Install openelec to USB in under 5 minutes!

Hustler

Mar 24, 2013
Florida
One quick question, does the file on OP of the in 10 minute page include Tuxens latest libtemp fix? or can we do this with the Mark Rick
3,1.7 OC file?

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
First great work Whufclee but you miss the magic step - reformat to ext4. And yes it is really the magic step. heh. Second this is not a attack on a method I find lesser or anything like that, but its my experience and knowledge from the OS. You make some real nice posts and videos that I admire a lot. So nothing but love! :)

The STORAGE NEEDS to be ext4 or you will run into ALOT of trouble as troggy mentions above.
Just wait till you install a couple of addons.. Etc.. Etc. problem is fat has no file management ie who owns what file who has access to it, is it readable?, writeable?, or executeable?

Believe me I tried this option through. You WILL continuously run into trouble! There's a reason its ext4.
In the other guide we made openELEC format it back to ext4 with the reset openELEC to default setting.

You also break any user scripts/hacks special settings again because of permissions.
For me after a while odd messages at boot. Then everything stopped working. Then mount error.

It has to do with /var and most important /etc being writable temporarily and openELEC uses this for system files. Also .cache, .config, etc on /storage is screwed. And that openELEC expects to mount and unmount a ext4 device not a fat32 device along with files so no matter if you closed it down the "correct way" it will still shutdown "dirty".

It doesn't just come down to movie files being on /storage as said openELEC borrows some space here.

I would never support a broken addon on fat32 because the solution is to reformat to ext4.
And corrupted files will not be fixed at reboot.

Anyway I'm just saying been there done that! Do yourself a favor and install it the correct way. :)
I'm not trying to look down on anything here, but I am trying a little damage control.
Again there is a reason its ext4..

-
@whufclee: for some constructive criticism, why not center your guide around mini partition tool?
1. Format sdcard in mpt as primary FAT32, label SYSTEM
2. Format usbstick in mpt as extended EXT4, label STORAGE
3. Copy files from zip to sdcard
4. Put both in RPi and turn on the power

Tbh. I think the above if explained with a screen shoot would be install openELEC on USB in 2 mins lol.

But seriously please do not put this in loop as a correct way to install openELEC on USB who knows what we will run into of trouble (I know some now) in the future.

I have spent hours getting a perfect bug free install method working to convert to ext4 as easily as possible to avoid exactly this FAT32 thing. Ended up using the reset function as you know.

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
One quick question, does the file on OP of the in 10 minute page include Tuxens latest libtemp fix? or can we do this with the Mark Rick
3,1.7 OC file?
It does not include that fix, I don't think mark includes it either. But you can apply it afterwards on both.
Attempting it on fat32 will only get you into trouble.

Last edited:

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Hmmm.
Maybe this is just me. If I open the usb stick in explorer via samba all looks good. Open a few folders, look around a bit and it all slows down. And then stops working altogether. Last time I tried I left the screen on and saw a 'successfully un-mounted Storage' message flash up, at which point everything stopped working - as you'd expect.

So - can somebody have a root around the folders via smb in explorer and see if your pi goes pear-shaped please.
This is what will happen pretty fast. Samba share poking or not.

Last edited:
May 6, 2012
England
Thanks for the info tuxen, I was hoping you'd give your input on this. That's the reason I didn't add this as a sticky as I had a feeling there may well be plenty of bugs! I'll edit the OP and tell users not to use this method and I agree, a guide using miniPT is a good idea and that was on my todo list, it's just moved up as a priority!

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
I think that's a great idea.
Because using the mini partition tool is really the easiest, fastest and will guarantee a rock solid result every time. Like I wrote its also just 4 steps.

1. Format sdcard in mpt as primary FAT32, label SYSTEM, active (bootable)
2. Format usbstick in mpt as extended EXT4, label STORAGE
3. Copy files from zip to sdcard
4. Put both in RPi and turn on the power

No other tools needed just wipe any partitions first ofcause, the new partions made are automatically formatted. Coupled with a zip including latest OE version and a fail safe cmdline.txt that uses label instead of device id.

With a click here, and here video or screenshots and the guide will be totally idiot proof and THE guide to use.

The reason I didn't do it is because I discovered the tool after the Reset trick and I didn't wanna to mix it and add extra steps to explain the tool. Then I might as well write a new guide that would be the final one but I haven't had time, my laptops not installed, get enough of computer at work, using a iPad ATM which is hopeless for even proper cut/paste, my cat is hogging my bandwidth, etc lol.

Feel free to make it, you do a excellent job of describing things..
My advise keep it simple and leave out overclocking and other stuff so everything is 100%

Your thoughts?
It would clean up a couple of sticky's, that could be used to explain what's left out like config.txt oc'ing? :)

Last edited:

DWP2

Nov 13, 2013
Which fix, Tuxen?

It does not include that fix, I don't think mark includes it either. But you can apply it afterwards on both.
Attempting it on fat32 will only get you into trouble.
Tuxen, which fix to we apply afterwards? (Forgive me, my brain is fried from hours of reading forums on his topic and am unable to trace back Hustler's remark.)

Thanks for the great stuff!

Last edited:

DWP2

Nov 13, 2013
Today after a good sleep I started to do my install on a 4GB SD and my new SanDisk Extreme 3.0 GB usb stick, formatted both per steps 1 and 2 above, then realized I wasn't which zip I should download. Mark Rick's 3.2.3 4GB version? Is that the same as the "ARM version 3.2.3" on the OpenELEC.tv download screen?

Hustler

Mar 24, 2013
Florida
Today after a good sleep I started to do my install on a 4GB SD and my new SanDisk Extreme 3.0 GB usb stick, formatted both per steps 1 and 2 above, then realized I wasn't which zip I should download. Mark Rick's 3.2.3 4GB version? Is that the same as the "ARM version 3.2.3" on the OpenELEC.tv download screen?
The file is on the OP http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/raspberry-pi-discussion/12381-[video-guide]-install-openelec-usb-under-5-minutes.html It will be outdated. You will need to let it update

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Thanks for the info tuxen, I was hoping you'd give your input on this. That's the reason I didn't add this as a sticky as I had a feeling there may well be plenty of bugs! I'll edit the OP and tell users not to use this method and I agree, a guide using miniPT is a good idea and that was on my todo list, it's just moved up as a priority!
Oh think back think back lol.. I meant the librtmp "fix" it fixes some issues with live streaming but if you have no problems you probably do not need to update either. What I meant is I don't know if mark has updated this file by doing the hack from the "use latest librtmp with openELEC" thread. In that case you need to copy some extra files or simply (maybe easier) follow the librtmp guide after install.

DWP2

Nov 13, 2013
Last night I got everything properly installed, thanks to the 4 steps. I am majorly impressed with the response improvements. I overclocked to 1000,500,500,6,force_turbo=0. This thing now flits happily and effortlessly through the menus and with a locked SD there is no longer a worry of corruption and this is huge! The only pausing to speak of is waiting for data to load - is that loading faster? Who knows, probably not but that is a different issue for which somebody will develop some ideas.

Last edited: