[how to] volume control for xbmc on ouya

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
After a year of differing attempts to manipulate some sort of volume control for my OUYA, I am pleased to report I have a little trick/mod that will provide you the ability to add true volume control to any remote, or controller, hooked up to your OUYA GAMING CONSOLE (For XBMC ONLY). If you see others posting this info (as I assure you... you will) please make sure they are linking to this post, or atleast our forum.

So, it is actually quite easy. I have tested this in SPMC, as well as stock XBMC, and it works flawlessly.

What I am doing is mapping VOLUME AMPLIFICATION to physical buttons, as this has always worked within XBMC on your OUYA. It may not be the prettiest thing, but with some fine-tuning... it is an AWESOME little MOD.

WHAT I USED:

1) A ROOTED OUYA (1CLICK ROOT IS ON FUSION)
2) A ROOT FILE EXPLORER (SIDELOADED APK)
3) MELE F10 PRO
4) KEYMAP EDITOR FROM XBMC.ORGs REPO

WHAT I DID:

1) Within XBMC launch the KeyMap editor, from the Program Addons.

To get this addon, open PROGRAMS. Select PROGRAM ADDONS. Select GET MORE. SCROLL DOWN TO KEYMAP EDITOR. (special thanks its dev: takoi)

2) Select EDIT

3) Select GLOBAL

4) Select AUDIO

Note: Here you will want to figure out which buttons you will use for volume up amd volume down. This is where I fell into a trap. For some reason the Volume Down button on the Mele F10 Pro WILL NOT WORK. There is some default action happening that renders this MOD pointless. I opted to test with the two bottom, center, buttons on my MELE F10 PRO and everything worked perfectly (by default they are skip forward and skip backward)

5) Select VOLUME UP

6) Press the predetremined button on your remote/controller.

7) Select VOLUME DOWN

8) Press the predetremined button on your remote/controller.

9) Once done, back up until prompted to EDIT, DELETE, or SAVE. CHOOSE SAVE!!!!!!

10) We now want to launch your Root File Explorer and navigate to ANDROID/data/(XBMC FOLDER NAMES DEPEND ON VERSIO INSTALLED EXP: org.xbmc.xbmc, tv.ouya.org, com.semperpax.spmc)/files/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/

11) Open gen.xml in your text editor (process depends on file manager).

It will look something like this:

Code:
volumeup
(there will be more acter this line)

12) find, and change, the text:

"volumeup" to "volampup"
"volumedown" to "volampdown"

13) Save the changes, and exit.

Now you can relaunch your XBMC and enjoy volume control!

If this helps... please let me know and leave some feedback ;)

Last edited:

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
No one? This isn't helping anyone here? I was sure there would be hundreds of excited and appreciative users bumping this thread. Hmmm... perhaps not? :)

K2B

Jan 20, 2014
No one? This isn't helping anyone here? I was sure there would be hundreds of excited and appreciative users bumping this thread. Hmmm... perhaps not? :)
Definitely appreciate your hard work and resourcefulness, even though I don't want volume control on my Ouya. Great solution for those that do, though.

I prefer to control the sound through my A/V receiver, so I'm actually relieved that, unlike my old Xbox, I didn't have to muck about with XML with the Ouya. Used to drive me crazy when the volume on XBMC was active and would turn up and down at the same time as my receiver, thus messing up my sound levels.

Caught

Nov 12, 2013
Belgium
For sure I gone use this how to, it is always a damn when u need 2 RC's, only for the volume.
Thx for the great job.

HenryFord

Jan 6, 2014
I think this is great as well, when I get my mele F10 pro in a few weeks I will definitely put it this into action.

lshizzle

Dec 30, 2013
So this is just for volume amplification right?? Anyway to get it to turn down the xbmc system volume??? So i could have my TV turned up nice and loud and then adjust down the xmbc sound that changes from stream to stream. Kinda like what the volume buttons already do but they dont turn the volume down it just mutes it if you turn it all the way down. This mod will be helpful when i come across those quite streams but im afraid i still need two remotes for when i encounter a loud one or moment in a movie. Plus i still need the ouya control because sometimes the mele isnt the best for exiting apps. Speaking of which is there a couple of buttons on the the mele f10 pro i could change to to act as a single and double click on the ouya button on the ouya controller. to bring up the system menu to exit the app ad go to sleep mode??? I hate that the mele people suck at supporting their product lol

TheLion

Jun 2, 2013
Central Florida USA
I didnt get a mele yet. Its on my list for the near future though. Still using the new black ouya controller and my ps3 controller. I only type once or twice a night so its not that bad to just use the stocker. What did I pay all that money for? LOL Hey, at least you can see in the dark by typing on the screen, BTW does the mele come with any sort of lighted keyboard ? And I DO find it bothersome to have to move two remotes around for the sound, yes. It would be nice to do this mod, I'm just not ready yet. Please keep the thread alive,LOL

Last edited:

bigdogeh

May 6, 2012
would love to be able to control the volume of xbmc with the original ouya console controller... anyone attempt that? maybe use the left or right joysticks?

HenryFord

Jan 6, 2014
I was excited to try this little mod, but now I'm a bit disappointed with results. The volume from min to max doesnt change a whole lot for me, meaning there isnt a huge volume difference. The other big thing is, with the volume all the way to min it doesnt mute, there is always sound. For me, no offence, this mod was a flop, unless I'm missing something.

showgun

Dec 23, 2011
To Your Left
LoL... May be a flop for you but isn't for me. I don't need to mute. I just PAUSE. This mod is to give some sort of volume control where there is none currently offered. Hooked to my Samsung HWF450 SOUNDBAR the volume difference is substantial. I set the primary volume to just under where I want it as a standard... Then I can turn it up and down as things are to soft or to loud.

That said... You can still deem it a flop for YOU. It is a pleasant success for me ;)

HenryFord

Jan 6, 2014
Still a great find, but for me this one is just...meh. Your work and knowledge is always appreciated here showgun.

Ed777

Dec 23, 2013
Thanks for the tip.

This is the only way I've seen to adjust the volume in XBMC on the OUYA with the Mele F10 Pro other than just turning it on and off.

lshizzle

Dec 30, 2013
I have actually come to like this mod much more. I found a nice setting for my sound bar that also works for most streams and then when it needs it the volume amplification works perfectly. Occasionally i come across a loud stream but not to often, so i do still need the remote sometimes but not to much. Thanks Showgun!!

pmcd

Mar 10, 2014
Really neat and very useful. You wouldn't by chance have a similar fix for the FireTV?

Philip

pmcd

Mar 10, 2014
Yes, it worked fine using a Harmony remote and FLIRC. Thank you very much.

Philip