HTPC Audio question

gwilly7

May 26, 2014
Broncos Country
I have a windows 7 HTPC connected through my Yamaha receiver and it works very well but you have to turn the volume up fairly high on the receiver. I recently was setting up a fire tv for a friend and while I was setting it up (also via hdmi through same receiver) I noticed that I only had to turn turn the volume up on the receiver about half as high as I do on the HTPC to get the same volume. I do have the volume turned all the way up on the HTPC. Is there something I might be missing in my audio setup on the HTPC. I use a harmony remote to control everything and also notice that I have to be very careful when switching from the HTPC over to my directv setup because of the audio difference there as well.

Rockcrusher

Oct 13, 2014
When playing something on your HTPC bring up the menu then go the right to volume and turn up the amplification then be sure to save it at the bottom of the menu.

gwilly7

May 26, 2014
Broncos Country
After going back into my audio settings I noticed that after the upgrade my audio settings were all changed. When setting the audio output device what is the difference between directsound hdmi vs wasapi hdmi. I have searched online but have not found a good answer that I can understand. Any help would be appreciated.