In the market for another Set Top Box?

jwmghf

Apr 7, 2016
Hey guys:

I've been using kodi for a while now with the tvaddons front and center!!! I am currently running it on my fire tv. I would like to try running it on something different so I don't have all that Amazon crap in my face when I turn it on. There's plenty of other boxes out there to choose from. I think the boxes with 3gbs of RAM win instead of the standard 2gbs. But I'm not sure if thats the main reason to choose such a box? They seem to rave about the Roku Ultimate, but I think this is the place I need to ask about this sort of thing!!! Steer me in the right direction, if you will !!!!!

Thanks

jwmghf

Apr 7, 2016
That's cool. What kind of cool games do you have access to?

Last edited:

cscott1

Jul 7, 2016
They seem to rave about the Roku Ultimate
Stay away from Rokus they do not support Kodi!!! the Nvidia Shield that lgoodnight suggested is top of the line cant go wrong there. If you are looking for the same experience minus the gaming at a third of the price of the shield I would suggest the Xiaomi Mi box I love mine.

fracl

Jan 1, 2015
Stay away from Rokus they do not support Kodi!!! the Nvidia Shield that lgoodnight suggested is top of the line cant go wrong there. If you are looking for the same experience minus the gaming at a third of the price of the shield I would suggest the Xiaomi Mi box I love mine.
I looked into getting one of those the Xiaomi Mi box. but it only has 1 USB port. for me that's a deal breaker. might not be for the OP, but it's something to consider.

lowridin_guy

May 10, 2012
I also love my MiBox. If 1 USB port is a deal breaker, I think you can plug in a USB hub for additional ports.

fracl

Jan 1, 2015
I also love my MiBox. If 1 USB port is a deal breaker, I think you can plug in a USB hub for additional ports.
that's exactly what i want to avoid.. more wires and things laying around. so many other boxes out there with multiple usb ports.

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
that's exactly what i want to avoid.. more wires and things laying around. so many other boxes out there with multiple usb ports.
But, there are very few boxes with official and properly licensed Android TV OS that will allow legit HD streaming on services like Netflix and give you the full benefits of Android TV vs what is almost always a bashed together phone/tablet port of Android on most other boxes... For some this is desired, for others not so, but for me since I pay for a legit Netflix I sure as heck don't want to watch it in SD nowadays...

And if you get one of the small USB self powered extenders with the 3" or so wire whip you can just double stick the extender the to side/top of the box so there is barely any more 'clutter' or wires...

Something like this for example...

http://www.targus.com/us/4port-hub-ach114us

Last edited:

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
Well Koying was the lead Android developer for KODI and now writes SPMC specifically for Android. He uses a Nvidia Shield and that seems to me to be the best recommendation you can get.
No doubt the Nvidia Shield is the 'King of the Hill' but if all you are doing is casually watching TV, the top of the line is not really necessary in this instance... Plus if you have more than one TV multiple Shields add up quite fast and that might very well push it outside the budget of many... That is where the Mi comes into play, you still get a 'name brand' box with a fully licensed version of Android TV, for about 1/3 the price... Yes, the Mi is far inferior hardware specification wise but again if you are just watching TV it has enough hardware to accomplish that task even in 4K... Plus it's sold at Walmart, where you have a very liberal and hassle free return policy if you don't like it...

kdnoel

Sep 4, 2013
North Carolina
I use it for KODI, ESPN, and never for the games.
Perfect candidate for the Mi Box for $70 running Google TV

The Invidia Sheild is hands down the best streamer with a great side dish of gaming.

The Mi Box is the best budget streamer out there right now.

I use SPMC and love having the voice control on my Mi Box.