Is gethub constantly tracking members?

SOGLAD5

Jun 5, 2018
MICROSOFT NOW OWNS GETHUB and I seriously DOUBT if they will be "friendly", but here is MORE!

I suspect GETHUB is tracking ALL of it's members?
I may be way off base on this but here is what I discovered:

I installed GETHUB a few days ago and made some system/network changes today. Next I wanted to test my Internet speed at dslreports com... (add a dot)

Then I noticed THIS red warning from dslreports:

"WARNING alien script detected
*MIXPANEL*/libs/mixpanel-2-latest.min.js"

(Please know the editor here did not allow me to leave the actual IP address in that script so I substitued the OWNER name for cdn mxpnl insert a dot in the middle and a com)

OK so who OWNS cdn mxpnl com? Google says: MIXPANEL, Inc
And WHAT do they own? Google says: GETHUB!

Wikipedia says (in part) about MIXPANEL, Inc: ...MIXPANEL is a business analytics service company. It tracks user interactions with web and ....

Here is more:
I only see the Warning when I use Chrome and the above speedtest site. Otherwise there is no hint of tracking... and I do clean my cookies almost every day. Malwarebytes detects nothing odd either.

Since finding the warning I deleted *everything* I could find relating to GETHUB! This includes:
My ACCOUNT, my keys and all I could find connected to GETHUB and cdn mxpnl on my system (Win 7 64 Pro).

I also did a through check for GETHUB (and more) in my registry... nothing obvious left. I also blocked the MXPNL site in my Firewall.

A reboot and retest ~ the "Warning" is still there! Wish I could include the FULL TEXT of that warning link, but you can still do that GETHUB Owner check yourself. To be clear, I never received a similar Warning from dslreports until I installed GETHUB.

And I understand that I may be totally wrong about this and if I am, please kindly let me know? One can always learn.

Thanks for reading this.
SOGLAD5

SOGLAD5

Jun 5, 2018
Thank you for your reply, RavBob!

I am Happy that you don't think I'm totally loco.

SOGLAD5
Anthony

SOGLAD5

Jun 5, 2018
More ~ INFO IS GETHUB TRACKING US?

Here is more...

As I said in my original post, these warnings are from:
hxxx://www.dslreports.com and they read:

"Warning
alien script detected hxxx://cdn.mxpnl.com/libs/mixpanel-2-latest.min.js"

ON my drive ~ I FOUND this script in two places:

mixpanel-2-latest.min.js
dated 6/6/2018 and they are 61kb in size.

This just happens to be the same day I installed GETHUB

A Google search for:
"what is mixpanel-2-latest.min"

FINDS (in part):

Installing the library
To start tracking with the Mixpanel JavaScript library, just paste the following code into the page you want to track inside the <head> and </head> tags. Make sure to change 'YOUR_TOKEN' to your project token. You can find your project token in the settings dialog in the Mixpanel web application.

My plan:

I plan to make two files of the same name and zero bytes. I will install them after heavily protecting/locking them with maximum file protection(s). After a through system clean I will reboot and go to [/I] hxxx://www.dslreports.com to see if the script warning is still there? Then I will check my files to see if they are changed or attacked?

If you have any ideas about this issue your insight will be greatly appreciated! Am I totally wrong about this?

Me to you,
SOGLAD5

FORD

Oct 24, 2013
Whether or not this turns out to be true, it's ultimately not going to be good news to put the largest repository of open source coding in the hands of the most infamous proprietary software corporation on the planet.

If it wasn't Microsoft, it probably would have been Google, which would have been just as bad. Possibly worse since Google often buys things just so they can shut them down (Sage TV) or rebrand them as a crippled version of what they once were (Grand Central VOIP which mutated into Google Voice).

Either way they will probably find a way to inject ad/spam code into all the GitHub projects, since Windows 10 seems to be rivalling Android in terms of becoming an ad delivery system as opposed to an operating system.

SOGLAD5

Jun 5, 2018
Your words are truly ominous and as you point out, both MS and Google are quite self-serving and both only care about TOTAL CONTROL of data and PROFITS.

America loves to tout it's Constitution and Bill of Rights ~ but these two companies ~ like no others ~ have ripped these concepts and "protections" to shreds!

The other REAL "tragedy" is most Americans are sleeping and may STAY that way for the duration? Bless Snowden (and just a few others) for being the TRUE Patriots of today... They have sacrificed their lives and have been effectively CRUCIFIED by the feds for simply telling the truth.

Again, it's sad but I agree with you ~ BOTH companies will do *everything* IN their power for even MORE!

S5

Jcat

Oct 29, 2018
I can't agree more , Constitution is going in the toilet when it comes to corporations.

SOGLAD5

Jun 5, 2018
UPDATE: April 30, 2019

Note: I would help if you read my original post:
Jun 5, 2018
Thought I would review this old issue tonight (4/30/19). Tonight I found no trace of: mixpanel-2-latest.min.js on my drives or in my registry, however, I did find this online while I was at it:

https://help.mixpanel.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000865566-Set-up-Your-Tracking

SUBTOPIC: MIXPANEL

It reads in part: "The following article provides an overview of the JavaScript library installation process, event tracking, and profile creation". Now within the text they mention: mixpanel-2-latest.min.js as part of their code.

Here is part of what I found within that script, but I confess I am a total rookie when it comes to code BUT, this does not sound friendly to me...

"track track_pageview track_links track_forms register register_once alias unregister identify name_tag set_config reset opt_in_tracking opt_out_tracking has_opted_in_tracking has_opted_out_tracking clear_opt_in_out_tracking people.set people.set_once people.unset people.increment people.append people.union people.track_charge people.clear_charges people.delete_user"

I've been to GETHUB several times since I deleted mixpanel-2-latest.min.js but now there is no trace of that file on my drives/registry/system anywhere? Could be "they" installed it, ran it, then changed the filename and process to something else and perhaps the tracking still remains? It remains a mystery to me.

SOGLAD