[HOW TO] Install XBMC on Amazon Fire TV Using Nothing But Your Android Phone Or Table

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
So as promised, I have spent the evening testing alternate options for installing XBMC onto the FireTV as I know most users will be lost upon installing ADB on their computers (this took me a long time when I first did it 2 years ago... so don't feel alone). I am happy to report I have found a MUCH EASIER METHOD if not the EASIEST CURRENT METHOD of installing XBMC.

This guide seems long... But once you have done it... Its quick and easy to install apk files via adb

ALL YOU NEED IS ANOTHER ANDROID DEVICE (phone or tablet)

For this guide I have installed XBMC beta 3 via an HTC ONE MAX.

1) Go to the PlayStore and grab two apps:

EZ File Manger

JS Terminal

2) Open EZ File Manager and navigate to your download folder.

3) Long press the XBMC.APK

4) Tap the menu button on the bottom right (three vertical dots)

5) Select Properties (we are looking for the path or directory of the the XBMC file)

6) Select the option COPY FULL PATH.

7) ON YOUR FIRE TV... Navigate to SETTINGS/SYSTEM/DEVELOPER/ and turn ON ADB.

8) Locate the Fire TV IP address via SETTINGS/SYSTEM/ABOUT/NETWORK

9) BACK TO PHONE OR TABLET... Open JS Terminal and type in:

adb connect (your Fire TV IP):5555

10) Once the connection is established type in:

adb install

11) no after "adb install" type one space and then long press the CURSOR so we can PASTE the full path of the XBMC FILE from step 6.

IT SHOULD THEN LOOK LIKE THIS

12) Wait a few moments (up to 3 minutes) until you receive a SUCCESS message. Once you see this... You are good to go.

It will then be installed and locates under SETTINGS/APPLICATIONS on your FireTV.

Last edited:

Esso1001

Apr 27, 2013
As for streaming. I have been using it for 2 days now.. No complaints. As for VPN.. Not sure

justan00b

Apr 8, 2014
Just wanted to say thanks for the simple and quick setup !

I was curious if you knew how I could place a zip file on the FireTV file system in order me to to open it with XBMC (1Ch**nel repository)
I tried plugging in a USB stick in the FireTv but had little luck there.
I'm sure there's a way to do it via JS Terminal, unfortunately, I'm not well versed in this to fully understand the commands and file paths I need to input.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Christian

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
1) for add-ons and repos just add our FUSION installer and our ADDON INSTALLER ADDON

2) You use adb pusb

In JS terminal type "adb push this.zip /sdcard/this.zip
As long as "this.zip " is in the phones download folder it will take it from the phone and copy it to the fire.tv 's sdcard.

crzen

Aug 24, 2013
Just a dumb question. It does have android on it right? can you use samba fileshare to transfer directly from your pc? ok make that 2 dumb questions. Just curious.

Last edited:

pizzaman

Jan 13, 2014
It runs android but it's locked down more then other boxes. You can't change the interface or anything like that.

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
It runs android but it's locked down more then other boxes. You can't change the interface or anything like that.
Yes you can. It runs launchers perfectly fine for all your custom UI needs. Also... Root is already achieved so we just waiting for a user friendly tool and guide ;)

pizzaman

Jan 13, 2014
Actually running Xbmc on ouya on the Unit seems to offer the best playback on 1080p files I have used.