Intel NUC my impressions, comming from RPI, ouya and ATV520

jokster

Staff member
Jan 3, 2013
Tír na nÓg
same model as yourself mate, i had my eye on them for a while and got one for under £130, kingston msata and kingston ram.
now for the long impatient wait lol

not sure about a remote though.
i have options lying around the house, tiny wireless kb with touch pad, mce, ps3, air mouse from droid box, phone
but i might go for something new.

charliebrown

Jan 12, 2013
same model as yourself mate, i had my eye on them for a while and got one for under £130, kingston msata and kingston ram.
now for the long impatient wait lol

not sure about a remote though.
i have options lying around the house, tiny wireless kb with touch pad, mce, ps3, air mouse from droid box, phone
but i might go for something new.
Yeah thats a bargain, Ever thought about flirc?

jokster

Staff member
Jan 3, 2013
Tír na nÓg
mmmm... thats a thought, but you pick up an old ps3 remote for under a fiver.
it would help with the amount of remotes though :)

Tab

Jul 23, 2013
Just thought I'd chime in. I have the Celeron nuc running Openelec, ssd, Wi-Fi with bluetooth and 4gb memory.

It is whippet quick, boots in around 10 seconds. Plays everything I have thrown at it both from my local nas, and over the internet, ice films etc... full 1080p. All over Wi-Fi as well.

I run xperience1080, which is a pretty heavy skin, without any issue. Smooth as butter.

Is one of the best purchases I have made.

richiebrowns

Jan 12, 2014
Which model is the celeron one?

I've been looking at the red i3 one and the newer wilson ones, but the prices do go up quite a bit. ]

jokster

Staff member
Jan 3, 2013
Tír na nÓg
aw man - gutted
who forgot to order a wifi card?
yes captain stupid here!!!

kit arrived today but theres not a lot i do with it :(

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
Think it's mentioned here but I too realised yesterday that my issues with the time streams took to play was with the pi and not my internet speed. I always thought that speed of navigation etc would be down to the pi and this was fast enough, but my streams taking a minute or two to load would be down to only having 4mb internet. However I experimented with installing xbmc on my windows pc and those said same streams played in an instant

As such i have ordered a celeron nuc

jokster

Staff member
Jan 3, 2013
Tír na nÓg
charliebrown mate what did you do to get your boot down so fast?
i turned off the gfx gfx on boot but i'm not sure about what else to tinker with.
also did what build of openelec did you use?
i has a nightmare getting it installed and had to settle for the generic build.

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
charliebrown mate what did you do to get your boot down so fast?
i turned off the gfx gfx on boot but i'm not sure about what else to tinker with.
also did what build of openelec did you use?
i has a nightmare getting it installed and had to settle for the generic build.
Interested also in this
Having ordered the gear ill be eager to set up asap

charliebrown

Jan 12, 2013
Hey!

I havent done anything special, ive turned off boot from network. How long time does your take to boot? Im using the intel 64bit build(there isnt a dedicated nuc build is there??), installed and works flawless! Are you having problem with the intel build? I dont have a wifi card either, i use thunderbolt gigabit adapter to connect to the internet.

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
Out of interest, with the extra power im looking at doing extra things

Can emulation of SNES, Megadrive etc now be completed within Openelec ?
Could I use an old Xbox 360 controller ?

jokster

Staff member
Jan 3, 2013
Tír na nÓg
got my usb to lan adapter - now we're suckin diesel!
good wee machine indeed, i havent dug into it too much yet but first impressions are all good.
thank god for xbmcbackup, that saved me a ton of setting up and dling.

sitting back to futurama care of GOtv

i'll get back to the gubbins if the wife/baby let me :)

jokster

Staff member
Jan 3, 2013
Tír na nÓg
i got a little play around with this yesterday so here's my second impression.

the NUC is a neat tidy little number and doesnt look out of place sitting beside the TV.
it has a damn fast boot, which i havent timed yet but is in and around 10 seconds.
the remote i was using is either not the best with the NUC or is on its way out so i settled for the phone remote, which works very well.

it handled all media i threw at it with ease up to and including 1080p with full DTS audio.
addons load, populate and play quicker than any of my previous devices (bar my desktop - but its mainly for testing only).

it handled all the skins i tried with aplomb including the rather intensive Aeon Nox.
i settled on Bello (for now!), its a gorgeous skin.

my only complaint is the fan.
its a bit on the high pitched side for my liking though when a show is playing you cant hear it.
but with some skins i found it irritating, especially when it geared up on a menu transition.
i really noticed this with Nox and when wigets, background animations and effects where turned on it was constant.

all in all a superb device for those willing the spend a few quid extra :)
the fan noise does let it down a little along with the lack of a LAN port on this model (for me LAN should be standard)
so i'd give it 8/10

my build
Intel NUC DC3217BY
Kingston SSDNow SMS200S3/120G (120GB) mSATA SSD
Kingston 4GB (1x4GB) Memory Module 1600MHz SODIMM 204-pin DDR3
USB to LAN Ethernet Adapter

total cost £254.50

at some time i may add an external slimline BD drive.
i've seen them on ebay for £22.50 sure thats for nowt!
but i'll wait and see how BD support progress on XBMC frist.

now to find time to rebuild and setup my 5.1 setup

costak12

Jan 22, 2014
Intel Nuc xbmchub wizard install

So i´ve been spunging alot of info off this forum, time to contribute a little.

Been on xmbc since the xbox period on and off. And most recently raspberry, atv520 then ouya and now a i3 nuc.

Coming from raspberry to ouya was amazing, everything was faster and i could use alot of skins that the rpi couldn’t even touch. The ouya is a little unstable at times but all in all a well worth upgrade from the RPI.

I purchased a i3 intel nuc last week and installed openelec on a 64gb msata drive and wow!
If going from rpi to ouya was 200% better then going from ouya to this is 800% better.

Theres no comparing the nuc with openelec to anything else i´ve used. everything is FAST! no more loading pages, my remotes works as they should no more rooting or hacks to get it to work the way i want. When streaming movies from 1ch, Ic*f*lms, project free tv, youtube etc, they more or less start at an instant. I always thought that it was the server hosting the files was the hold up and never realising that the platform you got at home had a big part in it to, and it has! The menus and everything else is like butter, no waiting everything happens in an instant. And booting up the nuc to xbmc takes about 7-8sec. I use Amber as my main skin so thats what im comparing it with.

Im pretty much done with the android boxes for a xbmc setup, except for maybe in the bedroom where my ouya now stands. It is a price difference between these systems, but its well wort the extra bucks! I´ve been looking for an xbmc setup like this since i started more or less, it silky smooth, and have no regrets!

So if your in the market for a new mediacenter then 200bucks in total for the nuc configured is well spent money!

I did purchase the i3 version, but as i read around the cheapest nuc that has a celeron processor in it, is suppost to work just a good as the i3 with openelec.

Gigabyte has a unit called “brix” wich i heard some real nice things about to.

This is in no way a slander to any other system, but i figured there might be other people interested in this.

--Did you get the xbmchub wizard to work on the Intel Nuc? I just setup the same system as you yesterday and your right it runs amazing for such a small box!

stammie

May 10, 2012
The Blue Nowhere
Jokster, have you tried enabling dirty regions in your advancedsettings.xml?
Doing this took the cpu useage on my slightly weedy 2nd HTPC down from around 25% to less than 10% when in the gui on Aeon Nox

charliebrown

Jan 12, 2013
joskter: Mate i dont even hear the fan on mine unless i put my ear on it more or less, altough i use the amber skin dont know how much that differs from eaon nox, does the fan ramp up regardless of what skin u using?

Costak12: i dont use the wizard, i do get my repos from fusion, but i like to handpick on whats installed on my mashine and read up on what addons i want, its kind of fun to do that to =)

Last edited: