[HOW TO] Install XBMC on Amazon Fire TV

prospect500

Oct 17, 2013
You need to enable KEYBOARD INPUT under

System/System/input settings
Ah Okay, that explains it. I did see that notation but was unaware of where to make those changes.

Also, do you know if Gotham solves the wallpaper issue? At the moment, I can not load the downloaded wallpapers. Once you point to the directory that has the downloaded images, nothing appears as if it were never downloaded in the first place.

tuto5150

Dec 27, 2012
my problem is I can not install fusion on Amazon tv fire,I did installed the frodo version of xbmc but when I go to add source to install repositories the remote just won't type at all.what a disgrace !

tuto5150

Dec 27, 2012
anyone had issues installing fusion on fire Tv , my remote don't let me type under the add source box to access the repo list ? any comments ?

DroidFan

Jun 25, 2013
I get up to the install step and I get error more than 1 device and emulator, then it spams error: protocol fault (status read) -waiting for device- over and over

any idea what I did wrong? everything up to that point responds exactly as guide suggests. I can't get anything from xbmc.org as it is down for me but I tried spmc and xbmc for ouya

nevermind, I figured out it was because I had bluestacks running
I was getting the same error but I dont have bluestacks.... I needed to reset my tablet. Apparently killing the terminal app didnt kill the connection.

peji911

Apr 28, 2014
I have Frodo 12.3 installed but am looking into installing Gotham 13.1 ARM...

However, a lot of people talk about the OUYA version. Is Gotham not good on this box?

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
Use the all new add-on installer. no longer install via FUSION. Check my signature for links to the guide and our YouTube channel for video walkthrough.

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
You would have to ready more of my posts to see that I was going to return it ONLY because I had no issues with my OUYA. I purchased it originally for the sole purpose of getting it running smooth so that I could create guides for our community.

When I saw it was ADB only I knew that put a majority of our users in the dark. Because if this I was going to return it as it isn't (user friendly). I then decided to go ahead and do guides for those who could handle it. It was at this point I discovered how awesome it was (for me). XBMC... Android Gaming... Other services (if you pay for Hulu... Netflix... Amazon instant video)

No insult intended here... But it is a poor mans XBOX ONE. Out of frustration with OUYA's failings in every area I decided to go Xbox one (and I love it). Had I had this I can assure you I would have stuck with an android echsystem much longer.
After we have root we can enable installing from other sources (I'll post a guide) and no more adb. :p

A poor man's XBOX one is defenatly NOT an insult, but can it run XBMC? lol.
And yes it's faster than Ouya much much much faster.. It also has a much better feel to it, the Ouya feels sloppy this feels nice and tight. <cough>

This is the first Android device that made me go hey hello wow, every other Android device I tried was not what I thought.. As showgun says it's the overall and extreme snappyness that impresses. It preloads what you are looking at so when you press play it's just instant. The voice search is also extremely fast and accurate. And they are working on getting it active in other apps.

Only one arm processor runs android faster atm and it's the big brother Qualcomm snapdragon 800 with adreno 330 and 4K video output. The FTV has a Snapdragon 600 with adreno 320.

These processors can run Windows 8, They support the DirectX shader model and OGL v3. The S4 ran win7 in 2011.
On 5 January 2011, a version of Microsoft Windows 7 compiled for ARM was shown running on the Snapdragon SoC at the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show.[8]
Let's make a few 3D calculation comparisons.

Snapdragon600 - 12076 in Futuremark.

Nvidia Tegra3 - 3870 in Futuremark that is quite a difference in 3D performance.

For the fun of it let's include the xunesh?te, the supposed to be fastest device and have a lol

Rockchip3188 - 4578 in Futuremark bababababaaaaaaa...

..LOLOLOLOLOL

I done other test so lets at least be hornest on our side - 2 times slower - 2½ times more expensive. No bluetooth, a interface that looks like Android 2.2 froyo that I had on a useless chinese tablet once, and probably a free backdoor to access.
In other words it's a Very Expensive Rockchip Box.

Wan't other tests, just ask. Though I think most are interested in 3D.

Last edited:

VegasATV

Jun 16, 2014
Hey there,

Have tried using the XBMC Hub guide, get all the way to Step 13 and after I enter my IP it says "Windows cannot find 'adb'. make sure you have typed the name correctly, and then try again" I have ADB enabled on the Fire TV per the instructions too....

VegasATV

Jun 16, 2014
You need the adb command on your windows/mac/linux box: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Amazon_Fire_TV#Setup_ADB_on_Your_Host

step 13 what hub guide are you talking about, this threads first post only have 4 or so.

The wiki will also explain how to install XBMC, and pretty much everything else you need to know.
I suggest you follow that instead..
Step 13 of this guide http://www.xbmchub.com/blog/how-to-install-xbmc-to-the-amazon-fire-tv-from-a-windows-computer/

But thanks for the steer on the adb command chap.

happyhourtx

May 22, 2014
hello.
yesterday i got the M8, and 24 hours later still couldnt get XBMC to work on it. so, i went and got the FIRE TV. i can get XBMC loaded, no problem there. when i try to install ADD-ONS, there is the issue. it starts to download and then just either stops or hangs at 98%. i tried the add-on installer, but i just cant seem to get anything to actually load/work.
im hoping someone here might be able to help me. ill try anything to get this working!!
BTW, excellent guides and help ive seen here.

NIPSZX

Jun 18, 2014
Which add-ons are not supported on the FireTV compared to other devices? Do you know of a spreadsheet that shows which device supports which add-ons?

Also can you guide me to a forum (or vid) where there is a X8-h vs FireTV comparison?

What are your strongest PROS that support FireTV over X8-h?

Thank you Sir

*I am sorry if this isn't the perfect forum to ask these questions, if so just reply with delete this post and I will

Last edited:

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
Xbmc is essentially universal. If an add-on works on xbmc it doesn't matter the platform. The only acceptions are add-ons that are made specifically for Desktop clients (torrent and Netflix) where a desktop client browser is needed.