Indigo Backup/Restore feature addition

nick1945

Apr 13, 2016
All is working great for me but please consider the following enhancements to Backup/Restore:

1) Ability to backup/restore individual xml files (by selection):
advancedsettings.xml
favourites.xml
guisettings.xml
playercorefactory.xml
profiles.xml
RssFeeds.xml
sources.xml

2) Fix the Restore feature so that it restores EVERYTHING that it backs up. For example, right now after a restore I have to reselect the skin, RSS on/off, and weather... their may be other options that are not being restored, I don't know. Please consider restoring everything that was backed up. The Backup feature is working just fine.

Much thanks, and can you reply to this post so that I (and others) know if this will happen.

nick1945

Apr 13, 2016
Not to be a pest but just wondering if any staff member has read my post (above) and if a reply is possible. Much thanks.

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
The skin settings I think are held in guisettings.xml, so if you back this up and restore it your settings should be retained. As for the individual xml files, I don't understand why you wouldn't want to restore them all anyway? Giving this option would probably cause more problems than it would solve.

nick1945

Apr 13, 2016
Hi FXB78, thanks for responding. Yes, the skin settings are in guisettings.xml -- which Indigo backs up as part of its backup procedure and restores as part of its restore procedure. The problem is that after doing the restore it doesn't restore parts of it. So the skin, the RSS and the weather are all omitted and have to manually be reset (try it, it's very obvious). This is not a big deal. It just would be nice if the restore restored everything that got backed up.

Not sure if you are familar with an addon called SD-USB Wizard which does backup/restores. But not nearly as good as Indigo. However it has a really nice feature that allows you to backup/restore individual xml files (the ones I mentioned in my post). So you can restore individual files. Why would anyone want to do that? Here's why:

I use Kodi on both a Windows 7 machine and an Android TV Box. There are certain changes that I prefer for my Favorites and for AdvancedSettings files that are different for my Windows and for my Android. So I do the following:

1) I put the 2 files for the Android in a separate folder on a USB stick.
2) I make my backup using Indigo of my Windows Kodi. and put that on the same USB stick.
3) On the Android box, I delete the Kodi data folder (very easy to do).
4) Now Kodi is factory-fresh. I install the Indigo addon zip file.
5) I make an Indigo restore from the USB stick.
6) Since I also want the 2 files I mentioned (which are in a separate folder on the USB stick), I restore them.

Voila! My Android Kodi is exactly the same as my Windows Kodi. The whole process takes less than 10 minutes. I keep the backup files (about the last 20 or so). That way I can experiment with new addons or whatever and never have to worry about trashing my system.

Anyway, that's a long explanation but it has certainly been freedom for me so I thought I would share. Indigo would be perfect (for me) if it could just restore everything that got backed up and if it could allow me to select the xml files I mentioned. BTW, those xml files are the ones that are located in the USerData folder. So not all xml files, just those.

Hope I answered your question and haven't made all this harder to understand since it's really not :))

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
IMO the feature you ask for would only serve a very, very small user base... Is it too much trouble to ask that small base that want's specific tweaks to backup and restore single files with a file manager?

nick1945

Apr 13, 2016
Oh no, not at all. I just thought I would make a suggestion more than a serious complaint. I used words like "it's working just fine" so I hope I'm not giving the wrong impression. I like Indigo's backup/restore.

I do have to wonder if it really is a "very very small user base". Wouldn't anyone using the backup/restore, for any reason at all, experience the skin, RSS and weather not being restored? Or do you think they just wouldn't really care?

Either way, all I wanted to do was contribute a suggestion to help make the product better. I'm glad the product exists at all and I'm fine with it :)

Frederick_99

Sep 18, 2012
UK
Ref " Hi FXB78, thanks for responding. Yes, the skin settings are in guisettings.xml -- which Indigo backs up as part of its backup procedure and restores as part of its restore procedure. The problem is that after doing the restore it doesn't restore parts of it. So the skin, the RSS and the weather are all omitted and have to manually be reset (try it, it's very obvious). This is not a big deal. It just would be nice if the restore restored everything that got backed up."

It is my understanding that when you restore Kodi or copy your existing Kodi userdata folder or use a restore to another device it will always default the guisettings.xml, always. This is because the guisettings.xml can't be written into the userdata folder when Kodi is running.

To prevent this from happening, you will need to do your restore and then overwrite the guisettings.xml file on your device from your restore whilst Kodi is not running .

Also, if you are running a custom skin you may also also need to backup and restore in a similar way the settings.xml for that skin too.

Last edited:

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
As Frederick says above, if Kodi is in use you will see problems with conflicts where the files are in use. Whilst backup features are a nice idea the old way of closing Kodi & using copy/paste via a File Manager is always the best method & one I always use if I need to backup files for any reason.

nick1945

Apr 13, 2016
Hi FXB78, Frederick... thanks for replying. At the risk of sounding confrontational (which is not my meaning at all) I have been using **** Wizard which also has a backup/restore feature and it will backup everything and restore everything exactly including the guisettings.xml file. To make sure I ran a CRC on the before and after files and they match exactly.

Frankly, I like Indigo more for it's other features. So my comment was only to let the devs know that an improvement COULD be made, not MUST be made. My intention was to contribute a suggestion that MIGHT make the product better. Whether they do it or not is, of course, their decision.

Sorry if I'm ruffling any feathers... not my intention.

Frederick_99

Sep 18, 2012
UK
Hi FXB78, Frederick... thanks for replying. At the risk of sounding confrontational (which is not my meaning at all) I have been using **** Wizard which also has a backup/restore feature and it will backup everything and restore everything exactly including the guisettings.xml file. To make sure I ran a CRC on the before and after files and they match exactly.

Frankly, I like Indigo more for it's other features. So my comment was only to let the devs know that an improvement COULD be made, not MUST be made. My intention was to contribute a suggestion that MIGHT make the product better. Whether they do it or not is, of course, their decision.

Sorry if I'm ruffling any feathers... not my intention.
what backup method you use is your choice .... its a free world.....nothing wrong with **** wizard...i use it myself for some of its other features that aren't present in Indigo
i was simply pointing out how you need to manage guisettings.xml

nick1945

Apr 13, 2016
Thank you Frederick_99... as much as I appreciate your comments I'd like my suggestion to at least be considered by the devs. I think it has merit. I think the guisettings.xml file can be restored since that "other" addon (wizard) is doing it now and I think it would make the product better to know that everything being backed up is, in fact, being restored.

Again, thank you. I get it. I hope my suggestion is at least considered.