I can't load any other .apks onto my Fire Stick

ngc1967

Feb 13, 2014
I have managed to load up Kodi/Llama/XBMC etc onto my fire stick using adbFire but when I try to load any other apks the adbFire program says' Install Failed'.

So instead I tried following Showgun's tutorial on 'How to load ADB, XBMC and other third party apps'.

I can manage to load up the adb program and connect to my fire stick using the command prompt by navigating to the sdk/platform-tools folder. It says I am connected to the Fire Stick when I enter my IP address but when I try to install the apk (in this case a Channel 4 apk - 15.apk) it says:-

Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_MISSING_SHARED_LIBRARY]

I put the path in where I have stored the actual apk OK (on my desktop)

and I have tried both:-
c:/Users/My PC/Desktop/15.apk
and
c:\Users\My PC\Desktop\15.apk

I am obviously missing some detail but what? Can anyone help me or isn't it possible to install apks to the Fire Stick? - only the Fire TV.

gato volador

Aug 14, 2013
i load a lot of apps from my smartphone..

firefox
file manager
llama
MX player
Dropsync

i suggest the use of smartphone....

mj71

Jan 13, 2013
I have managed to load up Kodi/Llama/XBMC etc onto my fire stick using adbFire but when I try to load any other apks the adbFire program says' Install Failed'.

So instead I tried following Showgun's tutorial on 'How to load ADB, XBMC and other third party apps'.

I can manage to load up the adb program and connect to my fire stick using the command prompt by navigating to the sdk/platform-tools folder. It says I am connected to the Fire Stick when I enter my IP address but when I try to install the apk (in this case a Channel 4 apk - 15.apk) it says:-

Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_MISSING_SHARED_LIBRARY]

I put the path in where I have stored the actual apk OK (on my desktop)

and I have tried both:-
c:/Users/My PC/Desktop/15.apk
and
c:\Users\My PC\Desktop\15.apk

I am obviously missing some detail but what? Can anyone help me or isn't it possible to install apks to the Fire Stick? - only the Fire TV.
You keep posting basically the same question in different places and you have already been given the answer that you can

Your first sentence in this post even tells you your own answer.You have installed kodi,llama,xbmc so yes...you can install apks,you have already done it :)

The error in this case i would imagine is what it says,you are missing a library/file which i would imagine you would need root for if you were to install it manually(which you dont have) to be installed in the correct place on your device.It probably needs access to the system somewhere so you wont be able to install it

Or i could be completely wrong :)

Last edited:

ngc1967

Feb 13, 2014
You keep posting basically the same question in different places and you have already been given the answer that you can

Your first sentence in this post even tells you your own answer.You have installed kodi,llama,xbmc so yes...you can install apks,you have already done it :)

The error in this case i would imagine is what it says,you are missing a library/file which i would imagine you would need root for if you were to install it manually(which you dont have) to be installed in the correct place on your device.It probably needs access to the system somewhere so you wont be able to install it

Or i could be completely wrong :)
Thanks mj71 and yes I am sort of asking similar questions but my other post was about trying the 'adbFire' program which after several tries, I've had no luck at all and so I've basically given up trying with that method. I didn't add 'this question' to the other post as I have been advised in other forums to ask separate questions otherwise the original threads can get digressed.

This post was meant to be asking about Showgun's method of using sdk and adb instead (which I'm not having much luck with either!)
It probably would have made more sense if I hadn't even mentioned the first sentence about trying the adbFire program and instead directed this thread purely to the sdk/adb method using the 'command prompt' to connect and sideload etc.. (I won't go back and edit/delete that part though otherwise these comments won't make sense!)

You may be right about it needing to be rooted and if so, like you said, it won't work :( Shame if I can't - there seem to be these 'little' differences between the Fire TV and the Fire Stick - I'm still impressed with the stick though.

tam23

Sep 24, 2013
Scotland
hi again,like i said before adbfire will install apks,just done it this very minute on the kids fire stick in the sitting room.this is the newest firestick i have.use an older version of adbfire. i just installed the show box apk onto an unrooted fire stick.
hope this helps

mj71

Jan 13, 2013
It looks as though the app you are trying to install needs different permissions/library/file and isnt able to do so without root

Not all aps are the same.The ones you mention and what tam mentioned above load fine without any problem so im guessing this is the issue

If you look over at xda you will see others had similar issues with certain apps and this was the cause

If you want you can pm me a link to the app and i can try it on a fire tv when i get time and see what happens? (unrooted)

Failing that,if its channel4 that you want to watch,have you not tried the tvplayer app from amazon appstore?Its for the fire tv

Also in kodi there is the ftv addon from kinkin

Last edited:

ngc1967

Feb 13, 2014
It looks as though the app you are trying to install needs different permissions/library/file and isnt able to do so without root

Not all aps are the same.The ones you mention and what tam mentioned above load fine without any problem so im guessing this is the issue

If you look over at xda you will see others had similar issues with certain apps and this was the cause

If you want you can pm me a link to the app and i can try it on a fire tv when i get time and see what happens? (unrooted)

Failing that,if its channel4 that you want to watch,have you not tried the tvplayer app from amazon appstore?Its for the fire tv

Also in kodi there is the ftv addon from kinkin
Thanks mj71 - if that is OK with you I will send you the link hopefully sometime over the weekend.

I had already loaded up the TVPlayer app which is a good one but the main reason I want Channel 4 is that my wife likes to watch programmes from the back catalogue on 4oD.

Just had a look at xda-developers and like you said others are having problems with Channel 4 and get the same failure message but some of the replies back are way out of my understanding!

I'm going to try some other apks (not just Channel4 ones) to see which do and which don't.

ngc1967

Feb 13, 2014
Thanks tam23, I've just tried sideloading ******* and that has work fine with both adbFire and adb (via the command prompt) so it must be something to do with the actual channel4 apks. I think I'm going to have to give up trying as well.

Thanks also mj71 - it looks like you are right with the apk needing permissions etc.