Intel NUC VS Asus Chromebox

CaptainHarlock

Mar 19, 2014
I would like to upgrade my OUYA setup with a more powerful XBMC box.

Budget: aprox. 250$ or less

Choice of OS: OpenELEC

What box would be the best overall choice for me?

1-Purchased a Intel NUC right now like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Next-Computing-Black-BOXDCCP847DYE/dp/B00B7I8HZ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1395776148&sr=1-1&keywords=nuc

*here I would probably add 4 or 8 GB of RAM and use a USB key for the OS + a external HDD for the storage (already own one).

OR

2-Wait that some stock will be made available for the upcoming Asus Chromebook (suggested retail price: 179$, Fanless with 2GB of RAM included and 16GB SSD, launch in less than a month):

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-CHROMEBOX-M004U-ASUS-Desktop/dp/B00IT1WJZQ/ref=pd_sim_pc_1/192-2456862-4502802?ie=UTF8&refRID=1RPFB97K7PH10WYCTW69

Last edited:

CaptainHarlock

Mar 19, 2014
Bump

I found a place online where the Asus Chromebox is in stock. It was shipping on March 14 in the US and it is currently back order at most place I have checked. I'm almost sure that it is a better device than the Intel NUC from the specs I found for both devices.

Is there anyone here that got a chance to try this box with OpenELEC?

I would obv appeciate any comments on this. :)

Thank you!

Last edited:

CaptainHarlock

Mar 19, 2014
There's a thread over at xbmc.org about the Asus Chromebook,

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=185329
Thank you! I will definitively read all the comments in the other thread.

I finally ordered one today for 179$ that will replace my OUYA. I guess I will probably be the first one here to evaluate the Asus Chromebox.

I'll post a personal review as soon as OpenELEC will be installed and fully working on it.

Anyway, I'm still looking to find the best remote for this setup....so let me know if you have some suggestions for me. ;)

Also, the chromebox comes with only 2GB of RAM by default and I'm wondering if it's more than enough for OpenELEC or I still could see a good performance improvement if I would add another 2GB to it? There are suppose to have a empty slot ready for that in the Chromebox.

Last edited:

CaptainHarlock

Mar 19, 2014
Bump:

I have received my Asus Chromebox (MSRP 179$USD) a few days ago and I just finished to setup it up into a fully functionnal HTPC with XBMC and all the add-ons.

I succeed after spending long hours trying differents kind of setup to finally get one where everything was working flawlessly on it. I mean EVRYTHING...and the setup that I have on it right now is rock solid. Ubuntu is very fast and responsive. XBMC, the graphic driver and HDMI (with sound working on the same cable) are working fine.

It is at least a 500-600% increase in performance and stability (so far) over my previous OUYA setup running SPMC. Thanks to the Haswell architecture. I'm 100% satisfied...;)

FYI I'm running the chromebox with the stock hardware on the cheapest model (Celeron + 2GB RAM, 16GB SSD) and the performance are perfectly fine for HTPC needs and XBMC. I only add a external USB HDD to get more storage for my data.

However, not all kind of Linux distros are possible at this time for the chromebox. This is due to a USB3/firmware/legacyBIOS issue. This will likely get fixed in a near future but a direct OpenElec installation is not possible atm. The only setup that has worked without issues for me with this machine was a full installation of ubuntu with XBMC.

Important: Forget the popular crouton script for now. You must use chrubuntu on it to get the full potentiel of the box and you must absolutely install Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy) to get the full Intel drivers support. This is the instructions that I have followed to get my current installation (minus the hardware upgrade part in my case):

http://www.willispickering.com/content/upgrade-asus-chromebox-add-more-memory-and-ssd-and-ubuntu

Cheers!

By the way, I now have a OUYA for sale...

Last edited:

twd

May 7, 2012
I received my Asus Chromebox today. Trying to follow the guide on wiki.xbmc.org, but for some reason I'm unable to putting the Chromebox in recovery mode. I'm pressing the recovery button (using a paperclip), then pressing power... but all it does is take me to a black screen. When I try to reboot Chrome OS is loading again and nothing has happened.

loki05

Jul 23, 2014
I followed the instructions thoroughly and the hardest thing for me was the resolution of the chromebox to my TV. I had to really be careful within linux to make sure i type the commands correctly. Other than that, this is a very KILLER setup that I am extremely happy with. I chose to go the Openelec standalone route, and it is super fast, reliable, and responsive. Thank you MATT!!

Here's my setup just to show you how quick reboot is and also show the following:

- stream movie
- stream tv shows
- stream sports

[video=youtube_share;7gKnTf_Akaw]http://youtu.be/7gKnTf_Akaw[/video]

Hope this helps some of you out!

Last edited:

LilSnoop40

Nov 27, 2012
Hi, I just purchased one of these ASUS CHROMEBOX-M004U Desktop to run just openelec/xbmc. what's the best guide for it. I am hoping to replace my amazon fire tv boxes with these. I loved the way openelec ran on my RPI's when I had them... are these ASUS CHROMEBOX-M004U Desktop the real deal and easy to setup?

Thanks, the one box I order will be here on Sunday!

LilSnoop40

Nov 27, 2012
Lot of people seem to say this box is good stuff, worst not it goes back to Amazon. So wanna get the right guide and get it up and running, hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

LilSnoop40

Nov 27, 2012
Well I got my ASUS chromebox yesterday and installed Openelec on it to stand alone boot. It's must boot to Openelec in 5 seconds. Must say its the smoothest running box I have ever used for XBMC. I have used RPI's and Amazon fire tv's and now this. I just ordered two more that will be here on Tuesday. Highly recommended.

Love it