I have a question about Android tv box

cooltwou

Dec 25, 2013
What Android tv box do you recommend that is 6.0 and between 50 dollars to 100 dollars

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
So many variables with wireless, what works perfect for one might not work well at all for another... Personally I prefer to hard wire the boxes if at all possible, much less hassle and trouble in the end...

Also it's a Walmart purchase, if you don't like it or the wireless isn't good enough just return it...

BTW the reason I and many others recommend this box is that it has a legit and licensed (meaning fully tested by Google for compatibility) version of Android TV OS, it's not some Chinese bashed together tablet/phone OS tweaked to work on a TV box like 99.9% of the other Android boxes out there... This also allows you to use it in HD for legit streaming services like Netflix, that will be limited to SD with generic Android OS boxes... The only other readily available legit Android TV OS box in the US is the NVIDIA Shield, but that is upwards of $200

The only negatives are that it's not top of the line hardware, but if you are using it for just Kodi it has plenty of ponies to run smooth, just don't expect it to run a 3D shooter game well... Also some complain about the single USB port, for me it's not a big issue, USB hubs are dirt cheap and easy enough to install if you need extra ports...

If you want to go with a more generic 'higher end' Android box, I would suggest the Minix NEO U1 it's now a legacy device being a year old with Android 5.x but it's still rock solid and will server Kodi well for a long time... The Minix NEO U1 is my primary Android box, and beyond it having a older firmware when I purchased it that required me to upgrade to get it running smooth, it's been flawless... But. it's at the $100 mark, and it has a cobbled together version of Android, so the Mi Box has some advantages that way...

Frederick_99

Sep 18, 2012
UK
@Meep

what do you mean by

The Minix NEO U1 has a cobbled together version of Android,

can you please expand on this ?

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
@Meep

what do you mean by

The Minix NEO U1 has a cobbled together version of Android,

can you please expand on this ?
As I stated almost all Android TV top boxes are running modified tablet/phone versions of Android tweaked to work on the Android boxes... They are just generic versions of the Android tablet/phone OS, and most of them have very little or generally no support after the sale for patches or firmware upgrades... The Minix version of Android is IMO a superior build of Android and has better after the sales support, but it's still a tablet/phone OS forced and cobbled together to work on a TV top box...

On the other had a box like the Mi Box or The Shield is running a fully and properly Google licensed version of Android TV OS, it's an official Android OS specifically designed by Google for smart TVs and TV top boxes and with that comes the properly licensing for official HD content like Netflix and Hulu, something the tablet/phone versions of Android of TV top boxes lack...

Frederick_99

Sep 18, 2012
UK
ok thanks, but lets not confuse the Android TV O/S which is based on the android O/S and the android versions that are used on streaming media hubs like the minix.

cobbled together sounds something more like what i do !

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
I'd agree with Meep.
If you want run Android then that box will tick the boxes and is the best value for money !

If your not too worried about Android and just want Kodi you can spend a bit less get the same chipset and run LibreElec with the same results across the board (apart from some unknown Wi-Fi and Bluetooth adapters some of these boxes shop with)

If you don't get a decent box then your probably end up doing what I did .....
I brought a Android box to play with, its a mini m8sii box, it came with a poor version of Android, automatic refresh rate didn't work, so I spent quite a bit of time researching, and hunted through the Freaktab forums and found some custom Roms. My box actually now runs really well and runs a modified version of the Mi box meep recommend above. I also have Netflix 4K (but it's the Play version not the "Android TV" version as it only works by officially endorsed Android TV platforms)

So unless you want to put the work and research in to getting a semi working Android box then grab the Mi box and be done with it.

Check this thread out for more indepth discussion
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=255686

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
ok thanks, but lets not confuse the Android TV O/S which is based on the android O/S and the android versions that are used on streaming media hubs like the minix.

cobbled together sounds something more like what i do !

I'm not confusing anything, the "android versions that are used on streaming media hubs like the minix" are in fact by a vast majority cobbled together versions of a phone/tablet version of Android, most don't even have a GMS certification or licensing as Google ceased GMS licensing of non-Android TV OS boxes in June 2015, meaning that technically the Play Store installed on most of these devices is not even legit... These devises also lack other Google DRM licencing that is mandated for 'legit' HD streaming in most cases... Even if these companies tried to get licensed their chances are slim as Google considers a vast majority of these box companies insignificant low volume manufactures, and won't even work with them.... As it stands many legit streaming sources (and app developers) categorize these Android boxes as 'tablets' because they lack the proper Android TV OS and hardware specifications mandated for an Android TV device... Minix themselves have even explained this lack of proper Google certification and licensing on their devises ad nauseam on their support forums, when people have asked why Netflix and such is not HD... Does it matter, for many things no, but for other things yes...

I love my Minix box, it works quite well for Kodi and many other things and thus I would buy another in a heart beat, but I don't pretend it's something it's not, and an officially licensed Android box it is not...

This article goes into a little more detail, but the blunt reality is that almost all Android Boxes (less a few) are running unofficial, unlicensed cobbled together versions of Android that lack proper certification and licensing that might or might not be an issue now or down the road...

http://androidpcreview.com/netflix-hd-android-tv-box/3784/

If you disagree with the words 'cobbled together' then I guess we will have to beg to differ on that term, but I stand by it as I have seen way too many 'issues' like broken or ill working hardware drivers across the landscape combined with about zero after sales updates or support with the builds of Android on many of these TV top boxes to call them anything beyond cobbled together...

Last edited:

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
Does the Mi box has a mouse button built into the remote
Android TV OS and official Android TV OS apps are designed to work exclusively with a TV remote directional pad not a mouse... The OS is designed this way as the primary primarty target market is smart TVs that don't come with mouses... In fact using a mouse (they are supported if you sync a Bluetooh or plug in a USB one) can actually complicate and hamper navigation on Android TV specific apps as the apps are designed around TV remote navigation...

That said, the best investment I ever made for the 'when needed' times on Android TV top boxes was an air mouse with a full keyboard, I rarely use it with Kodi once the device is setup but it sure makes Kodi setup easier and easier with some other apps...

cooltwou

Dec 25, 2013
Android TV OS and official Android TV OS apps are designed to work exclusively with a TV remote directional pad not a mouse... The OS is designed this way as the primary primarty target market is smart TVs that don't come with mouses... In fact using a mouse (they are supported if you sync a Bluetooh or plug in a USB one) can actually complicate and hamper navigation on Android TV specific apps as the apps are designed around TV remote navigation...

That said, the best investment I ever made for the 'when needed' times on Android TV top boxes was an air mouse with a full keyboard, I rarely use it with Kodi once the device is setup but it sure makes Kodi setup easier and easier with some other apps...
I watched some YouTube videos on reviews on android boxes and they said it was hard to scroll the Google Play Store with the direction pad

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
Did you not read meeps last post ?
Just look at this YouTube video, It will give you an idea on what to expect.
Code:
https://youtu.be/JPjcCZyz45E

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
I watched some YouTube videos on reviews on android boxes and they said it was hard to scroll the Google Play Store with the direction pad
Were those Mi Box videos you watched or just generic videos? The Mi Box uses an "Android TV" version of Google Play unlike other Android boxes that use the tablet/phone version of Google Play... As I said when needed an $8 air mouse is a good investment...

Last edited:

cooltwou

Dec 25, 2013
Did you not read meeps last post ?
Just look at this YouTube video, It will give you an idea on what to expect.
Code:
https://youtu.be/JPjcCZyz45E
I can't get to use this link at all is there a way you can post an actual link I can click on

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Android Boxes 20
T Android Boxes 11
O Android Boxes 0