Install openELEC on USB/HD in 10mins!

johnny

Sep 15, 2012
My old sd/usb build bit the dust, so I tried this one out. If you have a large SD card and make the full space available, this doesn't seem to work. However, if you sneakily use the RASBMC installer (as mentioned earlier) to format the card, everything works perfectly. I can even run the 'super' overclock setting without any problems, now. Thanks for this guide!

edit: so for those having issues where you can't overclock without restarts, format the sd card using raspbmc installer (sd formatter didn't work for me) and then try a higher OC setting.

Last edited:

documentmqster

Feb 18, 2013
I tried this method and eventually got it to work great running off a USB 3.0 stick. However, now I notice that I am unable to download and install any add-ons?? Is anyone else having this issue? Seems like the download progress bar appears for a split second and doesnt do anything, then it goes away and the add-ons are not installed.

documentmqster

Feb 18, 2013
Yes...one appears to be the SD card and the filesystem label is mmcblk0p1, and the other is the USB stick with the filesystem sda1. I followed Whufclee video exactly including using the sd formatter and the raspmc installer to format.

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
That's odd.. Is the RSS stream running on button of the screen (indicating connection to Internet) or what does systeminfo say about network? What does the config tool say about network? (the openELEC submenu under system)

documentmqster

Feb 18, 2013
The RSS feed was running and all of the network settings were accurately showing that it was connected to my network, first via ethernet and then via my wifi. I will check the config tool shortly.

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
That's even more odd if you browse the USB stick in the file manager there is a bunch of folders on it right? No odd messages at boot. Sorry might sound stupid but sometimes you have to ask.

If so try again with for example the Ic*f*lms repository and install the Ic*f*lms addon from there?
It sounds like a network issue, anyway you can try and connect if via cable directly to the router?

Last edited:

documentmqster

Feb 18, 2013
So i tried again just to install an add-on and suddenly several items popped up saying they were updating or enabled, and now everything seems to be working.
Thanks guys.

gotsklz

Sep 23, 2012
xbmc faves not working

tried this method and added stuff to xbmc favorites but everytime i play it it doesnt work. anything i'm missing?

faint

Jun 23, 2013
Just followed this guide and have it working great, but with overclocking have people added heat seeks to their raspberrys? and what kinda of temperature on the CPU is acceptable running at these speeds?

polayer1

Jun 23, 2013
Thanks for this great method. I have just begun to get my feet wet with openelec and the raspberry pi. I would like to boot from sdcard and have a 2TB powered HD take over the loading of the system. I also want to use the rest of the HD to store media locally for access through XBMC. Can someone help me with the necessary steps to set this up. Thanks in advance.

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Just followed this guide and have it working great, but with overclocking have people added heat seeks to their raspberrys? and what kinda of temperature on the CPU is acceptable running at these speeds?
Quote from Dom (popcornmix) from the RPi foundation:
"So far no one has demonstrated an improvement from fitting heatsinks (and we wouldn't predict one).
So, by all means fit one, but this will be for your benefit rather than the Pi's."

Knowing my electronics I can confirm this is 100% true. :)

Kc6nsf

May 30, 2013
Antelope Valley California
Quote from Dom (popcornmix) from the RPi foundation:
"So far no one has demonstrated an improvement from fitting heatsinks (and we wouldn't predict one).
So, by all means fit one, but this will be for your benefit rather than the Pi's."

Knowing my electronics I can confirm this is 100% true. :)
I installed three heatsinks and a small 5VDC fan. It ran cool as could be. I got tired of listening to fan, so I disconnected it. No difference in performance. The case on the pi barely gets warm. A fan is overkill, but I do like the heatsinks, they do draw heat away from the chips however, the heat sinks may not be necessary either. Most people are not using heat sinks and they have no problems.

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Exactly kinda the same as Dom writes.
They may look cool and give you peace of mind but as to the pi and overclock wise they won't matter anything.

Also a fan should never be connected directly to the GPIO pins. As such devices emit a lot of electrical noise right back into the RPi.

Last edited:

MarkESmith

Jul 4, 2013
This was a great guide tuxen, thanks. My last openelec installation died on me so seeing as I have had to go through the process of getting everything set-up again I thought I'd try a USB installation this time - and all seems to have gone through fine!

However, I have a problem and some searching hasn't really provided me any answers so I thought I'd post up and any help would be very much appreciated. I have the cmdline.txt file as in the default zip file:

boot=/dev/mmcblk0 disk=/dev/sda1 ssh quiet

With a USB stick plugged into a powered USB hub. My problem is I also have a USB drive that I plug into the hub as well with loads of media on. If I have it plugged in at boot time the Pi won't boot as it seems to default to looking on the USB drive rather than the stick for the openelec boot stuff (without the hard drive plugged in it boots fine) - so it assumes the hard drive is /dev/sda1 rather than the stick. If I start the Pi booting without the drive and then plug the drive in it after openelec has loaded it either refuses to recognise the drive at all or it tries to mount it - seemingly on /dev/sda1 - and gets in a mess with unmounting storage (the usb stick) or the Pi just freezes.

I'd like to be able to use the hard drive as I watch a lot of stuff from it - so any help would be very much appreciated, but no worries obviously as I know you do it all for free and are busy (I won't post back complaining that no-one has helped or anything ;) )

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
This was a great guide tuxen, thanks. My last openelec installation died on me so seeing as I have had to go through the process of getting everything set-up again I thought I'd try a USB installation this time - and all seems to have gone through fine!

However, I have a problem and some searching hasn't really provided me any answers so I thought I'd post up and any help would be very much appreciated. I have the cmdline.txt file as in the default zip file:

boot=/dev/mmcblk0 disk=/dev/sda1 ssh quiet

With a USB stick plugged into a powered USB hub. My problem is I also have a USB drive that I plug into the hub as well with loads of media on. If I have it plugged in at boot time the Pi won't boot as it seems to default to looking on the USB drive rather than the stick for the openelec boot stuff (without the hard drive plugged in it boots fine) - so it assumes the hard drive is /dev/sda1 rather than the stick. If I start the Pi booting without the drive and then plug the drive in it after openelec has loaded it either refuses to recognise the drive at all or it tries to mount it - seemingly on /dev/sda1 - and gets in a mess with unmounting storage (the usb stick) or the Pi just freezes.

I'd like to be able to use the hard drive as I watch a lot of stuff from it - so any help would be very much appreciated, but no worries obviously as I know you do it all for free and are busy (I won't post back complaining that no-one has helped or anything ;) )
Normally this is simple as you can just use the label of the disk instead like this:
Code:
boot=/dev/mmcblk0 disk=LABEL=(labelofdisk) ssh quiet
Problem is with this method openELEC has a bug that fails to label the disk when you do a system reset. (I made an issue over at git) the command of labeling a disk is missing I can only name partitions, I think I might have overlooked something though that I will try but have been delaying.

So until then you can probe around and sdb1 is likely as troggy mentions.

Edit: Or much better you can use this to label your partition back to STORAGE: http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/raspberry-pi-discussion/9605-fantastic-overlooked-partition-tool.html#post87053 and use the fail safe method above using the label. Remember the label is case sensitive.

Last edited:

MarkESmith

Jul 4, 2013
Cheers for the replies - I think I was way over complicating it. I'm slightly embarrassed that it didn't occur to me to change the /dev/ in the cmdline file! That is what comes of a long day working and then trying to rush to get the Pi back up and running after a crash...

Experimented with different combinations of /dev/sda(b) in the cmdline file and different ports on the hub and after several goes it *seems* to have booted and mounted the hard drive properly. It seems a bit flakey so will see how it goes and then have a look at doing the labelling properly.

Cheers all!

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
I talked or got answer from the openELEC folks that the labeling is NOT a bug. (Thanks Stefan) Its me not paying attention to the code changes.
They changed cmdline.txt to use LABEL as above and when it resets it simply uses this LABEL name to also label the disk. But since we use device names no label is created. A fool proof method should be easy now.

@whufclee: I don't know but maybe you can edit the video to match?
I will let you know when I change it. No hurry at all.

Last edited: