Install openELEC on USB/HD in 10mins!

fLin7

Aug 18, 2013
Thank you for your information, troggy and tuxen. The flexibility the flash drive provides is an important point. As for the power supply I just ordered a powered 2.0A RPi listed USB hub. I will follow the guide and see how it goes ;D

xmen

Apr 2, 2013
HI.

Mange tak Tuxen.

My Rpi is starting very fast now,and, the CPU use is going down with 50% and the temperature is going Down with 7 degrees.

Every thing working perfect.

Thanks.:eek:

MarkRich

Banned
May 13, 2012
finally getting around to doing this.. However, this is what I get after resetting OpenELEC to default.

OpenELEC (official) Version: 3.1.7
OpenELEC:~ # tune2fs -L STORAGE /dev/sda1
tune2fs 1.42.8 (20-Jun-2013)
tune2fs: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda1
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.
OpenELEC:~ # tune2fs: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/
sda1
-sh: tune2fs:: not found

MarkRich

Banned
May 13, 2012
Welcome back Mark hope al is good
thank you - yes working on getting more involved again, going to give the USB storage route a chance, waiting for my powered USB hub to come in though, noticing the Pi keeps unmounting it then remounting.

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
finally getting around to doing this.. However, this is what I get after resetting OpenELEC to default.

OpenELEC (official) Version: 3.1.7
OpenELEC:~ # tune2fs -L STORAGE /dev/sda1
tune2fs 1.42.8 (20-Jun-2013)
tune2fs: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda1
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.
OpenELEC:~ # tune2fs: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/
sda1
-sh: tune2fs:: not found
Try tune2fs -L STORAGE /dev/sda ? :)
If that fails skip 9. and 10. and it should still work.

Last edited:

DannyBiker

Sep 13, 2013
Followed the tutorial to the letter but all I get is missing librairies error line then a black screen.
No OC, using a 3.0 usb stick and 2GB sdcard.

Any idea ?

splatee

Aug 28, 2013
Hello,

I am thinking about using a USB flash drive. First off i am new to the Pi scene so i am still a newbie :)

I am currently running a class 10 16gb with 8GB OpenELEC 3.2 image from the "my 8gb image" thread. I currently do not have the usb flash drive. Would i need a 16gb version? From what i have been reading the USB flash holds the XBMC image and the SDHC card is just the boot drive? Also i am running one of the overclocked images, when i do the transfer does the image reset? Sorry if these have been answered already, i have been reading through a lot of threads and i may have missed it.

Thank you

trogggy

May 6, 2012
France
8GB is plenty unless you want to download loads of video, or stick music on it or similar. If you're streaming - whether from net or your LAN - you won't touch the sides on a 4GB stick tbh.. Get the stick (usb3, and have a look around for recommendations) and someone will either point you at an easy method or walk you through it.

splatee

Aug 28, 2013
Ok so I think I am going to give this a try. Currently I am using the 3.1.7 MarkRich image updated to 3.2. So after further reading I install just a fresh copy of Openelec and not an image? Also do the overclock settings have done manualy by using putty? I never set up openelec from scratch I have just used an image.

Thank you

May 6, 2012
England
Just follow the 5 minute guide and not this outdated one, the download files you need are in the OP and are only about 100mb.

The overclocking can be done by opening the config.txt file that's on the SD Card and just removing the relevant # symbols, then set your OC settings to whatever you want to try out. If you find it's freezing on you or some other weird random bug then you've probably set them too high for your power supply. If you want to do it via the network then yes you should be able to use putty but I find it easier to just sling the SD card in the PC.

lowridin_guy

May 10, 2012
Hi Whuflee - can you please check out my post in your thread about this? I'm having issues getting it going. Not sure what I'm missing.

punjabputer

Sep 1, 2013
Updating from 3.1.3

Hi Everyone

Can I use the openelec built in updater
I did try it once but after it rebooted no XBMC

Can I use this method to install a later version of openelec or does this only work for 3.1.3

Thanjs

punjabputer

Rodrigo

Developer
Sep 24, 2013
39.108889,-76.771389
Hi Everyone

Can I use the openelec built in updater
I did try it once but after it rebooted no XBMC

Can I use this method to install a later version of openelec or does this only work for 3.1.3

Thanjs

punjabputer
This should work...
maybe try to reboot your openelec again or use Ctrl+Alt+Del

If you still have problems, I would suggest asking your question in this forum:
http://openelec.tv/forum/index
They will be able to help you a lot faster and better than we will...