[INFORMATIVE] YOUR EXPERIENCE no DEBATES

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Somewhere In This Crazy World
Okay, so here is my thought... many of you know that I am loving my OUYA. I also know there are at least two of you that have not enjoyed them at all. In the middle are roughly thousands of users with differing options and experiences.

This thread is not intended as a discussion thread. Please DO NOT:

• psot back and forth
  • ask questions
  • respond to other users experiences

My thought is to keep this %100 informative.

BRAG, VENT, CURSE THE DAY YOU BOUGHT IT... up to you. One post... any thoughts (only if you have one)

Then new-comers can get a broader view.

spaceghost

Aug 20, 2012
Got mines a few days ago and like it. I'm not a gamer or a tech guy.
I just read and like to tinker. Took like 30 minutes from start to finish to
get xbmc up and running. Works fine. Can't say about HD stuff cause internet
speed is crap. Loaded emulator and that worked fine. Only thing getting use to
is the controller. For 99 bucks its pretty good and worth every cent.

oso

Sep 19, 2012
Just to say I am hunting high and low for one of these where I live and will be giving my impartial advice.

Sludge

Jan 8, 2013
This the main disappointment for me http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?1387-DTS-audio-via-XBMC-possible&

I didn't feel like waiting for it to start supporting DTS 5.1 as this should have been a standard feature from the start.

The controller with the touch pad is just bad for xbmc this should have been better suited for xbmc since alot of people buying this device will be using it for that. None of my remotes worked with it, jynxbox fly mouse or my measy keyboard fly mouse.

Another thing that annoyed me is that I had to enter my credit card info just to try it out....that was total BS!

So, add those up and you can see that the ouya was not worth the hassle for me, especially since I already have 2 other brands of android boxes and an atv2...that work much better, Why deal with the ouya with it's funky remote that doesn't work well with xbmc, putting your credit card up in the ouya system and who knows what will go on with that? And no DTS 5.1 surround sound once you do get it up and running? It made no sense for me to keep it with the "hope" that it would get better, (I already have an atv3 with "hope"), it pissed me off so I returned it.

benwaynet

Jul 5, 2013
Bought mine last night, found one at a local bestbuy. I'm a silver rewards member so I get 60 days to return.
I got xbmc install no problem. Haven't tried streaming files locally yet. But I have Na*i-X installed and been streaming most of the morning, other than most of what I've tried so fair being SD. its worked great.

The controller does seem a little cheap but usable.

pfj

Oct 31, 2012
Norn Irn
Just got mine. Been playing with it roughly an hour. Pain in the ass to setup had to register debit card. I don't care much for the interface not very user friendly. Xbmc working great seems quicker than atv2. Have managed to side load a few games via dropbox but installed beta version of TV launcher and doesn't work well. Still early days though but xbmc runs well although haven't watched much for any length of time.

XxAnthxX

Feb 16, 2013
Even without being a backer, you could skip the CC entry screens originally.

My m8 got his used from fleabay before I even received mine from a few months ago and he didn't need to put card details in to register.

To be honest that would have been as far as I got if I needed to enter card details.....

voinage

Banned
May 9, 2012
The card details aside, emulators and android games along with firmware updates regularly....hmmmm

This will be a scorching little device soon enough, they will either get the firmware hacked and the debit details will be bypassed or they will bow to pressure and ask only on purchase...Annoying business model though, details now just in case !!!! NO - I pay when I need something not before.

Imagine going to a top class restaurant and being charged before you have seen the menu, I think not.

Vin the grumbly....

[video]http://www.tubechop.com/watch/1305412[/video]

Last edited:

Jacksuarez7

Aug 17, 2012
Hi,

Still using Alpha 1 but get (reasonably) regular crashes with the following causes:

- Ic*f*lms - in both movie and TV shows search box on text entry after maybe the 1st or second search letter the sound goes and I crash back to main screen
- Ic*f*lms again - left a file to buffer and when I returned I just got a loud audio which stayed all the way to reboot of the ouya (i.e. after crashing out of xbmc

Some other random reboots, PFTV for instance depending on selecting some menu choices (doesn't have to be any text entry)

Nothing that makes it unusable. Also had it running on WIFI close to my router and it was fine, moved rooms and then it struggled so definite WIFI issues (my android tablet running xbmc in the other toom was fine).

Be interested to hear anyone else's issues - haven't looked at a logfile yet but I would be looking into a ditch on that one TBH

umOuch

Feb 29, 2012
Somewhere In This Crazy World
That should go to an OUYA support site... or XBMC.ORG. We are simpky addon support, primarily... followed by user mods. Official issues need to go through official channels. That said... I have had no issues with the newest version.

WhiteHartMart

Feb 26, 2013
At this point (about 3 days into ownership) I'm really impressed.

I've had a selection of XBMC boxes over the years - cheaper Android/Linux boxes, Acer Revos and an Intel NUC.

Running Alpha 6 mainly for streaming Movies and Music from a NAS and would say that the Ouya must be the cheapest way to get XBMC with heavy skins (Aeon Nox for me at the moment) running smoothly. Its a little bit more in cost than the Android box it replaced in my house but the user experience is way better - seems to throw Aeon around nicely without a hint of lag.

Its working perfectly with the iOS XBMC remote and with a Window MCE remote I have also using a USB IR receiver.

Only downsides for me are the DTS 'handshake' issue and also the fan noise - then again once the summer returns to normal here in the UK (30 degrees at the mo which is unusual!) I'm sure this will be less of an issue.

Overall - really pleased!

Last edited:

hooley

Aug 8, 2012
Galway Ireland
I got my ouya during the week. I have it running aeon nox and it's smooth as butter. I had an atv2 which I sold for 200 euro so I bought a pi for the bedroom and the ouya for the main room. I installed alpha 1 first then alpha 6. Very easy to do using umouchs guide. I would highly reccomend it to anyone.

sickboy

Mar 13, 2013
This thing is ridiculous fast compared to my atv2. Might be kicking that to the curb soon.

dkplayaclub

Sep 14, 2012
Rochester, NY
So many people are complaining about the OUYA (not here). It's only because they marketed it as a gaming console with some media capabilities. In truth it is a media console with some gaming capabilities.

thedan

Jan 17, 2013
^ I know, it's mental to think that a JB ATV2 second hand can still fetch about £50 more than a brand new OUYA. What's that all about?

Anyway, my personal opinion so far is that it's a very capable little box. Seems to have done everything so far I wanted it for. As soon as DTS is properly supported with all receivers it will be a real contender.
It's not quite as sweet as my Zotac Zbox unit with SSD for XBMC (openelec) but then for £99 what do you want? Couple more USB sockets and an SD slot? OUYA 2 probably :)
It knocks the MINIX X5 I had right out of the park.

dkplayaclub

Sep 14, 2012
Rochester, NY
For the price, the Ouya is very hard to beat. I have seen a handful of boxes around $100 that are slightly more powerful hardware-wise, or have a few options the Ouya doesn't, but when you figure in the huge Ouya community, especially for XBMC, there is no contest.

I really want a Zbox Nano for my living room, but the one I like is almost $400. For the time being.... pass.

Microwe

Aug 27, 2013
Hey all just got my Ouya today and man it is so responsive! I put xbmc on there and a few plugins and it works like a dream. Only thing I have noticed is my streams off Ic*f*lms seem to be doubled? Like one movie split into to screens with the same image. Almost like you were watching the same movie on 2 tvs but they are on one screen.