Indigo- maintenance tool

MiizAm

Mar 24, 2017
I know the previous maintenence tool is gone now...but is there still a way to enable zero cache? Having serious buffering issues since the switch

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
I know the previous maintenence tool is gone now...but is there still a way to enable zero cache? Having serious buffering issues since the switch
If you had zero cache before you will still have it, all the addon did was write to the advancedsettings.xml. Removing the addon wouldn't reverse the entry in the xml file.

MiizAm

Mar 24, 2017
And that is all complete gibberish...why did they have to mess with it at all? Oh well might be time to look for a different build

FXB78

Aug 18, 2013
And that is all complete gibberish...why did they have to mess with it at all? Oh well might be time to look for a different build
This is a tech forum, not a "Free TV" forum. Kodi is tech software where you're expected to know the basics about how to edit a simple text-file. Despite what you hear on Facebook and youtube, this is not a plug-and-play solution, for that you need a Roku & Netflix. Maybe that would be easier for you.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
Is there still a way to go in a change it if need be?
As you were explained before, you can still do it manually. It is quite simple and FXB78 gave you all the tools and links to easily do it.

You don't have to mess with it. Most users leave it alone and never create an advancedsettings.xml, it is not required to run Kodi. And BTW, running zero cache for an extended period of time is detrimental to your device. You are causing it to die of a premature death. So maybe this was a blessing in desquise.
We do not provide builds here other than FreeTelly and link you to some builds that are supported at Kodi.tv. Other than that we do not even discuss builds. So, if you feel you want a build on your system, you will not get any help from this forum.
I would suggest you learn how to tweak your system yourself instead of having to depend on builds that will bloat your system and cause it to break down prematurely.

achilles_t7

Apr 10, 2017
Can you please help me with ‘zero cache’ because this is driving me crazy.

I used to have ‘zero cache advance’ on KODI 17 for a setup a few weeks ago, tweaked by ECHO wizard. ‘Zero cache advance’ helps because if you have a slow connection, or a slow source, you can pause the video and wait for a few minutes and the stream will load (if you wait enough it will load until the end) and then you can watch it.

Now the ECHO wizard is gone, and I’m trying to create a fresh KODI set up I can’t find any wizard that can do this for KODI 17 anymore. So I try to chance the settings myself. I change the advancedsettings.xml and whatever I do, it does not make ANY difference. Any stream I load it advances the buffer a few seconds ahead, and it stops buffering.

What are the settings for getting the streams to buffer more ahead of time?
In kodi.wiki it says these are the settings for ‘zero cache advance’:
<buffermode>1</buffermode> (I understand 1 means it buffers all files)
<cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize> (I understand 0 means it buffers on disk)
<readbufferfactor>30</readbufferfactor> (large number means it will buffer ahead of time)

I do this, I restart KODI I run a stream, and it makes no difference at all. Can anybody help? How does ECHO wizard do the buffer ahead of time?

I know that this is not good for flash drive, but at least help me understand! Let’s say you want to use more RAM, for some more advance cache. I tried that too it makes no difference whatever settings I change.

RavRob

Staff member
Nov 21, 2012
The Halls of Valhalla
If you are bound and determined to use zero cache after all the warnings, suit your self. Here are some example, just follow the guide and you will have it.
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache#Examples

Don't forget to look at the syntax changes for Krypton. What you have above will not work i Krypton because of that syntax change.

cachemembuffersize changed to memorysize
readbufferfactor changed to readfactor

Change those and you will have a working zero cache. However, I would strongly recommend using example 2 instead using the RAM instead of the hardware for buffering.

JNRW

Oct 13, 2014
I use example 4 from the Kodi Wiki to great effect on earlier cheap Android boxes and now my Windows NUC.

As RavRob says it is essential to change the wording to suit Krypton but the order/sequence of the lines of code or instructions is not essential between <cache> and </cache>.

But what is essential is to copy and paste the advanced settings file to Notepad and not Word, if using Windows.

Have a go - it will work.

Last edited:

achilles_t7

Apr 10, 2017
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

So it was the syntax, damn!

Almost all of the tweak tools (I was trying ‘Easy Advanced Settings’ by KinKin) are still using the old KODI 16 syntax, and that’s why they don’t work! After the tweak failed, I was trying to edit the xml file, but the tweak tool had already changed the syntax and so my number changes didn’t do anything!

Ok, I will not use buffering on disk, at least now I fully understand how it works. It’s good to know what’s happening to your device, I am still learning. I never use builds. This is an example on how a build can cause damage without you knowing..

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Indigo Tool 1
C Indigo Tool 0
J Kodi Support 5