[HOWTO] XBMC Gotham/Helix/Kodi Launcher Mod

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
I have an Asus wireless ac Gigabit router. I get killer speeds with that thing. That might be why it worked for me.
I got the Linksys wrt1900ac--if speed were the issue for me, I'd imagine most people wouldn't be able to use the backup feature. Glad you got it working though. And surprised because I'm not the only one who reported a problem with that.
***Now that I think about it, the last time I tried backup on adbfire was about 5 versions ago. It's very possible it was fixed.

Mastafunk's mod launcher is pretty cool. It just wasn't practical for me because other people in my family like netflix. I created a shortcut in xbmc but found it didn't work well. XBMC ran great and without kfttv launcher the box booted up much quicker.

lenniepaz

Aug 19, 2013
What are you doing for NetFlix now? That's the only thing I still need to get after installing this mod.

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
What are you doing for NetFlix now? That's the only thing I still need to get after installing this mod.
I don't use the mod anymore so I get Netflix through aftv interface. Elmerohueso has a aftv launcher. If you just push it to aftv and install his repo from a zip there is a Netflix shortcut and YouTube plus some other useful stuff.

Just Google elmerohueso repo and you should find a download link.

lenniepaz

Aug 19, 2013
I don't use the mod anymore so I get Netflix through aftv interface. Elmerohueso has a aftv launcher. If you just push it to aftv and install his repo from a zip there is a Netflix shortcut and YouTube plus some other useful stuff.

Just Google elmerohueso repo and you should find a download link.
So I install his launcher? Will it work with this mod?

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
So I install his launcher? Will it work with this mod?
No. Find his repo. Use adbFire to push the zip to wherever you can locate it. Then go to system <add-ons<install from zip. Then you should be able to access all of his stuff (under add-on repositories maybe?)
BUT a lot of people are using his launcher. It looks really cool if you find pics or a video. It's much more labor intensive to setup than this. I think it requires exposed modules. But the repo is easy. Along with the shortcuts there's also alternate keymaps, screensaver and different splash screens. You only need to install what you want

I'll see if I can find the link...

Last edited:

lenniepaz

Aug 19, 2013
No. Find his repo. Use adbFire to push the zip to wherever you can locate it. Then go to system <add-ons<install from zip. Then you should be able to access all of his stuff (under add-on repositories maybe?)
BUT a lot of people are using his launcher. It looks really cool if you find pics or a video. It's much more labor intensive to setup than this. I think it requires xposed modules. But the repo is easy. Along with the shortcuts there's also alternate keymaps, screensaver and different splash screens. You only need to install what you want

I'll see if I can find the link...
Is this the launcher?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2790392

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
That's what I was just about to send. Yes. Just click on "xbmc add-on repo"highlighted in Orange.

I think you follow me but just to be certain, it's not the launcher. This has all the tidbits he packs with the launcher.
If you wanna try his launcher you found the page with the complete guide.

Last edited:

lenniepaz

Aug 19, 2013
That's what I was just about to send. Yes. Just click on "xbmc add-on repo"highlighted in Orange.

I think you follow me but just to be certain, it's not the launcher. This has all the tidbits he packs with the launcher.
If you wanna try his launcher you found the page with the complete guide.
Hmmm, there's no NetFlix in his repo after I installed it . There are only 2 choices in his repo:

Screensaver
Skin

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
Hmmm, there's no NetFlix in his repo after I installed it . There are only 2 choices in his repo:

Screensaver
Skin
There def was along with lots of other stuff...let me try. I'll see if I can find it. Maybe it's changed

lenniepaz

Aug 19, 2013
There def was along with lots of other stuff...let me try. I'll see if I can find it. Maybe it's changed
Think it would be easier to install the Play Store on my FTV, and then install NetFlix from the Play Store? Would that work?

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
Think it would be easier to install the Play Store on my FTV, and then install NetFlix from the Play Store? Would that work?
playstore is great, but the shortcuts are there check my last post.
And no. The playstore Netflix is sd and works I think but made for phones and tablets.
But aside from that having playstore is pretty cool.

lenniepaz

Aug 19, 2013
It's there. Check add-ons/get add-ons/elmerohueso rep/programs
Yeah, I got it now. I installed his repo on my OpenElec HTPC down here in the basement, and I guess it's only meant to be used on the FTV. I installed it on the FTV, and now I see the NetFlix app. After installing NetFlix, when I open it, I get a message saying "App Not Installed.This is only a shortcut.Please install the NetFlix App(com.netflix.mediaclient)and try again" Any idea what that means?

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
Yeah, I got it now. I installed his repo on my OpenElec HTPC down here in the basement, and I guess it's only meant to be used on the FTV. I installed it on the FTV, and now I see the NetFlix app. After installing NetFlix, when I open it, I get a message saying "App Not Installed.This is only a shortcut.Please install the NetFlix App(com.netflix.mediaclient)and try again" Any idea what that means?
Oh you don't have Netflix installed? That changes things BUT it's not critical. In the guide at the start of this thread it says to install any Amazon apps before you install mod launcher.
So you need to install it (yes the repo only has a shortcut that you can put on xbmc homescreen) No big deal. Use whatever app you used to freeze kftv and unfreeze it.) Now kftv is back. Install Netflix and any other Amazon apps you may need then refreeze kftv.
You might just want to check my steps. It's been like 6 months since I did this. In fact, you might want to read the first 2 posts. Mastafunk gives suggestions for useful apps to install before using the mod.

***Also if you missed it...you should have a fallback launcher just in case. I installed hola-never needed to use it but it's an important precaution. Another thing I found I needed was a settings apk. It's good if you don't use auto as your resolution setting. Say you want to move it from 720p tv to 1080p...you won't be able to set it unless you unfreeze kftv.

Last edited:

lenniepaz

Aug 19, 2013
I got it. Thank you SO much for all your help. I had thought I installed Netflix before I did this mod, but I remembered I kept getting an error message when I tried installing Netflix from the AFTV launcher. I did a search, and people said the Netflix with the white background was broke, and you need to find the Netflix with the red background. I found the red one, and it installed fine. I refroze the AFTV launcher, and now when I click on the Netflix app from that repo, Netflix boots right up. Again, thank you for helping me out.

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
I got it. Thank you SO much for all your help. I had thought I installed Netflix before I did this mod, but I remembered I kept getting an error message when I tried installing Netflix from the AFTV launcher. I did a search, and people said the Netflix with the white background was broke, and you need to find the Netflix with the red background. I found the red one, and it installed fine. I refroze the AFTV launcher, and now when I click on the Netflix app from that repo, Netflix boots right up. Again, thank you for helping me out.
Not a problem. Glad you got it all working!

lenniepaz

Aug 19, 2013
Does anyone know how I can access the info of the FTV after this mod? I like to keep my eye on how much storage is being used up, and that info was found on the stock launcher menu.

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
Does anyone know how I can access the info of the FTV after this mod? I like to keep my eye on how much storage is being used up, and that info was found on the stock launcher menu.
You can get info from xbmc press System then go scroll down to system info . On aeon nox system info is right in the submenu

lenniepaz

Aug 19, 2013
Can I get some feedback from anyone who is using Kodi Helix? I'm thinking about upgrading from Gotham, but I'd like to hear if there are any bugs with Helix.

mastafunk

Jun 24, 2014
Sorry for the delay away for the hollidy's.. bump for the helix final build now in first post.

When i get around to it im gonna revise the guide some..
I have found it is easier to freeze/unfreeze from adb.. no app required.. just from and adb shell
"pm enable/disable com.amazon.tv.launcher"

Last edited: