I would appreciate help getting Kodi on Fire TV box to stream from my network please

Quantum Particle

Oct 17, 2015
Hi
I have set Kodi up from my Main PC to play content from a small server PC that is always on. No problems at all

And when I tried doing the same from the Amazon fire TV i browsed the network and added a couple of folders on this server with no problems either.
But when I next tried to watch a tv show that I had downloaded to this folder Kodi would not connect to the network.
It instantly says "Connection Timed out"

I deleted that connection and tried to re-add it but when I get to browse the network it just gives me a empty page with no entries to browse to!
I tried using SMB and NFS and everything else but nothing worked

I am not sure what to do next.

I would appreciate any advice.

thanks

Mike

radmacks

Jan 31, 2015
Are you running any firewalls or anti virus that may be blocking it? Are both devices on the same subnet in the network similar IP addresses

Quantum Particle

Oct 17, 2015
Yes Avast is running on the server. I'll try to turn it off and see if that helps.
The IP addresses are 192,168.1.101 for the Fire and 192.168.1.105 for the PC so very close

bullsboy

May 28, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
Couple of things from experience:
1. Kodi seems to like IP adresses more than names so if it's browsed to smb://MYCOMPUTER/share it might work better if you edit the source to smb://192.168.1.105/share

2. If the PC is running windows, have you got any accounts and passwords set up?

Quantum Particle

Oct 17, 2015
Couple of things from experience:
1. Kodi seems to like IP adresses more than names so if it's browsed to smb://MYCOMPUTER/share it might work better if you edit the source to smb://192.168.1.105/share

2. If the PC is running windows, have you got any accounts and passwords set up?
1 I did try putting an IP address in but I got the message can't connect to the network
In your example I assume I have to put the folder address rather than "Share" ?

2 Yes It is a windows PC I have got 1 user account "Mike" with no password

The first time I set it up. That worked ok I did put in my user name and it worked ok.
That connection is still in the list but when I try to connect to it it says "connection timed out" instantly so it doesnt seem to even try to connect.

thanks

Mike

Quantum Particle

Oct 17, 2015
If I reset kodi will I lose all my favorites?
It took me a while to set them up don't want to lose them but I'm thinking If I reset all my settings it might work?