Installing Netflix for Kodi Krypton

Osteele

Nov 26, 2012
Hello all. This week I went from an M8+ Android box to a T95u Pro. The M8+ came with Netflix installed and always worked fine (I am a Netflix subscriber) The new box did not come loaded with Netflix and I am having a difficult locating the addon. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
As of a few days ago Netflix blocked installs on all non-Google certified devices and all rooted devices from the Play Store...

It appears though for the time being that you can still side load the app on non-certified and rooted devices...

This would be the most current (May 15th) Netflix apk...

Code:
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/netflix-inc/netflix/netflix-5-0-5-build-16199-release/

Frederick_99

Sep 18, 2012
UK
probably best to simply extract the apk off his M8+ and sideload onto his T95

at least he knows that version worked...

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
The link I gave has been confirmed by many 'Android Forums' to work just fine on rooted and non-certified versions even though the Play Store refuses to allow it to be installed on said devices... Right now it appears they are only blocking installs of Netflix at the Play Store level, not at the apk itself software level... I suspect that will change in time and newer versions of Netflix won't be so easy to side load, but for now that is not the case, yet...

Osteele

Nov 26, 2012
Thank you both very much for the prompt reply. @Meep Installation of the .apk went smoothly and I am able to open / browse the Netflix choices. However, regardless of what I choose to play I always get the very same error message. There is a problem playing the video. Please try again (5.2)

So, here is an update. It seems that I had to install an older version found here:

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/netflix-inc/netflix/netflix-4-8-5-build-9781-release/netflix-4-8-5-build-9781-android-apk-download/download/

Tested several movie titles. No error message so far.

Last edited:

Meep

Aug 23, 2016
There is a problem playing the video. Please try again (5.2]
This is a common problem on rooted devices (even factory rooted devices) when using Netflix (and other DRM video players)...

Using a file explorer that can access root...

Go to /system/vendor/lib

Find the file liboemcrypto.so delete it or rename it liboemcrypto.bak

Reboot and you should be golden with the current version of Netflix... For good measure sometimes it's best to go into file settings and clear all the data in Netflix prior to rebooting...

Do note that even if the older version of Netflix is working now, other 'legit' DRM protected video apps might not work until you follow the above steps...

which is why suggested to use the apk of your older device
The problem they encountered was because the device is rooted, it's a well known issue... IMO better to fix the problem at the cause, then use a legacy software work around... But, that is just me...