Install openELEC on USB/HD in 10mins!

Panic

Apr 8, 2013
Write Mark's image to a sdcard and then boot it. Go to openELEC settings in the right pane press down until you see the option "Create System and XBMC backup" choose it, wait till it has backed up. Then connect to the RPi using winscp and find the backup folder inside there is a backupfile.tar copy this to the PC.

Use this guide to make a clean install. Then winscp to the clean setup copy the backupfile.tar back to the now empty backup folder. Go to openELEC settings again and choose "Restore Backup" then choose the .tar file and it will restore Mark's backup to the new clean system.

Done.

Instead of winscp you can also grab the file using windows shares if you are more comfortable with this just press leftwindowskey+r the run box will popup enter \\openelec and you will get a list of folders on the RPi amongst them also the backup folder, enter it and grab the backup file. Same procedure to copy it back to the clean install.

Pretty easy. Btw the file will not be named backupfile.tar but thecurrentdateandtime.tar :)
Thanks! it is more clear now. I will give a try this weekend

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
I refined the guide/files with a fail safe method to boot devices. Added command to relabel the USB/HD.
Next time you do a complete reset the disk will be labeled correct. And no "false" device boot's.

Also upgraded the initial boot files with latest official openELEC version 3.1.3

Enjoy!

Last edited:

oso

Sep 19, 2012
Been using a variant of your guide tuxen, had a read thru your first post and saw you was formatting usb to FAT32. Any particular reason for using that over EXT4 ?

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Because you need to install the mini partition tool to format anything as ext4 in windows and then I would need to explain how to do this to. So instead I fool openELEC to format from fat32 to ext4 in step 7-8.
Read them and you will understand. ;)

It's to make the guide as short and simple as possible. Without the use of any 3rd party tools that otherwise also would need explanation on how to use plus installing. I don't think you can explain that in 1-2 steps. :)

And the user does not need to install anything either.

Edit: that being said I have thought about modifying the guide for the mini partition tool. But then I came up with something even easier where you only need to press a button and everything is done for you, but that's still roaming in my head.

Last edited:

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
I'm great up to point 9 at which point I go eh, shrug and realise I have no idea what ssh is

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
ssh=a remote connection to the RPi the program for windows is called putty enter the RPi ip in the host field, the password is openelec :) I'll add it. Don't mix the video and guide to much after you figured out step 9 go by the guide again. It's good for getting hints though. :)

Did you get it to work? And did you get your other RPi?

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
thanks Tuxen, this worked for me, so now running 3.1.3.
For others trying this method I overwrote all files other than config and cmdline.txt so i kept my settings.

Just couldn't get update to work by SSH'ing the files to the .update directory...and then rebooting....no idea why !
Did you try do a check disk in windows?

Frederick_99

Sep 18, 2012
UK
Did you try do a check disk in windows?
I did yes, well at least the disk error checking tools under the properties> tools tab.

It did find some errors so I let it fix them etc but still no good. I tried a number of SD cards with similar results.

When rebooting sometimes it would get past the Checking KERNEL, SYSTEM and get to the updating kernel , updating system and either freeze at that point, or get this message when it tried to reboot

Error in prepare_sysroot : mount_common: Could not mount /dev/SYSTEM ***

so I gave up and used the alternative method of copying new 3.1.3 openelec files directly to the SD Card.

Also proves the value of having backups :)

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
ssh=a remote connection to the RPi the program for windows is called putty enter the RPi ip in the host field, the password is openelec :) I'll add it. Don't mix the video and guide to much after you figured out step 9 go by the guide again. It's good for getting hints though. :)

Did you get it to work? And did you get your other RPi?
I went with the video from start to finish and it seems to work
I use the turbo settings and it worked too

If intake the sd card out it continues to work so guess running off the USB stick

However within ten minutes the video froze again, just locked up and this is with new pi and new recommended plug

However ....... I may, fingers crossed, have located the problem
I was using a remote sensor designed for windows media center, the original USB reciver from many a year back
I noticed that even when not using the remote the red light would flicker and flash loads

I've removed this sensor and have now watched two 1080p files and no freeze.
Im guessing there may be something with that old remote sensor.

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
If I leave it on the hardware settings on system info it says CPU speed is 1000 and my temp is 65 occasionally hitting 66
Guess this means the clocking is working and I assume being able to remove the sd card once booted means its running off USB

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Thats good to whatever works for you (there are some issues you can run into by not performing step 9 and 10 if you add a harddrive extra usbstick etc and swap them around) that's why I refined it.

And super if its just your remote.. Have you tried using your tv remote, it work seamlessly with never TV's?
Works great for me the quality of the remote and not having to swap remotes are a big plus IMHO and the one of the primary reasons I use it in the living room.

Edit: Oh yeah sorry your where the one that preferred it to be disabled right?
Are your buttons mixed up? Every one on mine is mapped perfectly.

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
I did yes, well at least the disk error checking tools under the properties> tools tab.

It did find some errors so I let it fix them etc but still no good. I tried a number of SD cards with similar results.

When rebooting sometimes it would get past the Checking KERNEL, SYSTEM and get to the updating kernel , updating system and either freeze at that point, or get this message when it tried to reboot

Error in prepare_sysroot : mount_common: Could not mount /dev/SYSTEM ***

so I gave up and used the alternative method of copying new 3.1.3 openelec files directly to the SD Card.

Also proves the value of having backups :)
Odd sounds like a to high clock when writing to the sdcard, you can try renaming config.txt to config.bak before update if it updates you know that its that. And can rename the file back to .txt because there are some files that doesn't get updated using the straight copy method. Its the bootloader and firmware you can copy those manually to though they reside in the 3rdparty dir in the .tar file. Be careful not to overwrite config.txt if you want to keep your settings.

If the renaming (disabling overclock) config.txt works then you have 2 options to update which is fastest or more convenient is up to you. Or you can go down in clock until the normal method will work. :)

Last edited:

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
Thats good to whatever works for you and great if its just your remote.. Have you tried using your tv remote, it work seamlessly with never TV's?
Works great for me the quality of the remote and not having to swap remotes are a big plus IMHO and the one of the primary reasons I use it in the living room.

Edit: Oh yeah sorry your where the one that preferred it to be disabled right?
Are your buttons mixed up? Every one on mine is mapped perfectly.
I use a harmony touch universal remote and as such it gets confused if I have the tv remote thingy turned on

Two films, no freezing, points to the remote sensor I'm guessing.

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
If I leave it on the hardware settings on system info it says CPU speed is 1000 and my temp is 65 occasionally hitting 66
Guess this means the clocking is working and I assume being able to remove the sd card once booted means its running off USB
Yep.. Great same temp and over clock as me. And don't worry about the temp there is a builtin slowdown if it reaches 85. Mine reaches 70 if I really push it. But it is supposed to run at those temperatures.

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
I use a harmony touch universal remote and as such it gets confused if I have the tv remote thingy turned on

Two films, no freezing, points to the remote sensor I'm guessing.
Ah so you use the harmony for everything I have one to but I was really disappointed with the speed/quality/battery life of it. It is really old now though can't remember the model it has a display though.
Now I use my TV remote for everything via. CEC: TV, Bluray, Receiver, and RPi. :)

I guess you need to hunt a new ir sensor down then, glad to hear you found the problem. And it wasn't the pi.

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Btw. You can still perform step 9 and 10 for a perfect boot safe setup if you like. :)
But I guess you are gonna fill the other USB port with a new sensor so its not a potential problem unless you decide to get a hub and a harddrive and use it as a mini file server. Which it doubles great for because of the very low power consumption (2W) lol.

Last edited:

Frederick_99

Sep 18, 2012
UK
Odd sounds like a to high clock when writing to the sdcard, you can try renaming config.txt to config.bak before update if it updates you know that its that. And can rename the file back to .txt because there are some files that doesn't get updated using the straight copy method. Its the bootloader and firmware you can copy those manually to though they reside in the 3rdparty dir in the .tar file. Be careful not to overwrite config.txt if you want to keep your settings.

If the renaming (disabling overclock) config.txt works then you have 2 options to update which is fastest or more convenient is up to you. Or you can go down in clock until the normal method will work. :)
thanks again Tuxen for your reply
However, I completely removed the overclock by removing config.txt from the SD card prior to trying the update by SSh'ing the update files into the correct directory. Not a big issue for me as I know I can update now by removing the SD card from the Pi and updating using the correct files from the openelec update .tar file. A slight inconvenience as I have to shut the Pi down etc but no real hassle.