[HOW TO] Jailbreak Apple TV 5.3 Untethered & Install XBMC

Surfer

Oct 1, 2013
This guide will show you how to Jailbreak Apple TV firmware 5.3 untethered.

Part 1: Jailbreak Apple TV 5.3 Untethered

Requirements:

1) Download and launch Seas0nPass (Download link above).

2) Plug Apple TV into Computer (Confirm that the light on the Apple TV 2 is blinking if not you will have to plug the power cable into the device before proceeding to the next step).

3) Select Create ISPW

4) Wait while firmware is being restored.

5) Once prompted Hold MENU and PLAY/PAUSE for 10 seconds

6) Once the process has completed select Done

7) Plug Apple TV 2 into your television set, select desired language and enter internet details.

8) When prompted to share information with Apple, choose the “No Thanks” option

9) Congratulations, you have now successfully jailbroken your Apple TV 2 and are running 5.3 untethered!

It is highly recommended to go to Settings -> Audio & Video -> Change Audio Output to 16 bit and set time zone.

Part 2: Install XBMC on your Apple TV 2

1) Install the Nito Installer Application onto your computer (Mac Download or PC Download).

2) Launch the Nito Installer

3) Select your Apple TV from the drop down menu

4) Select the option 'Install XBMC'

5) Wait until you have the green checkmark

6) Enjoy! You will now have XBMC installed on your Apple TV 2

Note: Both the computer and the Apple TV must be connected to the same network when performing this update.

Last edited:

lish05

Jan 10, 2014
Hi there, I have an ATV2 which I jailbroke and enjoyed the benefits of for about a year. Recently I had some issues with XBMC and wasn't able to resolve. The only solution I came up with was to restore the ATV2 and attempt to re jailbreak. In doing so, the unit defaulted to software version 6.0.1. :mad:I saw an article today that announced that any ATV2 can now be jailbroken...yay:D! Unfortunately, when I follow this procedure: , I get stuck between steps 4 and 5. I get error message: "Process failed with reason: filesystem patches failed!!" I'm not super advanced with this stuff. Can anyone help?

Synik

Jan 1, 2013
NYC
Unfortunately, I too was not successful in updating my ATV2 from 4.4 to 5.3. Tried it several times, but always got the Seas0nPass error message about a patching filesystem failure. Very sad. Was nervous I had really screwed things up but when I plugged in the ATV2 it was still at 4.4 (jailbroken) - whew!

gucci

May 13, 2012
Newfoundland,Canada
I just tried to jailbreak my ATV2 with software version 5.3 using this procedure and was not successful.I keep getting the message,Seasonpass was unable to save signatures for this apple tv...What could the problem be?

lonetex

Jan 26, 2014
Germany
Looks like a lot of us are having the same issues. I haven't found any solid help out there. My only success is to find suggestions that are unsuccessful.

After I follow Surfer's directions, I never get past step 4 and receive "Process failed with reason: Filesystem patches failed!!"

1. Other forums have suggested using older versions of SeasonPass - doesn't work, different but similar errors.
2. …suggested reformat in iTunes to 5.3 and re-jailbreak - like I said, I don't get past step 4 and get our favorite message "Process failed…"
3. …suggested to use windows instead of mac. Not an option, I don't have one and won't buy one. Part of the whole thing about jail breaking for free.
4. …suggested use ATVFlash black. Once again, I don't want to pay for it when I have seen too many help videos and forums explaining that non Flash black versions work - for free.
5. …suggested re-tether jailbreak, then repeat. First off, I can't re-tether jailbreak… I get the same errors in step 3, or I get "jailbreak successful"; and when I plug it into the TV… no jailbreak (no fire core icon).

I am completely lost. Judging from the time the other three comments here, we'll see if anyone can provide some solid help besides "keep trying".

But… I guess you get what you pay for right? LOL

gucci

May 13, 2012
Newfoundland,Canada
I wonder has anyone had any success with jailbreaking atv2 with 5.3 software?I am using windows so you can rule that one out as well Lonetex.I am very surprised that no one is getting back to us with some solid help on this problem because this place has been second to none when it comes to helping out with any problems you may be having..Come on Baci,where are you buddy,I could always count on you!!!

Kjxn

May 11, 2012
Hang in there for help guys! With all the other devices out there these days, it takes a little more time for someone to come along that has an atv2 on 5.3 and that has tried it. I have one laying around that I haven't updated yet, so if you don't get a response within the next few days, I'll fire it up and tackle the challenge :)

bromerzz

Nov 9, 2012
Cyprus
I did an ATV2 this week on 6.0.2.
I connected to iTunes and went for an restore.
Then using Seas0npass jailbreak it back to 5.3.
It was not as easy as previous experiences.
I prefer to use a mac an initially the jailbreak said it was successful however the atv2 was still flashing that it was in DFU mode.
Tried Tiny umbrella to kick it out of dfu. That would not work but told me I had saved the shsh blobs.
After repeated attempts to run seasonpass again the same result, on screen jailbreak successful but a device that was in dfu.
Then went to Windows machine and eventually was able to restore again to Apple latest version after having to change hosts file following 3094 error.
Once restored to Apple latest firmware, I was able first time to jb with season pass and then used atvflash, however could as easily used into installer.
So yes it does work but sometimes for whatever reason it can be a pain!!!!!!!

Uael

Dec 6, 2012
Maybe a silly question but is apple still signing 5.3.0 (10B809) AppleTV2,1_5.3_10B809 ???

gucci

May 13, 2012
Newfoundland,Canada
Lonetex,did you try connecting your atv to the tv after you got that error message?I thought that after i got the message,Seasonpass was unable to save signatures for this apple tv,that the jailbreak was not successful and that maybe I had screwed up the device all together.So I thought I would connect it to my tv again just to see if there was anything at all on it and to my surprise the red FC logo was there which meant it was jailbroken after all.I then installed xbmc with Nito Installer and configured it and everything is working great..

dfu

Dec 1, 2012
UK
weird i have 2x 4.4.4 atv2 and both saying device not found. tried 2 dif computers. when i plug in i get blink lights so cable is working ok. Is there an issue with 4.4.4 seas0npass jb's?

nemtulea

May 21, 2012
Earth
Hmm, Not working for me also!

I got to the point where is "extracting software" in seasonpass and got the pop-up "firmware restore failed" !,

Any clue why?

I have updated the itunes,and windows update,restarted pc, and still same problem.

Thanks.

Fkashani

Aug 15, 2013
I am glad you are all talking about writing signatures, I am not even getting to that point. i get Process failed with reason. Filesystem patches failed. The only thing I can do is cancel. I can no longer go back to Tethered 5.2.1 either. So my ATV2 is dead now. I have a thread out there called "ATV2 version 5.2.1 and Tether boot!! and Gotham Update Paranoid!!!" but no response yet. Any help is greatly appreciated. I guess my paranoia was justified. I should have never tried jail breaking to 5.3...darn it.

iMac

Aug 18, 2014
Please share the fix. I have the same problem...running mac 10.6.8. Restored atv2 to 5.3 (on iTunes alt+restore), downloaded and opened seas0npass 0.9.5, getting the same error message "Process failed with reason: Filesystem patches failed!!"

Is there a way without seasonpass on a mac running snow leopard (10.6.8)?

Please Help!