Installing addons using terminal. Is it possible?

GMan73

May 10, 2012
I was wondering is it possible to install and enable addons using terminal? I know I can do this in XBMC, but I was wondering is it possible to write script that will install addons from zip files located in "Applications" folder on ATV2.

Reason for this is because I want to clone my ATV2 settings and addons on another ATV2, and XBMC backup addon doesn't work between different devices. If I copy all my addon zip files into "Applications" folder can I write script that will install and enable them all? Something similar to how we install XBMC using terminal. I just want to save myself 1 hour of clicking with remote and possibly even more if I have to do this again.

Thanks.

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
It should be possible yes. But if you are not familiar with writing scripts in *nix you should start by learning that.

GMan73

May 10, 2012
Thanks for quick reply. Learning unix scripts just for this sounds like overkill to me since I don't have aspiration to build XBMC addons later. I was hoping someone else already have done something similar and would be willing to share. I guess having at least script to install and enable one addon would help because we can then find our way around creating script for other addons.

Software like AutoHotkey could help too. I have found script for AutoHotkey which installs XBMC, NitoTV & Overflow automatically, no need to copy paste lines. No fancy stuff, does the same think as me manually adding lines.

Bstrdsmkr

Mar 16, 2012
Long story short you can, but it can cause problems. Either copy the whole xbmc folder or copy the zip files and install from zip through the GUI

GMan73

May 10, 2012
Well, that's the problem. With Firmware 4.4.4 you can't copy XBMC folder between different devices or use "XBMC Backup" plugin and use files on different device. Actually, you can copy files but all plugins will give you "script error" once they try to get file from the net. This is why I'm trying to do this using scripts.

tuxen

Banned
Mar 23, 2012
Denmark
Can't you just use a pc to distribute a atv2 profile to each atv2 that should be real easy.
This you could also script this much easier but again isn't scripting it a bit overkill? As you should be able to just connect a atv2 copy, connect next atv's copy, etc.

Last edited:

GMan73

May 10, 2012
That's the thing, I can use PC and that's what I want. But once I setup XMBC on one device I can't copy preferences to another because I get "script error" on every plugin. As I understand this is not possible on 4.4.4.