[HOWTO] XBMC Gotham/Helix/Kodi Launcher Mod

lenniepaz

Aug 19, 2013
I upgraded to kodi-14.1a2-launcher-tvaddon-signed, but I'm having all kinds of issues. I'm trying to downgrade to kodi14-launcher-addon-signed. I'm connected with ADB, and I see that uninstall -k keeps your settings. What do I type in after "uninstall -k"? I tried typing this command, but it doesn't work:

adb uninstall -k kodi-14.1a2-launcher-tvaddon-signed.apk

Is that the right command?

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
I upgraded to kodi-14.1a2-launcher-tvaddon-signed, but I'm having all kinds of issues. I'm trying to downgrade to kodi14-launcher-addon-signed. I'm connected with ADB, and I see that uninstall -k keeps your settings. What do I type in after "uninstall -k"? I tried typing this command, but it doesn't work:

adb uninstall -k kodi-14.1a2-launcher-tvaddon-signed.apk

Is that the right command?
From what I remember uninstall -k is correct but it's been awhile. I've been using adbFire because it simplifies and gets things done much quicker.
If you haven't already I'd advise you install it. From there just click the "uninstall button" when you do a box will come up for "k" that you check to keep data.

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
@Mastafunk,
I inadvertently installed your version and have been using it (not as a launcher) for several weeks. Just realized it today. It's been running VERY well. I don't see your advancedsettings in the usual location. I think you told me awhile back they were hidden, but you did post them in this thread initially last summer. I'm wondering if they've changed/been tweaked since then and if the same would apply if I wanted to upgrade to helix?
The other family members have grown to like Prime so I can't use the mod launcher but there are other launchers I might try and still be able to use prime. I guess it's just my first question and your thoughts on how this version of 13.2 would behave with something like nova?

JOHNRAMI

Sep 3, 2013
Florida U.S.A
Got Amazon fire TV last November. Was able to install XBMC. Xbmc work well on this unit. I'm most unhappy with the multiple steps that it takes to launch XBMC. I wish there was an easy way to place a XBMC/KODI icon on the front menu screen.
Any easy suggestions?

lenniepaz

Aug 19, 2013
Got Amazon fire TV last November. Was able to install XBMC. Xbmc work well on this unit. I'm most unhappy with the multiple steps that it takes to launch XBMC. I wish there was an easy way to place a XBMC/KODI icon on the front menu screen.
Any easy suggestions?
PUT KODI on Amazon Fire TV Apps Menu

A Fire TV or Fire TV Stick who wants XBMC on Apps Menu can use this setup, you need Llama launcher, and iKoniTv.

1. Fire TV: Go to Settings>System>Developer Options, turn on both options (ADB debugging and Apps from Unknown).
2. Fire TV: Go to Settings>System>About>Network and get the IP address from the right side.
3. Fire TV: Go to Amazon Store and download "iKonoTv" and install it. This app is just a placeholder app that will be overwritten so XBMC can launch easily
4. Computer: Download adbFire from http://www.jocala.com/adbfire.html
5. Computer: Download ARM version of Android Kodi/XBMC from http://kodi.tv/download/
6. Computer: Open adbFire, type in IP address of Fire TV from step 2, hit connect
7. Computer: In adbFire, click Install APK, then navigate to the file you downloaded (xbmc/kodi) from step 5 and install...wait until it's done.
8. Fire TV: Go to Settings>Applications, "Manage All Installed Applications", scroll to bottom to find XBMC/KODI and launch it. It's installed/working. This is a pain to launch though, so we're going to put the icon on the App screen.
9. Computer: In adbFire tool, click "Llama Options" button, check "Install Llama" and select either boot AFTV to Kodi or Link Kodi to iKonoTv or both. Then check "replace iKonoTv icon with XBMC icon", click Ok.
10. Fire TV: Go to Settings>Applications, "Manage All Installed Applications", scroll to find "Llama" and launch it.
11. Fire TV: While in Llama app, click the "options" button on the Fire TV remote control (looks like 3 horizontal lines) and click "Import/Export Data" and "Import from USB storage" and click "ok" to the prompt about overwriting.
12. Fire TV: Now go to Apps section on the Fire TV and you should see and XBMC/Kodi icon or you might still see the iKonoTV icon...it takes a little bit for the icon to replace. Just launch it and it'll launch XBMC.

Shel

Feb 4, 2013
new to fire tv,,wow its nice and fast...first install was gotham tvmc 13.2 removed it and installed kodi 14.0 apk and Im wondering if there is a 14.1 apk available ?

thanks

s7eele

Sep 29, 2012
US of A (Deep Deep South)
S7eele its in a zip and I don't see the apk in it when I unzip it. How do I install it?
Thanks for your help.
it sounds like your downloading the wrong version (windows?), look for the android robot, directly underneath the picture of the robot are two links, ARM is on the left and x86 is on the right, click on ARM and it should start download of an .apk

jic you still have problems downloading try the link below, your still going to want to figure out the download process from the websit but the link below should work to get v14.1 (Android/ARM), if nothing else you can cut and paste the link into your browser and download that way:

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/android/arm/kodi-14.1-Helix-armeabi-v7a.apk

directly under the ARM and x86 links (which are below android robot) is a link to the android wiki, definitely read through that if you havent already, link below fyc:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Android

IMPORTANT - you almost certainly want the ARM version but to be certain post your hardware and os

Last edited:

lenniepaz

Aug 19, 2013
If I'm using this launcher mod, can I update to 14.1 Helix on my own, or do we have to wait for the OP to make a launcher mod version 14.1?

Shel

Feb 4, 2013
it sounds like your downloading the wrong version (windows?), look for the android robot, directly underneath the picture of the robot are two links, ARM is on the left and x86 is on the right, click on ARM and it should start download of an .apk

jic you still have problems downloading try the link below, your still going to want to figure out the download process from the websit but the link below should work to get v14.1 (Android/ARM), if nothing else you can cut and paste the link into your browser and download that way:

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/android/arm/kodi-14.1-Helix-armeabi-v7a.apk

directly under the ARM and x86 links (which are below android robot) is a link to the android wiki, definitely read through that if you havent already, link below fyc:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Android

IMPORTANT - you almost certainly want the ARM version but to be certain post your hardware and os

when I click on the link http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/and...rmeabi-v7a.apk it still is a zip
and when I follow the amazon fire tv install I get the same zip

feisar

Apr 11, 2013
Arggh, just received my aftv, sideloading apk's all going really well, then when i get to disabling KFTV Launcher in AppFreezer it says I cant do it because my aftv isnt rooted and i need to be a superuser. Goddammit. Will there be an update for the new software being shipped out in the new aftv's. My version is 51.1.4.3_user_514020320.
Great work on this by the way.

KLit75

Jun 10, 2014
Arggh, just received my aftv, sideloading apk's all going really well, then when i get to disabling KFTV Launcher in AppFreezer it says I cant do it because my aftv isnt rooted and i need to be a superuser. Goddammit. Will there be an update for the new software being shipped out in the new aftv's. My version is 51.1.4.3_user_514020320.
Great work on this by the way.
Sorry. Theres rumors of a possible exploit on the horizon, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If no root is a deal breaker you might wanna head to aftvnews, look at the serial numbers then go to staples or bestbuy and see if you have any luck finding one.
If you find a rootable box, read the aftvnews starters guide thoroughly before you even open it. Its a delicate procedure and prep work needs to be done. MANY users didnt excercise caution and went from rootable to unrootable very quick!
On the other hand, rooted aftvs are relatively cheap on ebay compared to what people are shelling out for atv2. Seen them as cheap as $20 over retail. It does suck that just a short time ago you could get a ridiculous deal--rootable aftv for under 60 bucks or 79.99 which i paid in december...

feisar

Apr 11, 2013
Sorry. Theres rumors of a possible exploit on the horizon, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If no root is a deal breaker you might wanna head to aftvnews, look at the serial numbers then go to staples or bestbuy and see if you have any luck finding one.
Thanks for the reply and no its definately not a deal breaker, I just like things to be tidy, just being fussy.

umonkey

Sep 18, 2012
hey mastafunk have you stopped support for you great launcher mod or can you release an update with kodi 14.2 many thanks for your hard work up to now