Install openELEC on USB/HD in 10mins!

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Odd.. Just remember to also update those bootloader firmware files from the 3rdparty folder also (or at least once a while) to get those updates/fixes as well. :)

Frederick_99

Sep 18, 2012
UK
Odd.. Just remember to also update those bootloader firmware files from the 3rdparty folder also (or at least once a while) to get those updates/fixes as well. :)
yes it is odd but Im not going to worry if i have an easy workaround...and yes thanks for mentioning the bootloader files from 3rd party, i did do just that anyway but its a good reminder :)

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Can you by any chance post your cmdline.txt as I'm interested in why it goes wrong for future reference?
Though I highly doubt there would be anything there, I just don't know where to start.

Last edited:

Frederick_99

Sep 18, 2012
UK
Can you by any chance post your cmdline.txt as I'm interested in why it goes wrong for future reference?
Though I highly doubt there would be anything there, I just don't know where to start.
no problem its :

boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/sda1 ssh quiet

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
Cheers All

So if I wanted to run XMBC on a PI off a USB stick (as doing now) but use a custom image first I have to

(1) install custom image first and run that
(2) Backup custom image
(3) Run the "install to usb process using latest vanilla OpenElec
(4) Restore the backup

Is this correct ?

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Yes exactly. There are some steps missing.
1. Ok
2. Ok

2.1. Copy the backupfile to a PC using samba: leftwindowskey + r in run box type \\openelec or \\ipaddressofpi
2.2. A list of folder appear on the PC, go to Backup folder grab (timeanddate).tar file and drag it to PC

3. Ok

3.1. Copy the backupfile back to pi from PC using samba: leftwindowskey + r in run box type \\openelec or \\ipaddressofpi
3.2. A list of folder appear on the PC, grab (timeanddate).tar from PC and drag it to Backup folder on pi

4. Ok

You need to perform 2.1 and 2.2 because when you perform step 3 the backupfile and everything gets deleted.
If you wanna install the same backup to another pi obviously just skip 2.1 and 2.2 ;)

Last edited:

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
Cheers
Feeling good that im learning - I was even cocky enough not to mention 2.1, 2.2, 3.1 and 3.2 in my list lol :)

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Great! Seems like you have come a long way.

I wrote it cause you never know.. I took for granted you knew SSH. :)

Last edited:

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
Cheers again Tuxen
with your help now have a fully functioning PI
clocked to turbo and running off the usb 3.0 its as good as the pc i was using

Panic

Apr 8, 2013
@tuxen: Is possible to use filezilla to copy the backupfile?? I mean conect to rapsberry via SSH with Login: root and Password: openelec

May 6, 2012
England
Filezilla is always my choice, mainly because I'm used to it from the xbox days but it's a very good program. Just make sure you enable the "show hidden files" option otherwise you'll just get empty directories.

bromerzz

Nov 9, 2012
Cyprus
Tuxen and Whufclee thank you both for the posts and videos. Until yesterday I had never tried the Openelec distro. Having watched Lee's videos a couple of times I then had a mad couple of hours installing openelec on 3 different USB 2 sticks and also over clocked a card.
24 hours later and ....So far... they are all still working and just in case its of any use here are the USB2 sticks I used, Kingston Datatraveller 100D2 16GB, Kingston DTSE9 8GB and best of those 3 as it seems to read and write that much quicker SanDisk Cruzer Force 8GB. I installed Fusion and my prefferred bunch of repos/add ons on all 3 devices then checked the temp 59c, 64c and 66c in the same order as I showed the devices, and all on the same Raspberry pi.
My only drip is i use Expat TV and Filmon and have been unable to source the add on for that within Openelec,....so any ideas? I have steered clear of the xbmc hub wizard so far, perhaps thats where its hiding.
In my village here the only USB3 stick available was 64GB Sandisk for €42 so held off on that for now...maybe I'll weaken in the morning and go get one now I know how easy the install is. For the sd card I used a well beaten Kingston micro sd card and adapter. The overclocking within the config files was also a doodle and I have used the settings stated in Lees video. So far so good although I have had a couple of freezes when navigating around within Na*i-X so it looks like I may need to turn something down.
Anyway great work guys and thanks again.

May 6, 2012
England
Thanks for taking the time to share your results, I'm sure they will be very useful to people.

You'll find those addons in the xbmchub repository, you don't have to use the hubwizard if you don't want to - there is an xbmchub repo on fusion in the video section.

bromerzz

Nov 9, 2012
Cyprus
Yes I have enabled the xbmchub repo through fusion but the expat tv and film on add ons do not appear under get more.
I recall reading somewhere else not to use the hub wizard within openelec as it confuses matters, is that correct? Maybe I could give it a whizz as all I will need to do is reformat one of my usb2 sticks if it goes t..ts up.

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
In this heat wave we have over here my pi reached 75c at times lol still stable as a rock, 3 days since I needed a reboot for something else. It never freezes or behave odd. :)

I would just use the fusion web installer. Let me check if they are there.

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Yep both filmon and expat tv is present in the xbmchub.com repo. Look closer under video addons. 8)
If you install it from the wizard they will get updated from xbmchub repo so they are for sure there.

bromerzz

Nov 9, 2012
Cyprus
Just to confirm for what its worth ..
Installed openelec on Sandisk extreme 16gb usb 3 and its noticeable how much faster everything is over raspbmc config with just an sd card.
I have a damaged sd entry port on one raspberry pi and can use it if I hold the card in whilst booting up with the usb method.Its not a problem because I can take out the sd card once fired up and she carries on regardless...until you need a reboot.
Also with a Digital Element 4 port usb hub connected once operating, I could pull the micro usb power supply and it would still run with power drawn from the usb hub.