[IMG] Rasp-Elec (8gb)

Pat

Apr 22, 2013
Automatic update of Raspbmc updater ??

Hi,

A little issue. After replacing files it boots....ok.
But when lanching raspbmc for the first time, it try to automatic update if raspy is connected to internet.
There is an error when unpakage kernel update (fatal), then the raspi reboot and Berryboot launch like the first time... asking to format the card in order to reinstall.
??? :confused:

Any advise ?

Thanks

bigorangekitty

Mar 24, 2013
First I want to say thank you for the wonderful work. Directions are very clear, and has been thus far easy to set up, ESP OpenELEC. I have an Raspberry Pi, Model B, 512 RAM, plenty of power, Netgear n150 USB stick, PNY 16gb class 6 SD card. Hardware works fine. However, I am having the same issue as the poster above with Raspbmc. I wanted to give Raspbmc a go, and I boot into it, set up my wifi, and thought I turned off auto-update. I reboot so it recognizes my wifi usb stick, which it does, but it automatically goes into kernel updates and Berryboot launches asking me to configure (like it's the first time). I don't have a keyboard or mouse. I was wondering if there was a way around this, or prevent this, or if there is a newer image I can use, or another alternative I can easily place on the SD card instead of Raspbmc, or if I should just not use Raspbmc?
I appreciate it...thanks :)

Izzie

Mar 28, 2013
Kent, UK
Strange it didn't do it to me the 1st time around but it did when I re-formatted the SD and started with a fresh setup, I tried to run through the setup that it gives you but your right it does format the card again and then you have to reinstall it all as a totally fresh setup but you can't choose Raspbmc from the list or the emulator download.
Metal will probably know what is causing this "he's clever like that" :D

nothere

Banned
Nov 25, 2012
Beery boot uses a modded kernel and not a standard raspberry pi foundation version. Since I uploaded this image berryboot, raspbmc, and openelec have all been updated. They all have their own auto update methods so I'm guessing its that causing the issues, they are all trying to update the kernel. Ill upload an updated version later today including latest openelec and latest raspbmc release versions if people are still interested? Ill also throw in xbian as this distro often gets left out, at least people can try. In terms of updating in future, it needs to be done manually for openelec (but don't upgrade the kernel) raspbmc is a bit trickier as for it to work under berryboot it needs to be converted to squasfs. Openelec is already in squashfs format.

May 6, 2012
England
Great news mate, looking forward to it. Do you have it running on USB, if so what do you need on SD card? I presume its just a case of editing some locations but not had time to fiddle about with it yet.

Izzie

Mar 28, 2013
Kent, UK
I knew you would have the answer lol. As for the updating of Raspbmc could you give us some steps or a link that would allow us to do it for those of us that don't know.

One other thing Metal I know you going to hate this but is there a way that the remote file for Raspbmc can be copied to Openelec so that the crappy remote that I have that you hate can work as it works in Raspbmc ? If it can where would I need to go to get the file that is needed.

And thanks for updating the image Metal very much appreciated :D

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Last edited:

Izzie

Mar 28, 2013
Kent, UK
Updating raspbmc will not be easy if you have to encapsulate it in a squashfs image afterwards and auto updates and switching XBMC builds will not work either because it also updates the system and libs. :/

Regarding the remote have you tried this: http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/raspberry-pi-discussion/7220-enable-lirc-gpio-ir-reciever-use-almost-any-remote.html
Lastest openELEC builds actually starts lirc automatically. (I think) :)
As luck would have it since updating openelec to the latest build it seem's to work fine, well as much as I need it to anyway mainly the volume buttons. I haven't checked to see if the media buttons are linked or not but I can put up with using the little thumb mouse and accessing the context menus is easy once you have the mouse cursor where you need it.

But I will have a look at that link, thanks Tuxen :)

I would love to learn how to compile a build but I can't find a guide that seems to work or it may just be me reading it wrong as I am so new to Linux.

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Yeah I thought I saw a commit to start lirc automatic in latest builds so you don't have to start it yourself like in the link. If some buttons are missing you should be able to snatch the remote.xml from raspbmc.

bigorangekitty

Mar 24, 2013
As luck would have it since updating openelec to the latest build it seem's to work fine, well as much as I need it to anyway mainly the volume buttons. I haven't checked to see if the media buttons are linked or not but I can put up with using the little thumb mouse and accessing the context menus is easy once you have the mouse cursor where you need it.

But I will have a look at that link, thanks Tuxen :)

I would love to learn how to compile a build but I can't find a guide that seems to work or it may just be me reading it wrong as I am so new to Linux.
If you don't mind me asking, how did you update Openelec with the file from this thread that has berryboot? I tried updating it through Openelec auto update, and that didn't work. Then I tried updating through putty and that didn't work. Update files are properly named and in the .update folder. I am probably doing something wrong since I am new to raspberry pi, berryboot, and so forth... thanks guys.

Last edited:

Izzie

Mar 28, 2013
Kent, UK
I didn't update this image and keep the way that Metal had setup the image as when you update it with the auto updater it formats the card if you follow what it is asking you to do after it has downloaded the update.
I was only asking if the remote file from raspbmc could be copied over to openelec as the one from raspbmc made the remote work but when I updated MarkRich's image it started to work and was really just letting Metal know that it was sorted out :D

But now I am off to redo my whole setup and pray that my 16gb SanDisk Ultra card has thrown it's toys out. :mad:

Just hope the damn remote still works after this.

raftersen

Jun 23, 2013
usb install

Ok sp I see this has snes emulator. What about nes?? That would be awesome.
hey guys...

I bought a 8gb panasonic sd card... and the 8gb image does not fit on it.... damn it....

is possible to get around buying another one or 16gb and putting it on a usb ? I have a Trannscend 8gb ubs3.0 ...

but I dont know how to put th image on it and tell my small 2gb sd to boot from the usb....

is it possible? can someone help?

thanks!!

eppppe

Feb 2, 2014
HI!
I have some problems with downloading Rasp_elec.zip image. low speed or abortion constantly. Can U change hosting?

Used it for a half of year, really great work, thank you, but after I tryed to add some drivers for atheros wifi adapter - just black screen(

noel-hsm

Mar 13, 2013
I've used this image for a while and it worked great.

Recently my HD crashed and i had to replace everything and i lost this image in the proces

Is there anyone with a back up? de link doesn't seem to work :(

Plz help!