How to use lastest librtmp with openELEC

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
I see there's an edit today (11feb) in the installation guide
with an updated openelec method.
I know confusing.........
I suppose it's how you interpret it.
I didnt quote millhouses full post earlier the full post read...

Milhouse' pid='1922941' dateline='1423620703 said:
If anyone is having problems with OpenELEC and librtmp, the library version has changed with OpenELEC 5.0.1. I've updated the installation instructions (revised step #1).

Edit: Nope, forget it. The librtmp library updates discussed in this thread are simply no longer compatible with OpenELEC, now that OpenELEC has switched from libssl to libressl. I documented the problems with libssl back in Aug/Sep of last year, and these problems remain with current librtmp.so builds, at least when using this build and also this build.

librtmp.so.1 needs to be linked against libressl or statically linked with libssl to be usable on OpenELEC.

Edit2: Anyone using my latest OpenELEC Raspberry Pi test build (based on Kodi 15) should disable the library hack as the built-in librtmp includes the very latest KSV patches.
So I'm assuming he wrote part of the post above, then edited the original guide, reliased it didn't work as the newer librtmp needs to be statically linked upon start-up, so he then edited the rest of the post above to say it will no longer work.

The the way I understood it ? But I may be way off the mark :)

If this is the case then hopefully (one day) if i get a bit of spare time I'm hoping to try and use my pi2 to extract and re-squash official builds with the new librtmp added.

Last edited:

jokster

Staff member
Jan 3, 2013
Tír na nÓg
I think that superceleron is going to build for stock openelec.
From the talk and the guide from Milhouse I think we can still update to 5.0.1 and use newer libs.
I think
I hope
Lol

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Hope so I've asked on the thread. Hopefully I'll get a clear answer lol.

******here it is Thanks Millhouse *****
Milhouse' pid='1925023' dateline='1423773748 said:
To be clear: The library update procedure still works perfectly for OpenELEC Helix, it's the librtmp library itself that is no longer compatible (last working librtmp version is from Aug 2014, by RP).

If you are able to "re-compile and insert a new librtmp at root" then you could use that same librtmp with the library hack, no need to modify the OpenELEC squashfs/image.

However, until a compatible librtmp library file becomes available, the test builds are the only option.

Last edited:

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
I been having a little mess around with Raspbian this afternoon, Ive managed to unsquashfs the SYSTEM on Helix 5.0.3 on the Pi.2 and replace the librtmp.so, librtmp.so.0 and librtmp.so.1 in the usr/lib directory with the latest patched librtmp files from Millhouses builds.
It wasn't to bad to do and its fairly quick to mksquashfs on the pi.2

It was for my own personal challenge really but I can upload a diskimg & tar file in the Pi section once I've tested properly.
Will only be for pi 2 and they will always be exactly the same as the official releases apart from this.

Last edited:

Brok3n

Mar 8, 2014
I been having a little mess around with Raspbian this afternoon, Ive managed to unsquashfs the SYSTEM and replace the librtmp.so, librtmp.so.0 and librtmp.so.1 in the usr/lib directory with the latest patched librtmp files from Millhouses builds.
It wasn't to bad to do and its fairly quick to mksquashfs on the pi.2

It was for my own personal challenge really but I can upload a diskimg & tar file in the Pi section once I've tested properly.
Will only be for pi 2 and they will always be exactly the same as the official releases apart from this.
That's sounds awesome, any chance of doing openelec !

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
That's sounds awesome, any chance of doing openelec !
It is for Openelec 5.0.3 on pi 2 :)
I only used Raspbain to unsquash at resquash the SYSTEM file.
I'll upload the images once ive tested a bit probably Saturday night.
#############################
Typical as I wrote this 5.0.4 has been released so I''ll do it again for that release instead. I won't have time to compile it until Saturday night as my kid will be in bed and the wife will be out my pi is setup in lounge so I'll have to seize the opportunity when I can ;)

Last edited:

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Thought I'd better post Superceleron/shani latest librtmp files including pre compiled Android apks
Code:
http://bit.ly/SCLibrtmp

Last edited:

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
I wouldn't be able to do a video, even if I wanted to I'm afraid I just don't get time.
However the instructions on the first post (by Tuxen) are now working again, you can use this to update your librtmp.

It needs to be amended slightly for Kodi but Tuxens instructions are probably a little clearer for people to understand that have never used ssh, so I suggest reading referring to both Tuxens and milhouses. The up to date instructions for versions 5.x.x and upwards can be found here :
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=162307&pid=1481392#pid1481392
Start from where it says Edit 11-Feb-2015

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Has anyone tried out k0di tools from anonymous?
I'm just curious how well it works.

http://addons.tvaddons.co/author/Anonymous/
I've just had a little go at this, the add-on installer was throwing up script errors but I found it on github.
Looked promising but on my pi running openelec 5.0.8 it throws up a message saying "operating system not supported".
Not sure if that means incompatible with the pi or openelec in general.

Looks like useful program for other OS though.

jokster

Staff member
Jan 3, 2013
Tír na nÓg
There is a force openelec option in settings.
I have the lib built into my OE so don't need k0di tools, but I am curious about it.

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Ok, I've got it checked, I've also changed the openelec lib to librtmp.so.1
However still get the same message.
It maybe a pi-2 thing, I'll try it on cuboxi later

jokster

Staff member
Jan 3, 2013
Tír na nÓg
Dude I didn't realise it was yourself,
I was on the phone so names are tiny or off screen lol

There's a YouTube video of this app in action but its in Portuguese - so no good to a one language guy like me :)
Unfotunately i don't have a test box to try it out on.
But on my phone it sees kodi as Gotham for some reason
I've not rooted the phone so the hack lib option is out too

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Yeah unfortunately I've the same issue with my phone.
I reckon the error on my pi might be because I've changed the name of the system from the default name in the "openelec system settings".

Really like the look of this addon though, hopefully i can play about a bit and hopefully test it on the cuboxi, doesn't really matter if it I break it.

thecochise

Oct 23, 2014
Has anyone tried out k0di tools from anonymous?
I'm just curious how well it works.

http://addons.tvaddons.co/author/Anonymous/
This addon hasn't been updated in the last 3 months and needs updating with support for the new library version librtmp.so.1 used by latest Kodi Helix/Isengard builds (anything after OpenELEC 5.0.1).

The addon also overwrites any existing autostart.sh which is pretty stupid - it should add to an existing file, not overwrite it.

https://github.com/i96751414/anonymous-repo/blob/master/plugin.video.xbmctools/resources/lib/lib.py#L187

In its current state I wouldn't recommend using the add-on as you'll end up with a potentially broken OpenELEC system. Instead just follow the latest ssh instructions, or use a Milhouse test build (RPi/RPi2 users).