[HOW TO] iNSTALL XBMC ONTO YOUR OUYA

Cablekiller

Sep 18, 2012
Middle of Nowhere
I tried watching the same movie in 720P and 1080P on the Mashup Plugin, 720P was as smooth as silk but 1080P was choppy.
I am just running the standard android build from xbmc.org though not sure if there are any nightlies or such out there.
I am a total Android Newbie so thank you for all the guides BTW.

tennisbgc

Feb 20, 2013
I tried watching the same movie in 720P and 1080P on the Mashup Plugin, 720P was as smooth as silk but 1080P was choppy.
I am just running the standard android build from xbmc.org though not sure if there are any nightlies or such out there.
I am a total Android Newbie so thank you for all the guides BTW.
You should install this version of xbmc for 1080p http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=152005

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Somewhere In This Crazy World
This build broke my ability to do certain addons... like the giddyup network. This left me installing the stable 12.2. That said... It is dropping frames when playing 1080p mp4s. Mkv's seem fine though.

tennisbgc

Feb 20, 2013
This build broke my ability to do certain addons... like the giddyup network. This left me installing the stable 12.2. That said... It is dropping frames when playing 1080p mp4s. Mkv's seem fine though.
thanks for the info, I should be getting mine next week so i'll probably test both builds out. thats strange that mp4 1080p drops frames and mkvs are fine cause they use the same codecs just different containers.

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Very likely just a matter of the android builds maturing, but I understand your frustration.
I just wanted to know if it already worked out of the box.

Excited to see how the future turns out for this device. :)

Last edited:

locoguano

May 20, 2013
thanks for the info, I should be getting mine next week so i'll probably test both builds out. thats strange that mp4 1080p drops frames and mkvs are fine cause they use the same codecs just different containers.
Got mine yesterday and I can confirms this... Used the "libstagefright" build and 1080p plays beautifully.

Yoshi

May 21, 2013
North Pole
this is awesome, might knock apple TV out the park, being able to have emulators on there too? classsy :)

Last edited:

XxAnthxX

Feb 16, 2013
Oh we'll.....back in the box it goes.

It's about as much use as an un jailbroken ATV at the minute.

Hope things improve for it or it's gonna be short lived when people receive them after all the hype.

Android_Adict

Jan 11, 2013

Hope things improve for it or it's gonna be short lived when people receive them after all the hype.
I wouldn't say that.... Every single set top box on the market from M3 and up is capable of playing 1080p mkv files & mpeg 4 files... Just use the factory player for those formats...

1080p doesn't stream well with the best of internet connections anyway because there's too much data being consumed faster than it's received..., I don't see why it's such a big deal to use the factory video player

lartomar2002

Dec 23, 2012
Near Kennedy Space Center
I wouldn't say that.... Every single set top box on the market from M3 and up is capable of playing 1080p mkv files & mpeg 4 files... Just use the factory player for those formats...

1080p doesn't stream well with the best of internet connections anyway because there's too much data being consumed faster than it's received..., I don't see why it's such a big deal to use the factory video player
Still learning XBMC. Which player is the factory player? Sometimes when I long press a file I get a notification box with a list of players. A couple of them I know are on my tablet but the others I know nothing about ie; dvdplayer, mplayer, etc.

tennisbgc

Feb 20, 2013

try libstagefrieght alpha 1. I think its allround the best version at the moment

Android_Adict

Jan 11, 2013
Still learning XBMC. Which player is the factory player? Sometimes when I long press a file I get a notification box with a list of players. A couple of them I know are on my tablet but the others I know nothing about ie; dvdplayer, mplayer, etc.
The factory player is not part of xbmc you should find it in the apps tray of any device, it's called various things depending on the unit. from movie player to video player.

try libstagefrieght alpha 1. I think its allround the best version at the moment
Unfortunately that version has a few issues.. Make sure you reboot your unit after the instal
then run the app... It can run 720p but it still falls short on 1080p according to some ouya owners

tennisbgc

Feb 20, 2013
The factory player is not part of xbmc you should find it in the apps tray of any device, it's called various things depending on the unit. from movie player to video player.

Unfortunately that version has a few issues.. Make sure you reboot your unit after the instal
then run the app... It can run 720p but it still falls short on 1080p according to some ouya owners
I havent encountered any 1080p issues. im using smb. I know frodo 12.2 struggles with 1080p cause theres no hardware acceleration support but this version does a nice job.