Intel NUC my impressions, comming from RPI, ouya and ATV520

Clarkie41

Jun 7, 2013

cutnshoot84

Jun 3, 2014
streaming to multiple tvs

So i´ve been spunging alot of info off this forum, time to contribute a little.

Been on xmbc since the xbox period on and off. And most recently raspberry, atv520 then ouya and now a i3 nuc.

Coming from raspberry to ouya was amazing, everything was faster and i could use alot of skins that the rpi couldn’t even touch. The ouya is a little unstable at times but all in all a well worth upgrade from the RPI.

I purchased a i3 intel nuc last week and installed openelec on a 64gb msata drive and wow!
If going from rpi to ouya was 200% better then going from ouya to this is 800% better.

Theres no comparing the nuc with openelec to anything else i´ve used. everything is FAST! no more loading pages, my remotes works as they should no more rooting or hacks to get it to work the way i want. When streaming movies from 1ch, Ic*f*lms, project free tv, youtube etc, they more or less start at an instant. I always thought that it was the server hosting the files was the hold up and never realising that the platform you got at home had a big part in it to, and it has! The menus and everything else is like butter, no waiting everything happens in an instant. And booting up the nuc to xbmc takes about 7-8sec. I use Amber as my main skin so thats what im comparing it with.

Im pretty much done with the android boxes for a xbmc setup, except for maybe in the bedroom where my ouya now stands. It is a price difference between these systems, but its well wort the extra bucks! I´ve been looking for an xbmc setup like this since i started more or less, it silky smooth, and have no regrets!

So if your in the market for a new mediacenter then 200bucks in total for the nuc configured is well spent money!

I did purchase the i3 version, but as i read around the cheapest nuc that has a celeron processor in it, is suppost to work just a good as the i3 with openelec.

Gigabyte has a unit called “brix” wich i heard some real nice things about to.

This is in no way a slander to any other system, but i figured there might be other people interested in this.
Sounds like you have been perfecting your system and def. know what works and doesn't work. I just downloaded XBMC a couple days ago and Im setting it up but I am pretty new to all this. I hope you don't mind but I wanted to ask a couple questions. 3
I will eventually refer to your system in the future but what would you recommend that's a little cheaper. I just got put on disability due to an accident and I am dropping dish . I have my son and his family living with me now and was wanting to set something up that will work 3 different rooms and each room work independently if that is possible.
I have an HP g7 laptop and my son has an HP also in his room.
Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated very much.

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
Not just the cheapest (well to be honest it'd probably no longer the cheapest) but the best value would be the raspberry pi
It's perfectly capable and when tweaked and clocked runs fine, although after awhile you may find that you long for something better / faster

At that point consider a nuc

However don't discount any current hardware you have, pretty much any half decent laptop / desktop will run xbmc

Dunkle

Jun 5, 2013
I'm afaraid I don't know what is good for $ prices as in uk
Most of that stuff in link looks overkill
All you need is a pi board (you don't even need a case but it's best) an sd card, a USB stick, a remote ( mind you can use cec if tv supports it and not even need this) and a hdmi cable

You song actually need the usb stick but things be better if you so, run from USB = faster

Go have quick look around the pi forum for more answers

In uk if you go to ebay and type pi xbmc you get loads of sellers selling an xbmc build kit for not too bad money, it may be cheaper to buy bits seperate and diy but usually not by much

Buy one, see how get on, if like, buy more