[Information] Raspberry Pi Power Supplies Explanation

Thug

Apr 24, 2013
I'm actually now using my Samsung S3 travel charger to power the RPi and haven't had any further issues.

Dirk

May 7, 2013
I'm using a "Plugable" 7 port usb hub to power the Pi, air mouse dongle, WD hard drive and a USB memory stick - no problems encountered so far.

Kc6nsf

May 30, 2013
Antelope Valley California
What do you guys think about using a powered USB hub? Is it ok to back feed power from the hub to the pi?

I good powered hub can power external devices and the pi however the better quality usb hubs do not back feed the 5 volts!

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
As I've never had an ipad could someone post a link of what the charger looks like? I've found some generic white USB plugs which say they charge the ipad but I've never been convinced they'd be up to the job with the r-pi and finding anything official from Apple will require me to re-mortgage the house!
lol. Beware only the original apple one works..

Kc6nsf

May 30, 2013
Antelope Valley California
I use a generic 2.0 amp power supply on Raspberry, and have a 7 port hub, with 2.5 amp, for keyboard, mouse, and wifi. My hub sends power back to the pi. I am concerned, and don't know if this is acceptable to have the hub sending power to the pi from two sources or not.

Last edited:

trogggy

May 6, 2012
France
It should be fine.
It might well even work without your power supply (ie just the backfeed).
If it starts re-booting itself you have a problem.

stigmata1823

Jun 1, 2013
5V 2A ModMyPi HQ Raspberry Pi USB Power Supply and don't get any lock ups at all. I use them on all my PI's now. on my main PI I have an IR receiver and 4 port hub which in turn has an external drive and a keyboard connector attached.
did you get the micro usb cable from the same place buddy? looking to get heatsinks and new psu for my 3 raspberry pi as they are pretty warm at 160 degrees Fahrenheit when idle?!

stigmata1823

Jun 1, 2013
over-clocked to 950 mate no heat sinks. looking at what heat sinks to get and or fans and any accessories i need i.e usb extensions

Baz1205

Feb 14, 2013
Doncaster, UK
Then to be honest those temps are pretty good. Are you using a USB stick? I was getting SD corruption at 950MHz using a variety of SD cards.

Baz1205

Feb 14, 2013
Doncaster, UK
I'm using these heat sinks. You shouldn't expect miracles but they have taken my RPI temperatures down 2 or 3 degrees. On my RPIs with 8 GB Transend 3.0 USB sticks I'm running at 900MHz with heat sinks and mine are currently showing 63°c (145.4° Fahrenheit). I found 950GHz just a little too unstable for my liking with a couple of SD corruptions at that speed, and too many lockups. At 900MHz they are nice and stable, never crashing.

stigmata1823

Jun 1, 2013
I'm using these heat sinks. You shouldn't expect miracles but they have taken my RPI temperatures down 2 or 3 degrees. On my RPIs with 8 GB Transend 3.0 USB sticks I'm running at 900MHz with heat sinks and mine are currently showing 63°c (145.4° Fahrenheit). I found 950GHz just a little too unstable for my liking with a couple of SD corruptions at that speed, and too many lockups. At 900MHz they are nice and stable, never crashing.
what is your setting for pi bud? overclock speed etc?

bleeding_me

Jan 14, 2014
Hello guys.

I've just stumbled with this topic and I have a question for you, to try and figure why this is happening.

I have a RPI with Openelec 3.2.4 installed, XBMC with Confluence Modified skin.

I have a Western Digital 1TB External HDD connected to RPI USB and a USB WiFi dongle to the other USB.

At first I had my RPI connected to a USB in my TV Set (Samsung SmartTv UE46D8000), this USB is used to connect External HDD's which need Power Supply. For sometime it was working well, but with updates to Openelec, the movies played from the HDD were freezzing. I figured out that the problem with with power. So I changed it to a new one.

Now I have the iPad 2 PSU connected to the RPI. Now the movied don't freeze. The problem I have now is with sound, sometimes I get glitches (very small) in sound when watching movies/tv shows.

I did a test, went back to the supply of the TV, and the sound glitches stopped, but the playing frezze came back :(.

The iPad PSU is connected in a extension like the one in the image (can this be the problem ?)

Anyone has any idea for the reason of the glitches in the sound ?

Thank you for reading,
bleeding_me

invisable

Feb 23, 2013
UK
First thing I would check out is how much you power supply kicks out as the pi will draw just under 1 amp 700ma if not overclocked The usb ports on the pi are rated at approx 200ma (0.2 amps)

Most externel usb harddrives will also draw about 1 amp so really you want to be plugging that in a a powered usb hub, so your tv usb port definitely cant power your pi and hardrive thats why you are getting playback issuses from you Hdd

There is a bug with openelec 3.2.4 and stuttering sound check this thread from the openelec forum's
http://openelec.tv/forum/134-usage/68336-audio-sync-problems-on-raspberry-pi-3-2-4

Last edited: