going to try a brand name USB 3 and see if that cures the issue.

Qasimja

Apr 21, 2013
You would need to backup the Storage partition from the SD and then restore that to the USB.

As I'm running a Linux box, I just copied mine over but don't forget to include the hidden files.

Once done you need to change your config.txt file to reflect that you're now using sda1.
would that be the /userdata/ folder your refering to?

Thug

Apr 24, 2013
would that be the /userdata/ folder your refering to?

When you insert your SD Card into a card reader and File Manager opens up, you will see 2 partitions. One is called "System" and the other "Storage". You need to backup/copy the whole "Storage" partition over to the USB and not a particular folder.