Internet network?

ocmdiaz714

May 6, 2012
It may be just a wacky idea, but would it be possible to play the media in my home PC over the Internet? I mean, I know it can be accessed locally, but say I take my XBMC system to work, and would like to access the media from my home PC there. Would it be possible? What would I need?

Thanks.

nothere

Banned
Nov 25, 2012
Why not create an ftp server as umouch says. Add it as a source (as fusion is) and you're good to go.

ocmdiaz714

May 6, 2012
Why not create an ftp server as umouch says. Add it as a source (as fusion is) and you're good to go.
VPN, Server, Dropbox, Mega, Remote Desktop. Thanks for the help guys. Which of this services would allow me to share my media without uploading any of it to the internet?

ocmdiaz714

May 6, 2012
Plex seems great so far! I can't wait to receive my Edimax WiFi adapter and test it out. What settings are you guys using for Plex? The WiFi at my work is slow, and I went with with 8mpbs 1080p under the app's settings, as well as under the Plex's online settings for both local and remote.

calisto

May 8, 2012
Is it very hard to create a FTP server? Have got a Zykel nas drive at my place, how would I view it at a m8's?

Thanks

ocmdiaz714

May 6, 2012
Ok I'm loving the Plex system and interface, and it gave me no problems streaming locally, but I couldn't access the server from my iPhone Plex app through my work's WiFi. I hope it's only because I have my home PC locked at the moment. I really don't want to mess around with my router's (DD-WRT) setting when I don't know what to do.

mash2k3

Banned
Dec 21, 2012
Baltimore,MD
Ok I'm loving the Plex system and interface, and it gave me no problems streaming locally, but I couldn't access the server from my iPhone Plex app through my work's WiFi. I hope it's only because I have my home PC locked at the moment. I really don't want to mess around with my router's (DD-WRT) setting when I don't know what to do.
im afraid you have to, i think port forwarding and allow plex port to be accessed outside your home network

boognish43

May 30, 2012
im afraid you have to, i think port forwarding and allow plex port to be accessed outside your home network
Yeah you'll need to forward ports.. look for some guides that walk you through it.. not too difficult

Ftp isn't hard to setup but it will attempt to stream your files at full bitrate which may not work well with your internet upload speed/bandwidth

ocmdiaz714

May 6, 2012
Yeah I actually did enable UPnP and it seems as if Plex took care of the rest. I think the connection wasn't working because my internet was down for some reason. I reset the router and I'm now able to access the server via 3G. Would 1080p 8mbps be pushing it for WiFi streaming or am I in the safe?

KathieGen

Mar 7, 2013
There are many ways. You can create a server, Dropbox, BPN or a remote desktop.

Last edited:

woodypecker

Dec 16, 2012
The default plex port is 32400. Just log into your router from main PC via its IP and open that port for the IP of the computer that has the plex server. Add that server and port into plexbmc