[HOW TO] Root your Amazon Fire TV

feegus

Feb 17, 2014
for the life of me I cannot unroot. I believe something happened during root that has prevented me from ever going back. I have actually delved into the Amazon ecosystem as of late and want the home screen back. My other fire tv has it (unrooted) and I enjoy it more. I have searched and searched and can not find a fix for my problem. I have seen some things but they are not specific enough for me to follow. Anything out there that will get my home screen back and brand new again. When I go under programs and android apps I cannot delete or open anything. HELP PLEASE!
Sorry I know this is old but what the heck? you gave up root for a home screen?

filletboy

Nov 27, 2012
Mass, US
feeg
with adb fire there really is no need to root

you can add (almost) anything ; no need for root (unless you need to play a hard drive)

for instance; by updating fire box, you can now 'Sleep' the box where as had someone blocked updates, this could not be added

ponghclub

Aug 3, 2014
for the life of me I cannot unroot. I believe something happened during root that has prevented me from ever going back. I have actually delved into the Amazon ecosystem as of late and want the home screen back. My other fire tv has it (unrooted) and I enjoy it more. I have searched and searched and can not find a fix for my problem. I have seen some things but they are not specific enough for me to follow. Anything out there that will get my home screen back and brand new again. When I go under programs and android apps I cannot delete or open anything. HELP PLEASE!

i think you have to undo the wifi update block on FireTV.

feegus

Feb 17, 2014
feeg
with adb fire there really is no need to root

you can add (almost) anything ; no need for root (unless you need to play a hard drive)

for instance; by updating fire box, you can now 'Sleep' the box where as had someone blocked updates, this could not be added
The ability to use a hard drive is reason alone. Not much room on these things.

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
The ability to use a hard drive is reason alone. Not much room on these things.
Even if you literally just use it for xbmc/kodi and install nothing else, the free space to start with is scarce. Thumbnails pile up fast. With root you can store all those on the external drive.
To install apks, adbfire is great but to use the advanced features like mounting drives, essentially turning your aftv into a server (and it's actually a pretty fast one), swap data gives you the ability to install unlimited apps and games.
But the reason I bought a second one is because developers are currently trying to get cyanogenmod12 working. I installed it on a kindle fire hd and it turned a device I never use into a very capable android tablet. To do this you need custom recovery and partially unlocked bootloader--easy if you follow aftvnews guides.
I don't think you can beat the price when it comes to hardware but fire os can be a bit irritating. The voice search would be great if it didn't pull up so many paid shows in the search results, in addition to a service you already pay for and the GUI could be simpler, less clicking. Not to mention a lot of people have issues with netflix and prime, needing too many reboots/clear data in amazon video.
But, the way I feel about root is the same way most people feel about cars. You might drive like a grandma, but when buying a car you wouldn't get one that has a top speed of 65 mph. When it comes to danger there, EVERYONE wants the ability to break the law if needed. I don't advocate it, but thats how I feel--if you paid for it you should have as much control over it as possible, and if you wrap it around a tree doing something careless...that's the downside of freedom. But, I still want that control...