Install openELEC on USB/HD in 10mins!

SenorLoco

Aug 1, 2013
Awesome simple guide!....I was able to get 3.1.3 up and running without any issue, but now I'm trying to upgrade to the latest 3.1.5 by doing a manual upgrade and when openELEC reboots it gets hung at upgrading SYSTEM... for a new minutes and then the screen goes blank (no signal). If I try to reboot the pi it never boots (no signal and red light). Any suggestion or is the update not an option?

Thanks for your help!

Edit: After pulling my hair out for about an hour I figured out the problem. During the initial install (following the video) I had enabled overclocking...once I disabled the overclock the update went through just fine and I was able to re-enable the overclock after the update! Kind of on the same subject...is there a way that I'm missing to be able to edit the config via ssh while the sdcard is still in the pi? I thinking there has to be an easier way for future updates instead of having to power down and pull the sdcard multiple times to change the config. Thanks again for any help!

Last edited:
May 6, 2012
England
I'll add it to my "todo" list for the video guides section (along with a part 2 to this video so it matches tuxens instructions). I tried to do it yesterday but I'm down to one faulty r-pi at the moment so it's proving very tricky. Why is it faulty you ask? I set my parent up on one and they had a problem one day where nothing would work - it was their router. A friend of theirs came over and took a look at the r-pi and said "there's something stuck in it" so with a pair of pliers they pulled out the offending object... it was the USB port! Now they have my one and I'm back to not only a 256mb board but one with only one working USB slot :(

I think I'm going to take the r-pi back from them and stick them back on the good old xbox as the new builds are working so well. They only use it for football and OffisideStreams works perfect on the old girl plus those things are so robust surely even they can't break it. I bet they give it a good go though! The annoying thing is I don't think I'll be seeing them for another month so I really need to try and find a solution for this r-pi problem.

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Awesome simple guide!....I was able to get 3.1.3 up and running without any issue, but now I'm trying to upgrade to the latest 3.1.5 by doing a manual upgrade and when openELEC reboots it gets hung at upgrading SYSTEM... for a new minutes and then the screen goes blank (no signal). If I try to reboot the pi it never boots (no signal and red light). Any suggestion or is the update not an option?

Thanks for your help!

Edit: After pulling my hair out for about an hour I figured out the problem. During the initial install (following the video) I had enabled overclocking...once I disabled the overclock the update went through just fine and I was able to re-enable the overclock after the update! Kind of on the same subject...is there a way that I'm missing to be able to edit the config via ssh while the sdcard is still in the pi? I thinking there has to be an easier way for future updates instead of having to power down and pull the sdcard multiple times to change the config. Thanks again for any help!
Best thing is to keep the RPi running at the speed it also updates at it WILL give you more stability in the end.
A lot of people think they can overclock way higher because they use USB but IMO that's a terrible idea. And I don't know where it came from.
The idea behind running of USB is the read/write times to the databases they increase and I do not lie a 100 fold compared to sdcard. The other idea with clocking up and down will easy lead to some odd errors.

Try to find overclock settings that also run good with your sdcard. Although Chang sdcard can help and you are practically not using the sdcard it is bad practice. I bet you won't see much difference clocking down abit. :)

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
I'll add it to my "todo" list for the video guides section (along with a part 2 to this video so it matches tuxens instructions). I tried to do it yesterday but I'm down to one faulty r-pi at the moment so it's proving very tricky. Why is it faulty you ask? I set my parent up on one and they had a problem one day where nothing would work - it was their router. A friend of theirs came over and took a look at the r-pi and said "there's something stuck in it" so with a pair of pliers they pulled out the offending object... it was the USB port! Now they have my one and I'm back to not only a 256mb board but one with only one working USB slot :(

I think I'm going to take the r-pi back from them and stick them back on the good old xbox as the new builds are working so well. They only use it for football and OffisideStreams works perfect on the old girl plus those things are so robust surely even they can't break it. I bet they give it a good go though! The annoying thing is I don't think I'll be seeing them for another month so I really need to try and find a solution for this r-pi problem.
There's something stuck in your ear... Hmm.. Now where did I put those pliers lol?

Gruler

Jul 10, 2013
Hi Gang

I followed the instructions as per WHUFCLEE's video and TUXEN's post. Downloaded version 3.1.3 and updated. My Pi now says its on version 3.0.6 - have I done something wrong? Did I down grade instead of upgrade?

How simple is it to upgrade to 3.1.5 or should I wait for the stable release?

Thanks

Top Notch work guys !!!

reni

Feb 26, 2013
ran through the new guide as my old setup got messed up .. did all the commands but I used the internal update system option and when I reboot i now get this error
Error in mount storage :mount_common could not mount LABEL=STORAGE
system halted

any ideas ??

Canaya

Sep 1, 2012
If your running openelec off of the USB stick then storage is running from USB. If you use internal update it looks for the storage partition on the sd card by default. That's why you get the error. A few posts before this one is a link on how to update manually. That should work for you

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
ran through the new guide as my old setup got messed up .. did all the commands but I used the internal update system option and when I reboot i now get this error
Error in mount storage :mount_common could not mount LABEL=STORAGE
system halted

any ideas ??
Something happened with step 9.
Change in cmdline.txt this part "disk=LABEL=STORAGE" to this "disk=/dev/sda1"
Do step 9. And make sure your drive it labeled STORAGE in XBMC
Then do step 10 again.

I pointed it out in the guide now.

If it continuously re-label your drive at update,
I've seen one feedback with some a weird USB stick (really odd) leave it at /dev/sda1

Last edited:

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
Just noticed, having only ever watched the video that there are further steps in the guide

9. SSH to the RPi relabel USB stick/HD back to STORAGE:
Code:
tune2fs -L STORAGE /dev/sda1
ATTENTION: BE SURE YOUR PARTION HAS BEEN RENAMED BEFORE PERFORMING THE NEXT STEP.
LOOK IN XBMC UNDER FILES THERE SHOULD BE 1 NAMED SYSTEM AND 1 NAMED STORAGE.
10. Edit cmdline.txt on the sdcard so it looks like this, remember the disk labels are case sensitive:
Code:
boot=LABEL=SYSTEM disk=LABEL=STORAGE ssh quiet
Now I have never done them before and can't work out how to even do the renaming part

Is it required ?

Also once done initially will it stay that way for ever ?
For example updates such as the whufclee football image, would this install and continue to use USB ?

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
It's done because if you might have more than one USB stick/HD's or a hub when using the label instead of device id, openELEC will always find the correct USB stick ie the one with the STORAGE label if you swap them around or whatever.

It is recommended from the openELEC guys to do it this way because it makes it fail safe, but if you only have one usbstick/HD and don't swap ports, it's ok to leave it out as long as you know what it does.

You can with no problem apply those 2 steps after installation. The renaming part is easy; as said ssh to the RPi and type: "tune2fs -L STORAGE /dev/sda1" without brackets and press return.

Then as said before you do step 10. Check if the label has changed on the disk from none (the size) to STORAGE under videos or the filemanager.

Last edited:
May 6, 2012
England
I'll be updating the video to include these steps in the near future but I'm waiting on a video capture card to arrive before doing any more vids like this. Also, I currently have some serious computer issues to deal with :( My whole system is f****d, tomorrow I shall mostly be shouting and swearing at a virus ridden system and almost 6tb of data corruption. No idea how this could have possibly happened but somehow it would appear a virus has gotten past my firewall and AV protection. Booooo

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Thanks tuxen
Ill leave it based on what works works
Yeah that's fine as said as long as you know what it does so if you run into swapped ports and a mount errors a bell rings lol.

Check here for a user that had the problem until he changed to label and used that to boot it, only back then I suggested him to use mini partition tool to change label, so from now I just included the command line instead as I thought it might be easier than to explain a new tool in the first post:
http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/raspberry-pi-discussion/8657-install-openelec-usb-hd-10mins-13.html#post89945

Last edited:

jas0npc

Banned
May 5, 2012
UK
I'll be updating the video to include these steps in the near future but I'm waiting on a video capture card to arrive before doing any more vids like this. Also, I currently have some serious computer issues to deal with :( My whole system is f****d, tomorrow I shall mostly be shouting and swearing at a virus ridden system and almost 6tb of data corruption. No idea how this could have possibly happened but somehow it would appear a virus has gotten past my firewall and AV protection. Booooo
Oh crap Lee, totally feel for you

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Arg no good.. I feel for you. 6TB data corruption, sure it was a virus? :/
Anyway no hurry get up and running first, your videos are an excellent contribution to the guides I really think they help people.

fLin7

Aug 18, 2013
Hey guys, im a total newcomer to pi and linux stuff. I want to install xbmc on my pi using this guide and an 4GB USB-Stick. Later i want to attach an external 2.5 320GB HDD containing my movies and music.
I was wondering if I can use the HDD to boot XBMC instead of the Flash stick. The HDD is already formatted in FAT32 but contains lots of data, what additional settings do i need to do, do i need format the HDD? Or should i still use the USB stick?
Thank you

trogggy

May 6, 2012
France
You could do that - you'd have to stick a smallish ext4 partition somewhere on the hard drive and then point the pi to that.
The disadvantage is that you have to have that drive plugged in for the pi to run - which is why I haven't done it - I can unplug my hard drives without disturbing the pi. You'll almost certainly need power to the drive by the way.

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
I recommend to do like troggy and I.
Resizing a partition is not fun and dangerous to your data. And the advantages as troggy points out are good (same as why I don't) because although its a 2.5 drive the RPi won't be able to power it alone there will be a lot of tethering. :/

On the other approach you will have much more freedom you can even share the drive to other devices automatically.

You can convert the drive to NTFS so you can store bigger files on it though. It's only 4GB max on fat32.

Last edited: