How to use browser launcher with Nvidea Shield

eenie

Feb 3, 2018
I use Kodi on an Nvidia Shield for streaming but I cannot get the browser launcher add-on to work. I have Chrome and Opera on the Shield but whichever I try I keep getting a Kodi error that the browser cannot be found. I don't understand the different settings for the add-on. Is there anything I can change to get it to work with any browser? I would also be interested to know why it doesn't work if anyone can explain that to me. It does work fine on a standard Android box, just not on the Shield.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
I can check this out tonight on my Shield.

May I ask the upside to using the browser launcher from within Kodi instead of pressing the home button on your remote and launching the browser manually? Also, not sure about Opera, but Chrome needs to be started from within the app drawer. It is not fully compatible with the Shield. If it were, it would create a shortcut on the main page. This could be the problem.

rikkitic

Oct 13, 2017
I can check this out tonight on my Shield.

May I ask the upside to using the browser launcher from within Kodi instead of pressing the home button on your remote and launching the browser manually? Also, not sure about Opera, but Chrome needs to be started from within the app drawer. It is not fully compatible with the Shield. If it were, it would create a shortcut on the main page. This could be the problem.
Nearly everything I try seems to not be fully compatible with the Shield. It gets a bit frustrating.

For me there are two upsides to using the launcher. First, it is like URL shortcuts on Windows. I have the Chrome launcher working on a cheap Android box and it is perfect. I can set up shortcuts to any part of any site and it just goes there in a single click. This is great for convenience when I have to use a browser.

The second upside is my external DNS server. With DHCP, the server has to be updated every time the IP address changes. With the launcher this can be done with a single click rather than the laborious process of navigating to the server and logging in.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Not sure if this will help, There is a Chrome Launcher on the main Kodi site. It might do what you need. Give it a shot.

Code:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=170965&pid=1481429#pid1481429