Intel nuc dn2820 help please

Jamie Roberts

Oct 22, 2012
Hi all
I've got the above with 4gb ram. Can you tell me should I set cache to zero so streams etc load quicker ?
I've not had a nuc before, it's running openelec

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
Hi all
I've got the above with 4gb ram. Can you tell me should I set cache to zero so streams etc load quicker ?
I've not had a nuc before, it's running openelec
0 cache does not actually speed up streaming as such
it does not make slow broadband speeds faster, what it does do though is cache the data to the storage of the device you are using and 0 basically sets the buffer its used as "unlimited"

There are various schools of thoughts about this - some say DONT use it (especially for live streaming as in effect you are potentially downloading and infinite amount of data thus possibly filling the storage)

Im however of the other school. I use it, it may be a placebo but its an easier way of knowing that I can press pause at the beginning of a show, go off, make a brew and then watch with no buffering

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
As Dunkle says the 0 cache wont speed up a slow stream but it can help by buffering ahead if you pause the video,
assuming you have the NUC you previously mentioned to me the 500 GB hard drive in it may come in handy as setting the cachemembuffersize setting to 0 writes to the disk instead of the RAM, taken from the XBMC wiki:-

" <cachemembuffersize>20971520</cachemembuffersize> <!-- number of bytes used for buffering streams ahead in memory
{{subst:Name}} will not buffer ahead more than this. WARNING: for the bytes set here, {{subst:Name}} will consume 3x the amount of RAM
When set to 0 the cache will be written to disk instead of RAM, as of v12 Frodo -->"

Also from the wiki which may or may not help (sorry I haven't tried them to know) are these settings:-

" <buffermode>0</buffermode> <!-- Choose what to buffer:
0) Buffer all internet filesystems (like "2" but additionally also ftp, webdav, etc.) (default)
1) Buffer all filesystems (including local)
2) Only buffer true internet filesystems (streams) (http, etc.)
3) No buffer -->
<readbufferfactor>1.0</readbufferfactor> <!-- this factor determines the max readrate in terms of readbufferfactor * avg bitrate of a video file.
This can help on bad connections to keep the cache filled. It will also greatly speed up buffering. Default value 1.0. -->
"

How is your new NUC btw?

Jamie Roberts

Oct 22, 2012
Thanks for the reply . Very happy with my nuc but not put it through its paces yet.
Will start messing around with heavier skins soon too see how it copes.
I do like having a large hdd to store my movies direct , I know it's not a ssd but it seems to be quick enough for my needs.