If I use Nvidia Shield TV for Kodi, will all the video/audio benefits be lost?

RemixDeluxe

Feb 22, 2017
I read some sources that streaming boxes with true Android TV (as opposed to everything else that is treated as a tablet instead) benefit more with certain streaming applications like Netflix and Hulu offering 4K video and Dolby Surround on select devices with Android TV. If I decide to use my Nvidia Shield TV for only Kodi will it be able to properly get those video/audio benefits as well?

What about Youtube TV?

Maverickz

Dec 20, 2013
I read some sources that streaming boxes with true Android TV (as opposed to everything else that is treated as a tablet instead) benefit more with certain streaming applications like Netflix and Hulu offering 4K video and Dolby Surround on select devices with Android TV. If I decide to use my Nvidia Shield TV for only Kodi will it be able to properly get those video/audio benefits as well?

What about Youtube TV?
Running Netflix or Amazon Prime, etc. on anything other than "approved" devices will get reduced service even if the hardware supports 4k and Dolby 5.1 or even 7.1. So how do devices get "approved"? Why, licensing fees, of course. So it's not so much a benefit as it is extortion.

Kodi does not resort to such practices, they can't. They DO NOT produce or provide any content. So if you have a media source that is 4k with Dolby 5.1 and your hardware supports it (which the Shield does), then Kodi should play it no problem. That does NOT mean all media sources will be 4k. It is up to you to find/provide the 4k media.

On a related note, many people don't realize this but if you watch Netflix on a top of the line Windows PC using a web browser, if you use IE or Edge it will play in 1080p maximum, but if you use ANY OTHER browser (Firefox, Chrome, etc.) then 720p is the maximum it will play. Again Microsoft pays for that ability. Even though the hardware will obviously play it, Netflix reduces service to the browsers that don't pay.

RemixDeluxe

Feb 22, 2017
Running Netflix or Amazon Prime, etc. on anything other than "approved" devices will get reduced service even if the hardware supports 4k and Dolby 5.1 or even 7.1. So how do devices get "approved"? Why, licensing fees, of course. So it's not so much a benefit as it is extortion.

Kodi does not resort to such practices, they can't. They DO NOT produce or provide any content. So if you have a media source that is 4k with Dolby 5.1 and your hardware supports it (which the Shield does), then Kodi should play it no problem. That does NOT mean all media sources will be 4k. It is up to you to find/provide the 4k media.

On a related note, many people don't realize this but if you watch Netflix on a top of the line Windows PC using a web browser, if you use IE or Edge it will play in 1080p maximum, but if you use ANY OTHER browser (Firefox, Chrome, etc.) then 720p is the maximum it will play. Again Microsoft pays for that ability. Even though the hardware will obviously play it, Netflix reduces service to the browsers that don't pay.
I tried to "give thanks" to your post and the other user but I couldn't get that to wotk so I left reputation instead, not even sure if that worked either.

Thank you for explaining all this in finer detail. I never knew about the Netflix thing and watching in specific browsers.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
X VPN Services 7
N Kodi Support 5
N Kodi Support 8