Installing Openelec problem

May 6, 2012
Hi

I have been trying all day to install openelec on atv1. I create the usb drive to boot from but the atv nevers sees it or boots off of it. I have tried from 2gig to 32 gig ones nothing. I use the same drive with crystalbuntu and it boots off of that no problem. I have to clue what step im missing. Followed this guide
hxxp://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Step_2_Create_the_USB_Key_%28from_Mac_OS_X%29

thanks

May 6, 2012
Hey noticed this error below but not sure how to fix it

INFO: Creating KEYWORD file on OPENELEC
./swissarmyknife_osx.sh: line 247: /Volumes/OPENELEC/KEYWORD.txt: No such file or directory

crusader88

Apr 19, 2013
Hey noticed this error below but not sure how to fix it

INFO: Creating KEYWORD file on OPENELEC
./swissarmyknife_osx.sh: line 247: /Volumes/OPENELEC/KEYWORD.txt: No such file or directory
Try creating it on another USB some aren't recognized, what are you using, i have always used an hp usb or a sandisk one.

May 6, 2012
Tried 4 different ones from kingston to sandisk. On a mac. Still no go, but when I use the same drives for crystalbuntu or even firecore 4.5 they all work to install from usb on the atv1

May 6, 2012
I keep going over the instructions. Just copy and paste from the guide and that text in red is the error. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I found Information on openelec site about osx 10.8.x+ and something about drives over 1gig. Is there anyone who has a guide here for dong this on a mac or even windows

thanks

May 6, 2012
I have searched some much my head is going to explode from reading and not finding an answer. Is there a way to create the drive using a PC with win7? All I find are mac and linux instructions

Kjxn

May 11, 2012
This is what i did:
1. I installed Ubuntu 12.04.2 on my windows 7 machine.
2. Made the .iso bootable (burned to cd with Poweriso)
3. Booted my pc up with my bootable .iso.
4. Ran LiveCD,
5. Ran the commands.

It's an open source program and works pretty slick.

May 6, 2012
This is what i did:
1. I installed Ubuntu 12.04.2 on my windows 7 machine.
2. Made the .iso bootable (burned to cd with Poweriso)
3. Booted my pc up with my bootable .iso.
4. Ran LiveCD,
5. Ran the commands.

It's an open source program and works pretty slick.
Must be a better way than that

Kjxn

May 11, 2012
Yes, buy a MAC ;). It was pretty simple to do. If you figure out a better way, please share - good luck!

May 6, 2012
Yes, buy a MAC ;). It was pretty simple to do. If you figure out a better way, please share - good luck!
I have 3 Mac's. I found the problems. 1 Imac's & 1 macbook are running snow leopard they always gave that error. I tried my other Imac running mountain lion but it was full of permission errors. Fixed the permission errors with a command I finally found on the net. Then ran the commands boom no errors. Maybe this will helps others

Kjxn

May 11, 2012
Great news!!! Good job! I guess you found an easier way! :)

Last edited:
May 6, 2012
Yup I did. Also I tried a2gig Kingston usb stick and it was created error free but the ATV1 would never see it. I used a no name $8 16gig worked perfect. They really are fussy on usb drives