How to install openELEC to a HD or USB

xdriver

Mar 25, 2013
I have done this as of today but when I put both the flash drive and the SD card in and boot, I get the error:

Error in mount_flash: mount_part: Unknown filesystem
1.976625 System Halted

What do I do? Both the SD card and the USB stick were working on the Raspberry pi before I tried to run it off the USB

Thank you.

xdriver

Mar 25, 2013
I think I solved the problem. I had created the cmdline file on my mac using text edit which saves files as .rtf and then I changed the extension to .txt This was the issue. The .rtf saved formatting in the headers or something and when I copied the .txt file (with the changed extension) to my virtual box and viewed it with notepad in windows, all the formatting information was there. I then deleted the information with notepad and copied it over to the SD card. The raspberry pi booted right up.

My last question is how do I format or add permissions to my USB stick so I can read it on my mac and add movies/music etc to it. Thank you

trogggy

May 6, 2012
France
My last question is how do I format or add permissions to my USB stick so I can read it on my mac and add movies/music etc to it. Thank you
Your usb stick is formatted in ext4, so you need a way to read / write to that on a mac. No idea how easy that is - in windows it's a PITA. Maybe it's possible to do it reliably.
You can easily add stuff to the stick (or remove it) via sftp - in windows / linux I connect to the pi via filezilla, it should be just as straightforward on a mac.

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
In the top menu of osX find "connect to server" choose this then enter \\openelec if that does not work try \\ipaddressofrpi alternatively use a scp client as troggy says.

Thanks for posting the solution to your mistake with cmdline.txt it would have been hard for us to guess. Heh

Last edited:

j.bond

Nov 17, 2012
tuxen

Thank you very much for this thread, took me a bit to get it up and running but well worth the struggles.
So that everyone know what I am using, its a PC (Windows 7) and a 2.0 usb stick, my Pi has never ran as good.

Again tuxen, thank you for starting this thread. :D

phreatic

Apr 20, 2013
England
Hi all.

Thanks to Tuxen for this thread.
I too have a quick question. My system is up and running fine, I'm just greedy ;).
I Have the 8Gb Transcend 700 USB3, but 500Mb (!2%) is lost to programs that I won't use on the Pi. Is ther a way of removing them and getting the full 8Gb, less the capacity lost to formatting?

r
P

mr black

Dec 31, 2012
Hai Tuxen I am goning try this.Sorry for y english...You say at the section do not use putty. What can i use then ?

comtech

Jun 12, 2013
Hello all together.

I'm new to this forum and just set up my second Raspberry Pi with tuxens (how to) on a usb stick. After several tries I finally got it up and running just fine. It really is much faster and smother than my first setup only on SD Card.

Unfortunately I do have one major problem and I have no idea whats wrong with my setup.

There seems to be no way to connect to my Raspberry with WinSCP or with Putty. IP fixed, system accessible in Windows Explorer with \\192.168.1.90\ and I am even able to control the device using the App on my Smartphone. Music / Movies / Pictures on my NAS all accessible via smb connection, AirPlay working without any problems....

Does anybody have an idea whats wrong with this thing?

My WinSCP comes up with the following message "Network error: Connection refused" using (root) and (openelec) as username / password login. On my other Pi this works just perfect.

comtech

Jun 12, 2013
Yes that might be. In the meantime I just set up everything from scratch using the other tutorial from you.

http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/raspberry-pi-discussion/8657-install-openelec-usb-hd-10mins.html

It took me some time to set up everything the way it needed to be to boot up (/dev/sda or sda1 or sda2...).
Finnally I found out that the MiniPartitionTool did not a clean job in formatting my SD card and USB Stick.
The 16GB USB3 SanDisk Stick allways had a free non partitioned space at the end, even if I told the tool
to use the whole space to set up a FAT32 partition. Once partitioned and formatted with the windows own
drivemanager it worked flawless and booted up and installed everything the way it should.

The thing crashed on me a few times setting up everything in OpenElec. I lost the complete configuration
after these crashes, the Raspberry Pi booted up and restarted the complete setup again no idea why.

Now, the fourth set up worked. I could change language, set network IP, mount my NAS folders for
music / movie and photo and even scraped all my movies. Today I entered the MPG2 and WVC1 licenses
and the device is still running.

I experienced that if you try to shut down the RPi it will reboot which seems to be a known problem. I
think that was the reason why my configuration got lost several times yesterday. If you just unplug
power to the RPi because there seems to be no way to safely shut down the device it almost everytime
crashes the configuration. Right now I will not try to shutdown or reboot the Pi, I'm afraid I again can
start from scratch if i disconnect power to it.....

comtech

Jun 12, 2013
Ok, I'll try to use another one. I do have a iPad Poweradaptor which is definitively able to provide enoug power to the Pi. I just hope that I can shutdown my Pi safely to replace the powersupply.

I' let you know....

Thanks for your advise.

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Also the restart shutdown bug is new yes I got it to.. Just restart twice and pull the plug as soon as you see the color gradient screen.

Wangsta

Feb 19, 2014
Hi and thanks for great information how to get most out of Pi.

I have couple question for you?

So I have bought 2tb usb 3.0 powered external hardrive http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/external-hard-drives/desktop-hard-drives/expansion-hard-drive/?sku=STBV2000200

I also have usb 3.0 stick http://usb.userbenchmark.com/Transcend-JetFlash-700-USB-30-16GB/Rating/1275&tab=Review

My sd card is http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/831337-REG/Kingston_SD10V_8GB_SDHC_Entry_Level_Class.html

Now i want to know is it bossible that i format the 2tb hdd to 2 partition ( 10gb extfs and rest fat32 ) or is it better to make both partition to ext format, or something else?

Can i then install openelec to that 10gb partition, and put my media to second partition?

Or is it better to use usb stick for openelec and hdd for media?

Is it ok to format the media partition to fat32 or does it also have to be extfs to get most out of speed?

Next think is that i want to have total noobquide to do this right?

I´m bretty sure that i can follow the 10 step tutorial from first post, but there is still couple difference to setup.

I´m using mac computer so i can´t use mini partition program, but my mac has drivers for extfs http://http://www.paragon-drivers.com/extfs-mac/

So think i can make the partitioning with that?

When everything is done and my openelec runs from hdd or usb, do i still need the sdcard? or is there something what Pi still need to boot up?

Please save my springtime and give me good information how to get all up and running as smooth than it can.

aboutmike

Jul 24, 2014
quick question, for the step 6

6. Find a sdcard with minimum 128MB or reuse the one you used for rasbian. Format it as fat32 label it SYSTEM and copy the following files from the lastest 3.0.x openELEC release: (http://openelec.tv , you can use 7zip or winrar to unpack it)

do i format it as a primary or logical?

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Some people are having problems with the usb not mounting on the new b++ due to the current limiter feature. If you are having problems FIRST CHECK YOUR POWER SUPPLY IS 2 AMPS as this is what is required for B+
Then make sure you disable all overclocking to see if it then boots
If that still fails you may need to add either:
Code:
 safe_mode_gpio=4
Or
Code:
 max_usb_current=1
To your config.txt.
Just seen this info on the new features of the b++ but this should only be used if you have a external Hdd rather then a usb stick
Code:
https://projects.drogon.net/testing-setting-the-usb-current-limiter-on-the-raspberry-pi-b/

Last edited:

wwwbust

Sep 3, 2015
I want to buy raspbarry pi 2 either a or b how defcult is it to setup on a sdcard and get it ready for the raspbarry? and whats best to set it up with
mac,windows or linux?
thank you