[HOW TO] OUYA - FiRST STEPS & THINGS TO KNOW

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Somewhere In This Crazy World
>STEP 1 - Learn How To Sideload apk files to your Ouya

STEP 2 - Install XBMC on OUYA This is now available within the Discover Store on your OUYA. Simply install and enjoy.

STEP 3 - Add the best XBMC ADDONS via FUSION INSTALLER for OUYA (XBMCHUB WIZARD for OUYA coming soon.) Get movies and tv shows streaming on your OUYA BOX for FREE ;)

STEP 4 - Install Enulators(NES, sNES, etc), and other games, via the DISCOVER PANEL in your OUYA

STEP 5 - Install SHADOWGUN THD!

1) Install an app for controlling XBMC on your phone or tablet. All of these smart remotes offer the ability to access the context menu.

Last edited:

lakerloonie

Jun 15, 2013
Frustrated beyound words at this point. I was able to set up network,enter credit card, and downloading shadowgun game. I don't know how to get to edit address bar to install xbmchub. This happens right after hitting browser.

can anybody share what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks

pfj

Oct 31, 2012
Norn Irn
Hit the Y button or whatever the top button is. This should enable you to type in the browser . Also, i would suggest using a usb keyboard when setting the ouya up. And learn to sideload apps you might need. ES File Explorer, Dropbox etc.

Also, be aware you can use the mouse/touchpad thing on a lot of websites.

Last edited:

lakerloonie

Jun 15, 2013
Thanks.After hitting the browser,it takes me to developer portal. I can now enter into address bar via ouya controller only. i have usb tried wireless mouse keyboard but not being recognized by the system.

Is this correct spot I need to be in? What specific instructions did you use. Any help is appreciated. I'm close to giving up.

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Re: [HOW TO] GET XBMC on OUYA

1) as the title hints at, this thread is for installing XBMC. For the sake of users to come... I would recomend creating a new thread for unique suppotrt ;)

2) I have now found this to be the case at all. Every thing I have plugged into the OUYA has JUST WORKED

3) the center of the controller is a TOUCHPAD. Are you aware if this? You can navigate the browser with this touch pad. Simply tapping in the address bar allows you to type and move. No need for the mouse and keyboard (in my opinion ;))

skwoddy

Apr 7, 2013
Took delivery of my Ouya today with the full intention of it replacing my PI, Not had time to set it up as yet but having browsed the forum before I start I was disappointed to learn that 5.1 isnt supported. Does anyone know if support is in the pipes for anything other than 2.0? (wish I had researched more now).

I will give it a trial (rude not to) though as It wouldnt be so hard to keep both units in my main room (Have an ATV2 in the bedroom).

Dashed my hopes of selling the PI to recoup some of the Ouya cost but we live and learn. I could of course sell the ATV2. choices choices... Here's to hoping the 5.1 issue is addressed.

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
I have never been an audiophile... And as such only recently learned from @tuxen the audio limitations. I have mine plugged into a sounbar and I have never had issue. Bit again; I am sure you have a better audio set up.

skwoddy

Apr 7, 2013
@umOuch Wiki page had me searching other forums and resources, It seems that the issue may be a bad HDMI handshake therefore leaning to an ouya firmware problem which I suspect will be picked up along the way. There seems to be a workaround of starting the stream and either unplugging the hdmi and replugging it or changing the output on the reciever to another source and back again.

WIki source (under known issues) http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=OUYA

Thanks.

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Yep that's the issue it gets quite annoying.. There's a few needed firmware changes besides that IMHO.
Besides that if you have no digital reciever you need the previous store version or a nightly. :)

But lets see Gotham is still quite some time away, and I don't think its fair to choose device from the current state of android builds and possible changes to the firmware to unlock the full video capabilities / fix DTS handshake, and their licensing problems with audio and mpeg2/vc1.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Computers 3
K Fusion Installer 16
S Kodi Support 5