Install openELEC on USB/HD in 10mins!

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
I don't think you can do that ( the 1st part) , at least i cant :(

My win7 pc cant natively see the USB drive once its been formatted in ext4 format. However, I take a back up of the usb stick by using MiniTool partition in win7 which can see the usb stick , and can make a copy of the storage partition which i copy over to a portable hdd ( or a spare usb drive of equivalent size).
No if the usbstick is formatted as ext4 windows will imidiatly ask to format it and you can not backup using win32imager because there is no drive letter to choose.

Use the backup function in openELEC settings. Move backup file to new system and restore. Done.

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Tuxen, if I replace the file in step one with your image from the sepeate thread and then just follow the rest of the instructions will that work ?

Do you have any pre created files for slight overclock settings ( thinking something between fast and super equivalents on raspbmc )

Cheers once again
No that won't work.. If you want the overclock settings from that image you need to write it and then put the sdcard in a PC and grab the config.txt file. Save this file on the PC and copy it the the new setup when its done.

You can also just edit the existing config.txt change:
Code:
# arm_freq=700
To
arm_freq=800
And
Code:
# force_turbo=0
To
force_turbo=1
It's the only two settings I adjusted in my image. If you want it a little faster try change:
Code:
# core_freq=250
To
core_freq=400
Also you can try over clocking sd_ram_freq. These 3 parameters are the main ones. Plus make sure force_turbo=1.
If the file look gabled in notepad open it once in wordpad only to save and then open it again in notepad

Last edited:
May 6, 2012
England
No if the usbstick is formatted as ext4 windows will imidiatly ask to format it and you can not backup using win32imager because there is no drive letter to choose.

Use the backup function in openELEC settings. Move backup file to new system and restore. Done.
I held off from replying to this as you made me wonder whether or not I'd dreamt it all up! I can confirm that using win32diskimager does work on win7 x64 (or at least it does on both my laptop and media hub). When you insert the USB stick it says it needs formatting but it still assigns a drive letter, click on READ and Bob's your uncle :)

I just done a backup of my whufclee release which is being uploaded right now.

Frederick_99

Sep 18, 2012
UK
I held off from replying to this as you made me wonder whether or not I'd dreamt it all up! I can confirm that using win32diskimager does work on win7 x64 (or at least it does on both my laptop and media hub). When you insert the USB stick it says it needs formatting but it still assigns a drive letter, click on READ and Bob's your uncle :)

Strange because when i insert my usb 3 stick which has the ext4 partition for storage i get no message from Win 7 saying it needs formatting.....( which it does when inserting a SD card with an image loaded onto it from win32diskmanager !)

oh well :)

PS Using the Transcend 700 8Gb USB3

Frederick_99

Sep 18, 2012
UK

Strange because when i insert my usb 3 stick which has the ext4 partition for storage i get no message from Win 7 saying it needs formatting.....( which it does when inserting a SD card with an image loaded onto it from win32diskmanager !)

oh well :)

PS Using the Transcend 700 8Gb USB3

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark

You are right it does get one.. How else would it ask to format the drive letter lol. Sorry
But apparently there are some instances where it does not even ask according to Frederick_99. Odd
It should still get a letter though Whufclee is right I had a brain fart.

I still recommend using the backup/restore (regularly) function in openELEC settings if moving/copying a setup from one openELEC setup to another or to snapshot a backup on your system when you think everything is good or before installing some skin that installs +5 other addons and modules and afterwards you figure out you never use it because its not good..

Last edited:

MarkESmith

Jul 4, 2013
Normally this is simple as you can just use the label of the disk instead like this:
Code:
boot=/dev/mmcblk0 disk=LABEL=(labelofdisk) ssh quiet
Problem is with this method openELEC has a bug that fails to label the disk when you do a system reset. (I made an issue over at git) the command of labeling a disk is missing I can only name partitions, I think I might have overlooked something though that I will try but have been delaying.

So until then you can probe around and sdb1 is likely as troggy mentions.

Edit: Or much better you can use this to label your partition back to STORAGE: http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/raspberry-pi-discussion/9605-fantastic-overlooked-partition-tool.html#post87053 and use the fail safe method above using the label. Remember the label is case sensitive.
Belated post to say - to say cheers for the help tuxen and also to potentially help anyone else who may be having a similar problem - that this worked! I messed around with various combinations of /dev/sd(a/b)n and no real joy as the hub didn't seem to be consistent between boots. I used the partition tool to rename the USB partition back to STORAGE, edited the cmdline.txt with the following:

Code:
boot=/dev/mmcblk0 disk=LABEL=STORAGE ssh quiet
And all was good. But the hub was still causing me problems so it seems like even though it is powered, and my power supply for the Pi is fine, the power to the hub mustn't be enough or some sort of power issue. Eventually I gave in and plugged the storage USB straight into the Pi and my other USB hard drive into the hub - and finally all is sorted! Boots without issue, 99.9% of the time it mounts the USB drive straight away, and is definitely faster.

Now off to make use of it :)

kiteboy

Jul 5, 2013
Hi again
After buying the same transcend usb stick did a clean install - again all goes fine...xbmc works well off usb
However when doing any Openelec Dev update through the plugin
I get the following error
after the update kernal message:

Error in check_update:mount_common:could not mount /flash/SYSTEM

Any ideas where Im going wrong

Apologies if noob question - not really used the Pi in a while
Thanks for any advice

Frederick_99

Sep 18, 2012
UK
Hi again
After buying the same transcend usb stick did a clean install - again all goes fine...xbmc works well off usb
However when doing any Openelec Dev update through the plugin
I get the following error
after the update kernal message:

Error in check_update:mount_common:could not mount /flash/SYSTEM

Any ideas where Im going wrong

Apologies if noob question - not really used the Pi in a while
Thanks for any advice
exactly the message i get when trying to update manually from 3.0.6 to any of the 3.1.x versions currently available. [actually not strictly true, 3.1.0 went on Ok but was too buggy for me, but 3.1.1, 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 all failed ]

Tried un-clocking the Pi ( by removing config.txt of the Sd completely) in case of corruption and then updating but no different. Was going to wait until openelec 3.2 came out and then try again

kiteboy

Jul 5, 2013
exactly the message i get when trying to update manually from 3.0.6 to any of the 3.1.x versions currently available. [actually not strictly true, 3.1.0 went on Ok but was too buggy for me, but 3.1.1, 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 all failed ]

Tried un-clocking the Pi ( by removing config.txt of the Sd completely) in case of corruption and then updating but no different. Was going to wait until openelec 3.2 came out and then try again
Tried updating manually by copying files to the SD card through samba too

Get exactly the same error - least its not just me!

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Is this work with markrich image??
No this is a clean install. You can do a backup from marks image move the backup file to a computer make the clean install copy the backupfile back and do a restore though.

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Tried updating manually by copying files to the SD card through samba too

Get exactly the same error - least its not just me!
That's odd I had no problems updating from unofficial to 3.1.0 to 3.1.3 to unofficial and back to 3.1.3
I understand this error comes up after reboot right?
Seems like a sdcard error have you tried to do a disk check on the sdcard in windows?

Panic

Apr 8, 2013
No this is a clean install. You can do a backup from marks image move the backup file to a computer make the clean install copy the backupfile back and do a restore though.
ok, thanks. I am trying to do a usb install in USB with the markrich image but I have not clear.. when you said make a backup of marks image...how can I do that?? Sorry, I have raspbmc and want a try to openelec and mark rich but I am not familiar with openelec

stigmata1823

Jun 1, 2013
That's odd I had no problems updating from unofficial to 3.1.0 to 3.1.3 to unofficial and back to 3.1.3
I understand this error comes up after reboot right?
Seems like a sdcard error have you tried to do a disk check on the sdcard in windows?
i am on this build you posted bud then done the manuel install of new openelec release and then the pi wouldnt boot so having to start over! any ideas?

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
I'm not exactly sure what you mean if it doesn't reboot wait a little while then pull the plug and the update should begin at boot.

If it won't boot after it has done the update format the sdcard and copy the files from the zip to the sdcard remove any overclocking and try again.

Or you can format it copy the files from the zip to the sdcard then copy the SYSTEM and KERNEL file from the 3.1.3 to the sdcard and then rename KERNEL to kernel.img overwriting the old files and you should be updated to 3.1.3 when you boot.

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
ok, thanks. I am trying to do a usb install in USB with the markrich image but I have not clear.. when you said make a backup of marks image...how can I do that?? Sorry, I have raspbmc and want a try to openelec and mark rich but I am not familiar with openelec
Write Mark's image to a sdcard and then boot it. Go to openELEC settings in the right pane press down until you see the option "Create System and XBMC backup" choose it, wait till it has backed up. Then connect to the RPi using winscp and find the backup folder inside there is a backupfile.tar copy this to the PC.

Use this guide to make a clean install. Then winscp to the clean setup copy the backupfile.tar back to the now empty backup folder. Go to openELEC settings again and choose "Restore Backup" then choose the .tar file and it will restore Mark's backup to the new clean system.

Done.

Instead of winscp you can also grab the file using windows shares if you are more comfortable with this just press leftwindowskey+r the run box will popup enter \\openelec and you will get a list of folders on the RPi amongst them also the backup folder, enter it and grab the backup file. Same procedure to copy it back to the clean install.

Pretty easy. Btw the file will not be named backupfile.tar but thecurrentdateandtime.tar :)

Last edited:

Frederick_99

Sep 18, 2012
UK
Or you can format it copy the files from the zip to the sdcard then copy the SYSTEM and KERNEL file from the 3.1.3 to the sdcard and then rename KERNEL to kernel.img overwriting the old files and you should be updated to 3.1.3 when you boot.
thanks Tuxen, this worked for me, so now running 3.1.3.
For others trying this method I overwrote all files other than config and cmdline.txt so i kept my settings.

Just couldn't get update to work by SSH'ing the files to the .update directory...and then rebooting....no idea why !