Install openELEC on USB/HD in 10mins!

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Ok hopefully this gonna be a breeze for everyone.

1. Download this zip file SYSTEM-3.1.3.zip this is the official openELEC version 3.1.3
2. Find a SDcard card with minimum 512MB make sure you remove all partitions first. Use SD formatter or the restore SDcard funtion in the raspbmc installer (*). Then format it as fat32 and label it SYSTEM
3. Find your USB stick or harddrive of choice and again make sure you remove all partitions as you did with the SDcard (*). Then format it as fat32 and label it STORAGE
4. Unzip the SYSTEM-3.1.3.zip files onto the SDcard.
5. Plug the SDcard and the USB stick or harddrive into the RPi and boot.
6. Go to system in XBMC and choose the sub menu below named openELEC.
7. Now with the cursor on System move to the right hand pane navigate to the bottom and choose: Reset OpenELEC to defaults. When the system asks if you are sure press yes!
8. The system will reboot and format the USB stick as ext4 - this is what we need.
9. SSH to the RPi relabel USB stick/HD back to STORAGE:
Code:
tune2fs -L STORAGE /dev/sda1
ATTENTION: BE SURE YOUR PARTION HAS BEEN RENAMED BEFORE PERFORMING THE NEXT STEP.
LOOK IN XBMC UNDER FILES THERE SHOULD BE 1 NAMED SYSTEM AND 1 NAMED STORAGE.
10. Edit cmdline.txt on the sdcard so it looks like this, remember the disk labels are case sensitive:
Code:
boot=LABEL=SYSTEM disk=LABEL=STORAGE ssh quiet
11. Upgrade to latest version, upgrade instructions can be found below.
12. Enjoy! You now have a totally clean openELEC USB/HD install. No settings are modified.

(*) make sure that you wipe the card and stick completely! Use the function in raspbmc installer or sd formatter. It needs to be completely scratched no partitions at all! So that windows will ask you to format it when you plug it in or click on it to open it.
Remember use ALL UPPERCASE when you label the 2. SDcard (SYSTEM) and 9. USBstick/HD (STORAGE).

-
Manual upgrade instructions can be found here: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Updating_OpenELEC

Official stable and test versions can be found here: http://openelec.tv
Development branch versions can be found here: http://resources.pichimney.com/OpenELEC/dev_builds/
-

Whufclee made an excellent video to accompany this if you have trouble. Thanks Whufclee!
Ps. It is pretty much out of sync with this guide but it should be able to give you some hints.
[video=youtube;kGskJwrSnSQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGskJwrSnSQ[/video]

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Yeah found a nice little hack to use the function differently. I have actually known it for quite some time but postponing it because I thought a lot if I could boil it down even further I wanted to make everything it as easy as possible. Finally I went for this approach. No finding files in .bz2's, editing cmdline txt files, double partitions etc.. I will revise it further if something comes to mind. I would have used a stable if possible but it does not have the new control panel.

Edit: and thanks for trying it so fast looking forward to your result as I'm a bit tired and have headache.

Last edited:

mr black

Dec 31, 2012
hai tuxen by the boot the P is have the messag error is mount flash - mount common Could not mount dev/mmcblk0

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Mr. black: It's because you did not remove the partition table on the sdcard in step 2. You can quick fix it the opening the file cmdline.txt on the sdcard then change boot=/dev/mmcblk0 into boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 instead leave the rest as it is. Now it should boot.

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
I got a message:

error in mount_storage: mount common: could not mount /dev/sda1 21.734420 system halted
It can't see your USB stick format it again in windows (remember fat32), try shift ports. If it still can not see it it its has trouble with the RPi.

Last edited:

Charlie Farley

May 22, 2013
just tried again - reformatting 2 usb sticks to fat32 which have both wored ok on the pi before, 1 is 1gb and the other 4gb, both still give the same errors as above and tried swapping the ports.. any ideas?

mr black

Dec 31, 2012
Hai tuxex I did what you say ti change de cmdline.txt and it goes fine , i am now installig the addons.
to so far great. thanks tuxen fot the great help and simple guide yeah

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
I updated the format part to include a labels I forgot sorry. Again it's cosmetic but its nice to have SYSTEM labeled properly. This can also be done in windows afterwards btw.

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Hai tuxex I did what you say ti change de cmdline.txt and it goes fine , i am now installig the addons.
to so far great. thanks tuxen fot the great help and simple guide yeah
Great mate glad to hear. Yeah simple right (; could you please tell me the size of your sd card and USB stick?

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
just tried again - reformatting 2 usb sticks to fat32 which have both wored ok on the pi before, 1 is 1gb and the other 4gb, both still give the same errors as above and tried swapping the ports.. any ideas?
Use the 4GB one.. But no not really, other than somehow openELEC can not see them at boot. Did you run OE of the cards or just "used them with" OE. And are you sure you format it as fat32 default allocation size? Questions might sound stupid but usually its something right in front of you.

Edit: hmm try open cmdline.txt and then change disk=/dev/sda1 into disk=/dev/sda touch nothing else. I doubt it but maybe it has got something todo with sizes and a windows oddity. I doubt it though.

Other than that you could have a partition 1 on them sure everything is gone? Check in windows disk manager. There should be only 1.

Last edited:
May 6, 2012
England
I've been thinking of what would be the best way to show users to install openelec on USB, I think this could well be as simple as it gets. Yes another video will be out soon!

Canaya

Sep 1, 2012
Nice tutorial tuxen, can't wait to get home and try it. Quick question, why is it with openelec that when you manually upgrade the ssh and samba shares stop working? I know the issue with ssh is in the wiki but losing samba shares is not. It happens every time I upgrade manually whether from openelec or rbej's builds. It stops showing up in finder on my Mac. Even if I go to "connect to server" option it won't connect. Since your the pi wizard on these forums I thought I'd pick your brain