Incorrect information regarding XBMC Foundation and Kodi rebrand.

kib

Sep 16, 2014
Hi guys,

I've noticed you are getting an important fact wrong about the rebrand of XBMC to Kodi and it is all over this site.

The XBMC Foundation is NOT being rebranded to Kodi Foundation.
The only thing being rebranded is the name of the software.
The end result will be a situation similar to the Mozilla Foundation and Firefox.

The legal agreement we made specifically allowed us to keep the Foundation under the same name it had, as renaming the us official non-profit, tax-exempt Foundation would have been quite complicated.

It would be nice if you would update your copyrights, posts and wherever else you posted "Kodi Foundation" as there is no such thing, and there will not be.

TLDR;
replacing XBMC with KODI == good
replacing XBMC Foundation with Kodi Foundation == not good

For instance your disclaimer should read:
Kodi is a registered trademark of the XBMC Foundation. We are not connected to or in any other way affiliated with Kodi, Team Kodi, or the XBMC Foundation. Furthermore, any software, addons, or products offered by us will receive no support in official Kodi channels, including the Kodi forums and various social networks.

And this post needs to be updated as well: http://www.tvaddons.co/xbmc-kodi-hub/

Last edited:

Eleazar Coding

Retired Moderator
Oct 10, 2013
Jerusalem, Israel
It must have been my error, sorry about that. I read the new trademark page at minimum 20 times to make sure all was good, I don't know how that got overlooked but I'm pretty sure I recall seeing the words "Kodi Foundation" used on their site, either way it's taken care of, please let us know if there's anything else we need to address, respect for the Foundation is a priority to us.

kib

Sep 16, 2014
I noticed the disclaimer has already been changed. Thanks for that.
It would be nice if the blog post could be amended with a clarification on the fact that the Foundation is still called XBMC Foundation.
http://www.tvaddons.co/xbmc-kodi-hub/

We are doing our best to avoid confusion on the name change, that is all.