I have a question about Android tv box

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
Well I could but I'd be breaking the forum rules, so I'm not going to.

You ever heard of copy & paste ?
You don't even need to copy and paste in most modern browsers nowadays, just highlight the link and pull up the context menu right click in windows, or in many Android browsers once highlighted the context menu is automatic and in Android Chrome a bottom popup link appears once you highlight a URL, either way it's not too complicated even if one has to copy and paste...

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
My IPad is not copying the link for some reason
You do realize that in the 8+ hours between your post (even if you can't cut and paste) you could have manually typed out the 28 characters in the URL hundreds of times by now and watched the video dozens of times, right?

Most of the people on this forum are willing to help, but it's a two way road and those helping generally expect those asking for help to at least give it the suggestions an honest effort...

Last edited:

cooltwou

Dec 25, 2013
Well I could but I'd be breaking the forum rules, so I'm not going to.

You ever heard of copy & paste ?
You do realize that in the 8+ hours between your post (even if you can't cut and paste) you could have manually typed out the 28 characters in the URL hundreds of times by now and watched the video dozens of times, right?

Most of the people on this forum are willing to help, but it's a two way road and those helping generally expect those asking for help to at least give it the suggestions and honest effort...
I couldn't do that because I had to work 6 hours and I don't have access to the internet at work

cooltwou

Dec 25, 2013
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gp246M22q5M[/video] this review right says the mi box is very limited to what you can do with it and you can't remove some apps or find the players that work with some apps so I don't think sounds like the right one to get.

So does anybody else have any other suggestions

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gp246M22q5M[/video] this review right says the mi box is very limited to what you can do with it and you can't remove some apps or find the players that work with some apps so I don't think sounds like the right one to get.

So does anybody else have any other suggestions
To start with, this guy is very unprofessional WRT his review. He can't even make a proper YT Video.

He complains about the mouse that doesn't work but this box, like most boxes, is not made to work with a mouse. He simply doesn't know how to use the remote. If he knew how to use the remote, he would never go near a mouse for this. A mouse is made for PC or Mac, not Android.

I thought you were asking about a box to use for Kodi. After all, you are in a forum that deals with Kodi. This guy has not reviewed Kodi at all. Instead he installed a bunch of apps that are not compatible withe the box and then complains that they do not work. He said he "put the apps on a usb stick" to install them. If you are looking at using apps that are not compatible, and this is for any box, I guarantee you a bad experience also. Stick to what is compatible with the box. The apps/players he installed are made for touch screen, Phone or Tablet, not for TV viewing.

If you are wanting a box to play games or to watch all sorts of Android Apps, I doubt you will find any really good box to do that. But if you want a good box for Kodi, you can use this Mi box, a Fire TV or a Shield. But even the Shield, which IMO is the at the top of the heap, based on what he was trying to do would be a BAD box according to him.

You asked for the best box to use with Kodi, you were given a very good YT review but still, you try and debate this. If you already know which box is best, you are welcome to share your insight.

I can search the net about reviews on the Shield and find one that is crappy, bring this on the forum and argue that it is a crappy box. Even when thousands of other reviews show it is an excellent box.

Last edited:

cooltwou

Dec 25, 2013
I am not looking to buy a Shield at all that is too much money.
I am looking for a box that is for Kodi and android apps and maybe games also and one that has a built in mouse button

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
I am looking for a box that is for Kodi and android apps and maybe games also and one that has a built in mouse button
Time to bite the bullet and choose what you really want, as your budget and dreams do not align...

If you want a decent Kodi only box, get the Mi
If you want a decent Kodi box and to play 'Android TV' approved games, get a Shield
If you want a box with a mouse button get some generic Chinese import, it will still play Kodi and games but you might have other issues with it, primarily a lack of after sales support and sometimes quirky hardware and software conflicts...

BTW the 'mouse button' on remotes is IMO a last resort navigation, you are not going to be playing too many games with that faux mouse button, it's far too slow and cumbersome...

Get a touch screen tablet and enjoy your games on that, and use an Android TV box to watch TV...

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
I never suggested you buy a Shield. I simply stated that if I played with a mouse on my Shield it would also be a crappy box. If I jammed it tight with apps that are not compatible, my Shield would also be a crappy box.
However, now you are stating you want to maybe play games on your box, the Mi does that but you will need to get a game pad to have a decent experience.
Instead of a mouse, get a wireless keyboard with a touch pad build in. That's what I use all the time when I don't use my remote (which BTW resemble the one for the Mi). My remote does all I want, no need of a mouse.

Anyway, I'm out of here. This is getting nowhere.....again.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
I believe it's a Walmart exclusive... But, there are scalpers selling them on Ebay for an upcharge if you don't want to get it from Walmart...

cooltwou

Dec 25, 2013
I believe it's a Walmart exclusive... But, there are scalpers selling them on Ebay for an upcharge if you don't want to get it from Walmart...
The reason I ask is I ordered one online last night and then I got an email that said the order was cancelled because they didn't have any

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
The reason I ask is I ordered one online last night and then I got an email that said the order was cancelled because they didn't have any
All the Walmarts around me have 1 or 2 Mi Boxes, on the shelf next to the Roku boxes so even if online is out of stock you can likely get one locally...

Bopper36

Sep 21, 2014
I have 2 Matricom G-Box Q2 and a NVIDIA Shield in my home theater. I got the Matricom boxes on Amazon for $94 and they have always worked great for me.

cooltwou

Dec 25, 2013
All the Walmarts around me have 1 or 2 Mi Boxes, on the shelf next to the Roku boxes so even if online is out of stock you can likely get one locally...
Walmart had 2 the other day and when I went yesterday they had none at all

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
I have 2 Matricom G-Box Q2 and a NVIDIA Shield in my home theater. I got the Matricom boxes on Amazon for $94 and they have always worked great for me.
The Mi Box like the Nvidia have an officially licensed Android TV OS, this is adventitious to some, especially those that use the box for 'legit' content like Netflix and Hulu as it will allow HD playback in their native apps...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Android Boxes 20
T Android Boxes 11
O Android Boxes 0