[HOW TO] Install XBMC on Amazon Fire TV

dent

Jan 15, 2013
Working awesome. I used the Gotham beta 4 build. only thing I changed was the allow remote to send keyboard press thing.

instructions worked beautifully although It took a second to realize the whole adb thing as I had never used it before. for some reason I was expecting to use some sort of tool or custom command prompt screen instead of just the standard command prompt, and there was no progress indicator on the install just had to wait like 3-4 min and then it came back to say it was complete.

Have used Yify HD addon and Ic*f*lms no problem, 1ch however didn't work, not sure yet why though.

anyway Thanks again for the install guide

winylisa

May 7, 2012
I get up to the install step and I get error more than 1 device and emulator, then it spams error: protocol fault (status read) -waiting for device- over and over

any idea what I did wrong? everything up to that point responds exactly as guide suggests. I can't get anything from xbmc.org as it is down for me but I tried spmc and xbmc for ouya

nevermind, I figured out it was because I had bluestacks running

Last edited:

Swede1

Apr 28, 2014
After having reading most of the posts about the Amazon Fire tv on here I got my unit today at Best Buy and got xbmc Gotham 13.0 rc1 installed and added all my favorite repos and so far it works great! Much faster and much better picture quality than on my Apple tv2! I am very satisfied and things can only get better from here, I would recommend anyone to get this device!

MaxieWagner

Jun 26, 2013
Northern California
There is no doubt that the Fire TV is a LOT "snappier" and the experience less "buggy" than with the Apple TV.

As someone who does quite a few installations weekly on Apple TV's, it is always frustrating and time consuming to add the XBMC org repo., specifically. It takes "forever" to move from add-on to add-on… and moving too quickly results in a system reboot.

Adding this same repo on the Fire TV was MUCH quicker… and there was not one reboot!

So if everything else were equal, my early analysis says the Amazon TV is clearly a superior box to the Apple TV. However, not everything here is equal.

One of the very best features of the Apple TV is its ability to wirelessly stream and mirror from other iOS devices. These are truly fantastic and underrated features that I'm really not anxious to do without.

Losing the ability to download a movie to my Macbook and stream it flawlessly to my Apple TV -- as well as the ability to play ANYTHING from my computer, iPhone or iPAD on my big screen would be major tradeoffs for those like me who have learned to enjoy these special features of the Apple TV.

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
There is no doubt that the Fire TV is a LOT "snappier" and the experience less "buggy" than with the Apple TV.

As someone who does quite a few installations weekly on Apple TV's, it is always frustrating and time consuming to add the XBMC org repo., specifically. It takes "forever" to move from add-on to add-on… and moving too quickly results in a system reboot.

Adding this same repo on the Fire TV was MUCH quicker… and there was not one reboot!

So if everything else were equal, my early analysis says the Amazon TV is clearly a superior box to the Apple TV. However, not everything here is equal.

One of the very best features of the Apple TV is its ability to wirelessly stream and mirror from other iOS devices. These are truly fantastic and underrated features that I'm really not anxious to do without.

Losing the ability to download a movie to my Macbook and stream it flawlessly to my Apple TV -- as well as the ability to play ANYTHING from my computer, iPhone or iPAD on my big screen would be major tradeoffs for those like me who have learned to enjoy these special features of the Apple TV.

Well allow me to bless your life then.... Google the term Allcast in conjunction with fire tv. Also XBMC allows airplay to fire tv.

MaxieWagner

Jun 26, 2013
Northern California
Thanks, showgun. Perhaps my quick read of Allcast missed something?, but it would appear that Allcast needs to be installed on an Android device to work with the Fire TV.

If that is correct, I need to certainly better understand the "XBMC airplay to Fire TV" possibilities.

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
1) you can enable AirPlay within XBMC services menu to use iOS'S infamous AirPlay Feature.

All cast is installed on your android and work like AirPlay for Fire TV.

Yaste remote also has the ability to through content to the Fire TV and other XBMC machines.

There are a lot of alternatives for Android devices.

MaxieWagner

Jun 26, 2013
Northern California
I really appreciate your help, showgun. You and your colleagues truly make this the forum to visit.

It sounds like the Android owner is clearly in luck here. Yaste really sounds great and is very highly rated. However, as someone whose collection only includes this Fire TV, I will need to make due with what's available in the iOS world.

Thanks again.

cLePtO

May 8, 2012
After having reading most of the posts about the Amazon Fire tv on here I got my unit today at Best Buy and got xbmc Gotham 13.0 rc1 installed and added all my favorite repos and so far it works great! Much faster and much better picture quality than on my Apple tv2! I am very satisfied and things can only get better from here, I would recommend anyone to get this device!
Excuse my ignorance but how did you get to add the Repos and Addons? I try to add a repo but with no luck I click on it and it just send me back to the top. Doesn't add anything. Thank you in advance

Starcrane

May 15, 2012
Atv on hdmi 1 and fire tv in hdmi 2

Well allow me to bless your life then.... Google the term Allcast in conjunction with fire tv. Also XBMC allows airplay to fire tv.
The xbmc airplay would be a quicker switch though

cLePtO

May 8, 2012
Try our XBMCHUB ADDON INSTALLER. YOU DONT EVEN worry about repos
Will not allow me to install it I go to click on hub-wizard and it just takes me back to the top and not into the actual folder to install anything

cLePtO

May 8, 2012
Not wizard... Add-on INSTALLER. You have xbmc and fusion installed
Disregard my posts figured out what I was doing wrong. Thank you. I was way to excited that I was hitting enter at the end of me inputting the source creating a space making it impossible for me to install anything

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
One last question Gotham or spmc? Is Spmc compatible with more Addons?
Yes. SPMC is... But I use Gotham. If you install add-ons with either the WIZARD or add-on INSTALLER the addition s will still work. This bypasses the issues with installing via repos.

cLePtO

May 8, 2012
Thank you! Good to know. To install Spmc same step aside from the changing the file name correct?

Swede1

Apr 28, 2014
I just went in to system, file manager,, add source, typed in the adress for what I wanted, for example fusion and ******, then I went to system, add-ons, install from zip file and then just chose what repo to install, does that help? I did have to do what dent mentioned though, go to settings and choose the allow remote to send keyboard press in order to be able to use the keyboard.

Last edited by a moderator:

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
I just went in to system, file manager,, add source, typed in the adress for what I wanted, for example fusion and ******, then I went to system, add-ons, install from zip file and then just chose what repo to install, does that help? I did have to do what dent mentioned though, go to settings and choose the allow remote to send keyboard press in order to be able to use the keyboard.
http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/threads/21784-What-Is-The-*********